Formula options for infants

Every formula recommends using boiled water, but that is because not everyone has access to clean potable water.

The rule of thumb is, if YOU can drink out of your tap safely, so can your baby, and you can use that water to make formula without boiling it.

If you have well water, you are supposed to boil it before using it for formula.

When mine were young and we went to Disneyland, I brought powder formula and filled up the water at the water fountains or baby care center (where they have filtered water spigots). My kids lived.

WDW water is safe to drink. It tastes kind of weird though, so you babies might not like the formula.

You can purchase Dasani bottled water at the hotel gift shop and in all the parks. You can use that to make formula. The hotel gift shop will be open when you arrive, but you can also buy a couple bottles at the airport when you get there.

Geez...I really hope you haven't been wasting so much time boiling water at home if you didn't need to...

Add me to the "never boiled water" club.

When we traveled with my son when he was still drinking formula, I got cases of individual (8 oz) ready to go bottles. I just dumped those into his regular bottle and off we went! I washed the bottles the best I could in hot water each night. Super super super easy. And he survived just fine. :)

Our son is adopted and exclusively formula fed. If you have well water, lead pipes, or your city has a high level of fluoride in it's municipal water supply then you can't use straight from the tap to mix powdered formula. Our city's water is far below the fluoride limit so we have never boiled it (Pediatrician told us not to bother when we asked her).

However, when we travel we always spend the $$$ and get the similac ready to drink individual bottles. We bring the nipples from home and use them with the provided ring right on the ready bottles. We plan to order them from Garden Grocer for our upcoming trip. I would buy some at your home supermarket and test it on the kids before you order for WDW - we all know babies are picky.

It's Nestle Goodstart (I'm from Canada). The company actually recommends using water that has been boiled for 3 minutes

I'm from Canada too, never boiled water to make DD's bottles when she was little. I used bottled water when travelling. I did make sure to bring enough Canadian formula when we went to the US. US formulas are different even if the brands are the same and can cause stomach issues if you use the different formula.

My package of Emfamil says to use boiled water too, but I've never done that, and all the moms I'm around have never done that either. I honestly think it's just a safety/liability issue that they say to boil the water, since they cannot know what type of water the customer is using with the formula. Our city's water has won awards for being some of the best drinking water in the US, they even make bottled water out of our tap water.

Honestly, I would bring bottled water with you, and use it straight out of the bottle. It's been manufactured to be safe to drink. My formula makes little single use packets, much like the favored-powder packets you see to flavor water. It's wonderful for travel. They also make ready-to-drink versions of my formula too, but they only come in 8oz sizes, and my LO is still drinking only 4oz at a time.

We traveled with our son when he was on formula. I never boiled anything. Just used bottled water and mixed with formula. I would just pick up whatever water was available in the park and mix with formula my son never had a problem with it. I know every kid is different. as far as cleaning the bottles I brought a bucket from home (the one I got from the hospital to wash with) and used dapple and let the bottles soak over night and aired dried. If it not a hot time of year you can just bring distilled water with you in the bottle and just mix the powder into it when you are ready. they sell containers to hold formula on amazon. don't make it more difficult then it has to be its actually easy with the formula

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter