FP+ Royally sucks

Amazing how user experiences differ. While I don't think I'm a fan of FP+ (withholding judgement until after our trip at the end of July), I can't say that I've found using the new system all that difficult. Sure, a minor snafu here and there getting tickets properly linked, but it was inconvenience I could take in stride, no major catastrophes. I guess I'll count myself as lucky. We didn't make dining reservations or FP+ until about 6 weeks out, and we got everything where and when we wanted it for our party of 12. Yes, it required taking a set of FP+ times that didn't work for us, and then rescheduling them via the app for times that did work. Took an hour I really didn't want to spend, but it got done. Maybe we got lucky with our days, or maybe it's that we wanted mostly pm FastPasses, but we got time we wanted. Sorry some have had such difficulty, but hang in there, it will all be worth it!

Sounds like it's not working right today. Even if it's a bad system, the only thing we can tell the OP is that there is still a chance he can get what he wants, if he keeps looking and changing his times, which is about all he can do. (you can't change a FP to a time when you already have another FP. You have to move that one first. But it sounds like that is not the OP's problem as he says it gave him times late at night and he wants to change them to morning/early afternoon, but he does not want them at anytime during the first hour the park is open. Maybe the first 2, I couldn't tell.)

Personally I've always gotten most of what I wanted at the times I've wanted them, and without jumping on right at midnight either.

Biggest issue so far has really been waiting around for them to release the FPs for the Mark Hamill show, that was a mess.

You know the thing that I find the most ridiculous is Disney spent sooooo much moneyyyyy on this system and you literally have to jump through hoops to get it to work, spend hours months in advance to get the ride you want. I mean I'm reading people need to book a time then try to rebook it at later date and hope you get the time. Heck I need a secret decoder ring at this point.:confused3 A vacation should not be this frustrating to plan. How on earth is this better than the old system? At least when I had a slip of paper in my hand it wouldn't erase itself and leave me no fast pass! OP I wish to tell you I am sorry and hope it all works out for you! It's unfortunate that the brain trust at Disney couldn't come up with a more user friendly system than this one!

The online dining reservation system OpenTable was in existence YEARS before WDW had online dining. The IT dept. has always been a little slow.

Rest assured this OP is not "confused." I am fully aware of having to go back and try to change time. I was just on the site less than a minute ago, attempted to change my time for Space Mountain, and the first available is 9:45 (YAY! Lets waste the fact we woke up to RD with a first hour FP) the next is 3:05pm.

What times are your other FP+ scheduled for? It won't show you times where you already have something booked.

Sorry if you were offended by my post. I personally develop software systems for a living and think the user interface is horrible and totally non-intuitive. I was only trying to help by giving some specific instructions on how to make the changes since it seemed like everyone else was just saying things like "you can change it!" without stating exactly HOW to change it. Your original post made it sound like you thought you had to accept the times Disney gives you.

The only thing we couldn't get was Be Our Guest, but yesterday went on the standby line and only waiting 15 minutes, if that long. We were glad we got to try it, but we both agree the food and the atmosphere were nice, but nothing spectacular.

I had the opposite experience. All my Disney friends kept saying, "I can't believe you haven't been to BoG yet!" So we made a reservations for our most recent trip (and even kept it for 5:00pm even though my extended family had a 7:45pm reservation at San Angel. So yeah, we ate two dinners....)
Anyway, we LOVED it. I didn't want to leave. We were in the West Wing with the thunder and such. I really liked it, and I've only seen BatB once, 20 years ago. My wife had to explain the plot to me because I had so many questions. Anyway, its a must do for us now, which is nice because my wife is nearly a vegetarian and finds most late-night MK food inedible.

I was almost to the point of tears at 1:30am as well so I totally get you. Part of the problem is that the technology stinks.
Written from your laptop or iPad?? ;)
Sorry, not meant to pick on you, but I see similar sentiments posted elsewhere on this thread and also on Facebook, emails, etc...

Yes there is. I know of a system elsewhere in Orlando that everybody understands immediately and intuitively. With their pass, you walk up to any ride, any time, and go to the head of the line, as much as you want.

I think you're on to something! I call for ending FP entirely. No FP+, no legacy. Instead, those who stay at Deluxe hotels near MK get express passes for MK rides. Those who stay at Boardwalk resorts get Express passes for Epcot and HS. Those who stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge get Express passes for AK.

Not staying in a Deluxe resort? Its okay...you can buy a limited Express pass for anywhere from 50-$100 depending on day and availability.

Personally, based on my touring style, I don't see a problem with this. Does anyone else? :confused3

Sorry Judgey McJudgerton. Trying to make this once in a lifetime, first ever WDW trip for my lil' guy as perfect as it can be. Spent the last 3 months spending hours daily trying to plan everything out so when we get there, it is simply wave a band, have some fun. You keep being awesome, though, Kay!

We hear you're upset and I'm not trying to pile on. This question is more directed toward everyone who has posted a similar sentiment in the past 6 months: Does it really take hours every day for 3 months to plan your Disney vacation?
I recently planned two days at WDW, 4 night DCL cruise, and 3 days at WDW for June 13-21. This included 9 people total, 7 of whom had never been on a Disney Cruise before; 2 people in their 70s, and 3 kids under the age of 10. Between my sister and I, it took maybe a couple of non-consecutive days to pull it all together. The following was planned:
1. A total of 3 resort stays using cash and points, separately.
2. Disney cruise for 9 with adjoining rooms, same dining, etc...
3. FP+ for 7-9 (depending on thrill) for Space, Thunder, 7DMT; Test track, Mission Space. FP+ for 2 for TSMM, GMR, Tower (which I did not and will not ever go on;) 7DMT, Pan, Pooh; Maelstrom, Soarin' and Spaceship Earth.
4. ADRs for 2 at: BoG, Beaches and Cream, Sanaa; ADRs for 7 at San Angel; ADR for 6 at Via Napoli (one week in advance...local friends joined us.)

Those are just the things we had to plan in advance. Doesn't count the general touring plan or account for inevitable afternoon storms and child meltdowns.

Again, we're all sorry that you and others experience difficulty, what's happening that it is taking so long to plan for some and so little time for others?

Yep. Also, the self checkout is something most people will use very frequently and eventually learn to avoid the pitfalls. I've seen people that claim that guests will eventually reach a comfort level with MM+, but the number of new users is always high

I don't know the numbers, but using anecdotal evidence: On my last trip, every time we were early for a FP time, we'd stand by the "gate" for a few minutes. Every 30 seconds, someone would approach the CM and ask "Where do I buy a FP for this ride?" or say "Hi, I'd like a FP for this ride." And the CM would calmly (and for the 20th time that hour) explain the FP system to the guest and directly them to standby.

Anyway, this happened at an alarming rate. Like literally every 30 seconds. I was ready to smack these people after the 5th time...I can't imagine how the CM kept their professionalism. I think regardless, a decent number of guests just aren't going to plan. They are the same guests that never knew there were FPs you could pull. Disney know their numbers, and we've all heard the rumors, but there is a large contingent that doesn't know about or use FPs and never has.

Amazing how user experiences differ. While I don't think I'm a fan of FP+ (withholding judgement until after our trip at the end of July), I can't say that I've found using the new system all that difficult. Sure, a minor snafu here and there getting tickets properly linked, but it was inconvenience I could take in stride, no major catastrophes. I guess I'll count myself as lucky. We didn't make dining reservations or FP+ until about 6 weeks out, and we got everything where and when we wanted it for our party of 12. Yes, it required taking a set of FP+ times that didn't work for us, and then rescheduling them via the app for times that did work. Took an hour I really didn't want to spend, but it got done. Maybe

Again I think people OVERPLAN and get really frustrated when they think the perfect vacation will go down the tubes. I don't understand it but I agree the system should JUST WORK for everyone.

That being said I found it great to sit down with my wife and go over each day of which rides we want to do. Not ahead of time but at night. We chatted about what we likely wanted for the guaranteed 3 and even remembered some funny and fun times from last summer. This was a great experience and not pressure. If I couldn't get Toy Story right at 11am I didn't care my vacation is wide open and even my ADRs are up in the air and likely to get changed from now until we go.

Not saying one is right or wrong but it would seem a more relaxed view will help. Schedule your FP+ with a rough schedule in mind and then over plan if you want to.

PS- If we had kids (will at some point) I would not let them know we get 3 choices ahead of time. I would either pick for them or get them to rank all the rides in Disney World and mix and match my kids wants. Also I wouldn't hide A+E from them if we couldn't get FP+ I would let them know its a waste of time and teach them they can't do everything they want in life. Kind of like my mom giving me $1 per day on our trips when I was younger, if I bought a candy bar that book I found on the Civil War later would have to be sacrificed.

Sorry, but I don't buy your analogy. I'm a grown intelligent person that has absolutely 'no' problems in your situation above.

Fastpass+ - a big huge pain that shouldn't have to be navigated on what is supposed to be a 'fun, happy, relaxed vacation' for all ages and levels of intellect. :headache:

:thumbsup2

My in-laws would totally agree. They visted Disney 2 times a year, but stopped attending/going because this is too difficult for them. They are 67 years old and do not want to have to log into a computer nor do they use smartphones. They feel that Disney has spoken loud and clear that they are not a target audience for Disney. Sure, they dont HAVE to reserve Fastpasses to go to Disney, but then their waits are really long and they miss out on attractions they really want to do.

Again I think people OVERPLAN and get really frustrated when they think the perfect vacation will go down the tubes. I don't understand it but I agree the system should JUST WORK for everyone.

That being said I found it great to sit down with my wife and go over each day of which rides we want to do. Not ahead of time but at night. We chatted about what we likely wanted for the guaranteed 3 and even remembered some funny and fun times from last summer. This was a great experience and not pressure.

As soon as I plan a WDW trip (which is usually on the flight home from the last trip, if not sooner,) I make a rough outline of the trip - I make basic DVC reservations, and ADR or two, and try to align where I want to be each day. THEN, I say to my wife, "So, let's talk about our Disney trip!" This is 6 months in advance... She just looks at me and says, "why bother? It's just going to change!" Ok, so she's right...I will change 75% of what we're doing in the upcoming months, but we do like to discuss which rides we want to FP, which new restaurants we want to try, where we want to stay, etc... The discussions ahead of the trip are one of my favorite things about trip!

:thumbsup2

My in-laws would totally agree. They visted Disney 2 times a year, but stopped attending/going because this is too difficult for them. They are 67 years old and do not want to have to log into a computer nor do they use smartphones. They feel that Disney has spoken loud and clear that they are not a target audience for Disney. Sure, they dont HAVE to reserve Fastpasses to go to Disney, but then their waits are really long and they miss out on attractions they really want to do.

Tell it to these people.... (if your not using computers your way behind at this point and not in touch with society)

research_seniors_social_media.jpg

PS- here is some help for you with them to avoid :badpc:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ip...grandparents-tech-questions/story?id=18057191

EDIT - Changed picture

That's IF you want to go the ADVANCED route. I would guess quite a few people get there times and just leave them never moving them around.

Remember this board is a "planning" forum so moving the times to exactly 11:15 and 27 seconds is important here. haha The average use of FP- was 3 FP- a day yet you always heard of people using 4/5/6/7 FP- in a day on this forum. Your dealing with an abnormal sample here from us abnormal WDW lovers.

But isn't the whole deal with FP+ that you are SUPPOSED to get to choose your times? Of course it's going to be easy to just take the time the system gives you. But that's what legacy FP did. With far fewer glitches.

You know the thing that I find the most ridiculous is Disney spent sooooo much moneyyyyy on this system and you literally have to jump through hoops to get it to work, spend hours months in advance to get the ride you want. I mean I'm reading people need to book a time then try to rebook it at later date and hope you get the time. Heck I need a secret decoder ring at this point.:confused3 A vacation should not be this frustrating to plan. How on earth is this better than the old system? At least when I had a slip of paper in my hand it wouldn't erase itself and leave me no fast pass! OP I wish to tell you I am sorry and hope it all works out for you! It's unfortunate that the brain trust at Disney couldn't come up with a more user friendly system than this one!

And people used to complain that legacy FP rewarded the people with the "inside information" that you could use them after the window. With FP+ there are so many little "secret handshakes" I'm surprised those same people haven't had their heads explode.

Also for every glitch there is a person not experiencing a glitch. Not to say a glitch should happen but it DOES happen there is no way around it.

Where else in the world is a 50% success rate satisfactory?

Disney's website was terrible before the implementation of MDE. It always crashed and on more then one occasiion it would lose my reservations and I would have to call.

Now it's worse.

I can't help but think that if folks totally avoid WDW because they don't want to use a computer or a smart phone, then there already are and in the future are going to be a lot more things that they will have to avoid.

Tell it to these people.... (if your not using computers your way behind at this point and not in touch with society)

research_seniors_social_media.jpg

PS- here is some help for you with them to avoid :badpc:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ip...grandparents-tech-questions/story?id=18057191

EDIT - Changed picture

That doesn't mean those people want to use their technology in a theme park. Or plan their rides 2 months out.

That's the same mistake I believe Disney made........ assuming that since people like technology that they want to be tied to that technology on vacation at Disney.

I find your remarks amazing, and not in a good way! Some people do not want to use computers and smart phone while they are on vacation. It's fine that you like using tech, but it should not be mandatory!

I can't help but think that if folks totally avoid WDW because they don't want to use a computer or a smart phone, then there already are and in the future are going to be a lot more things that they will have to avoid.

My parents are roughly 70 years old. Both use Smartphones, but not particularly well. My mom is pretty good on the computer, but I doubt either one could successfully make FP+ reservations. Unless my sister or I are headed to WDW, they have zero interest in going there by themselves. And they live an hour away from WDW. At 70 years old, they've been to WDW probably 20 times and frankly they'd rather go to dinner at the beach than go to WDW. My dad has even cut down his golf schedule because its too tiring.

When I think about it, though, I think having FP+ reservations would be easier for them than having no reservations. If I said, "Hey folks, between 11:00am-12:00pm you'll ride Pan. At 12:00-1:00pm, you'll eat at Liberty Tree Tavern. At 1:30-2:30, you'll ride Haunted Mansion. And at 2:30-3:30 Dad will ride BTMRR," I think they'd be more likely to go. But they're too old to just wander into WDW in the middle of the day.

But isn't the whole deal with FP+ that you are SUPPOSED to get to choose your times? Of course it's going to be easy to just take the time the system gives you. But that's what legacy FP did. With far fewer glitches.

And people used to complain that legacy FP rewarded the people with the "inside information" that you could use them after the window. With FP+ there are so many little "secret handshakes" I'm surprised those same people haven't had their heads explode.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Disney did NOT change it so you could pick times at the park. Disney did this so more people would use FP and they could better track people in the parks. It has nothing to do with legacy people at all.

Being able to pick a time is a perk and something Disney did to at least appease the historical FP users.

Also there is no secret handshake to get 3 FP+.... Also if you go back to check your FP+ times just 1 time in the 30-60 days leading up to your trip you will find that you can "change" or "replace" your FP+ times. Again though FP+ is meant to get 3 FP+ for 3 rides into everyones hands, the picking a time is secondary and from my point of view is an advanced feature.

Think about it this way when you install a program on a customer you have the normal prompts and you can do an easy install with things pre-selected for you. Or you can go with ADVANCED features where you can specifically define what gets installed, where, how much of the files, and so on.

FP+ is foremost meant for you to log-on pick 3 rides it gives you 3 times and you show up at Disney in 30-60 days. The ability to change times is meant for a more advanced user or someone who goes to Disney quite a bit....

I don't have any tickets on my account so I can't play around with FP, but maybe someone could take screen shots and highlight the entire process for OP? Just to make sure she is trying the correct thing. Obviously FPs are not got this far out, so either it is user error or something wacky with the system.
I would LOVE if someone did this ^ I have not entered my tix as other (non-tech disney issues) occured yesterday and not sure if our dates are changing, everyone still going etc so I don't want to enter tix in case I need to return them. That said, I know so many could benefit from this so if anyone is willing, PLEASE?
Have to agree. I am going in July and found the whole thing aggravating so I didn't even bother.
I can see myself making this same choice possibly, I will give it a shot, but if it is too frustrating I will pass it off to another family member , If they get too frustrated, gonna wing it.
I kinda have the Eeyore complex. Even if I DO get 7DMT I'm pretty sure a storm will brew and it will shut down during my slot, lol. Then all those folks in line will mosey along with us to nearby rides that will now have long lines. It's been almost 6 years since we have been, maybe I should leave good memories where they are and re-think this. We are planning on MNSSHP, that sounds like a level playing field...NO FP allowed lol.

Disney found a way to lock the average guest into planning 6 months out , getting them emotionally vested and financially once they activate those tickets. Keeping everyone on their site instead of other vacation site, Tripadvisor whatever, looking into other destinations. I am NOT looking forward to the possibility of increased unhappy Disneyer's :scared: The "happy magic" appears to be overshadowed by the "I was supposed to be able to" and constantly needing to visit our handheld technology instead of enjoying the fun and interactive ques. I'm envisioning lines for charging lockers/stations/hearing arguments on "how could you let your phone die!" etc. Poor Walt, pretty sure this wasn't his vision of family fun.

As for the new system, next time I am job hunting I think I will list WDWFP+system down as a technical skill :rotfl2:

Hang in there everyone ...(myself included)remember the rumor of changes coming in July :scared:..or maybe that was just for the FROZEN stuff at DHS?
To the OP...my DS was 5 on his first trip. We did a split stay ASMU/CR North Wing (what is now BLT)We had a ground level room facing MK and the monorail track (back then that was a standard view) The monorail and seeing the castle were his favorite things of the whole trip, I kid you not. He is about to turn 20 and his WDW goal is STILL for a tower room facing MK, for just one night if that's all that can be done. I think your little guy will have an amazing trip because he will be there with family that loves him and see things that he has never seen, be immersed 24/7 in the House of Mouse and seriously, the over-stimulation never stops. Kids that young do not know what they are missing, and parents have to remember to follow the child's lead once in a while and "wander off" to what interests them at the moment.
Yes ~ $, time (which is keeping you from other important things during your summer, I imagine) are all being sucked dry for this...we appreciate our low cost, free hiking-exploring Colorado Mountain trips even more thanks to WDW ;)
Ironically our DD JUST moved to Orlando (no she doesn't work for Disney)got her AP and is excited, anxious for us to visit a LOT...and we are just not feeling the parks anymore. I know she loves going tho, so having that "I can go whenever" makes a HUGE difference. The locals prob LOVE FP+, the rest of us further away with much more at stake, maybe not so much.

I find your remarks amazing, and not in a good way! Some people do not want to use computers and smart phone while they are on vacation. It's fine that you like using tech, but it should not be mandatory!

But it's not mandatory. You can still go to WDW without using FP+ or ever turning on your computer to do anything related to your trip or bringing your phone with you on vacation. If that is what you want to do. You're not totally excluded. If your personal technology ban extends to the in-park FP kiosks then you won't be using FP+ at all, but that does not mean that you won't be able to experience ANY attractions. You'll be waiting for them though. Kind of like the old days when nobody had any FP and you had to wait for everything.

If you didn't make restaurant reservations (and you don't have to do that on a computer, you can call the dining line or you can make them in person with Guest Services or a resort concierge) you probably won't be getting into the ultrapopular restaurants, but there are plenty of other restaurants.

but those who want to avoid the entire thing because they don't want to use computers and smartphones can do that also. There's going to be more things that go digital in the future though. No getting around it. What WDW is doing is just the beginning.

The locals prob LOVE FP+, the rest of us further away with much more at stake, maybe not so much.

They don't when they decide to just drop in for a day and they can't book any headliners.

It shouldn't be mandatory. And on my last trip, I could have written my MK FP+ times on a piece of paper and kept it in my pocket. But I used my phone because I had to coordinate the times and places of 9 people. Otherwise, I didn't need it.

If I showed up to a ride during my FP time and it was down, I would ask the CM what I'm supposed to do. They would be able to tell me whatever was sent in the "Your ride is down" email.

Smartphones aren't necessary. Helpful to some, but not required.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter