Formula for Taking into Account Points Chart in Purchase Price

L+JDisneyFans

Earning My Ears
Has anyone formulated (or tried to formulate) a coherent formula for taking into account the points chart at different resorts when calculating the cost per point?

For example, AKL points are cheaper on a simple cost basis than VGF. But taking into account that AKL villas take fewer points to book than the same type of villas at VGF, the price discrepancy between points at those resorts is likely higher than just the simple math may reveal at first glance.

I think there was something done like that as I remember seeing it years ago.

But, sometimes it’s just as simple to look at how many points it takes for a weeks stay at each and calculate based on that with average prices.

For us, the less expensive resorts for stays we’re not ones we wanted so regardless of savings, it wasn’t worth it. Though we did buy 500 SSR to use elsewhere as SAPs which has been a nice way to get 1 bedrooms at our resorts of choice.

That makes sense. I thought I could save myself some work (read: be lazy!) if someone else had already done the leg work.

When DVC adjusts points chart, do they adjust them all in the same proportion for each resort?

There are resources out there from people who have done different math and what not but I don't have any links to any of it.

Another option is simply run the math on when you personally would be going and plan fake trips. This is partly what I did to really calculate cost differences.

I saw this done years ago. In general the idea was to buy SSR points and stay at AKL standard or OKW for the ultimate best "value" of your purchase. I imagine that's the same now. SSR has the lowest dues and that dues rate matters more than the resale cost over the long run. SSR also has a later expiration than OKW. I also think AKL purchase and only staying AKL value would be the best overall value but there's no guarantee of getting a AKL value room so that's why that wasn't the #1 choice.

I've been waiting for a recession to drive points down like back in 2012/2013 but the covid thing just drove resale point costs up! I bought an AKL a couple months ago for $108 and it was taken by ROFR and now AKL is like $120.

DVCCurious is getting frustrated!!!!!!

I understand your concern about the prices, but sometimes people (including me) get too caught up on getting a good deal and are liable to think less about the bigger picture of enjoying what you’re buying. Does $500 make a material difference in your finances, but is that same amount preventing you from something that will be worth a great deal more value in your life (which is admittedly hard to quantify)? You could also justify it from a strict dollars and cents you perspective, every year you wait is a year closer to deed expiration, and a year closer to making the whole purchase entirely worthless.

I took a stab at something like what you're talking about. I called them "common size points charts".

https://www.disboards.com/threads/common-size-points-charts.3774514/
A couple issues off the top:
- DVC now has 7 seasons, not 5. So my data is outdated (though likely not much different).
- Pay special attention to my underlying assumptions. My analysis is most relevant for 11-month bookings at home resorts.
- With fewer years remaining on each resort, my analysis/commentary would need to be updated.

I think the points charts are super important, especially in cases like Boardwalk & Beach Club.

Hopefully some of my almost 2-year-old work helps!

That chain was exactly the kind of info I was after. It also confirmed my assumptions in what was true.
Thank you very much!

To answer your question I think a great example is BRV vs AKV Value Studio. (Studios being hard to get but this is an extreme example).

F & W 1 week BRV Studio 121 vs AKV Value Studio 69 which is a 57% difference in points.

100 BRV contract is around $12,000+ vs 100 AKV contract is around $14,500+ plus closing with similar MF's say $8.50 PP. I look at the contract as the "vehicle" and MF's as the "gas" I put into it every year. $2500 isn't much in the long run, however shorter expiration of BRV and high number of points needed makes AKV a great value in this example without breaking down the cost per year...

103 points for 6 nights at BRV or $877/$146 night vs 96 points for 10 nights at AKV or $816/$82 night which is a significant difference.

Simple math is AKV costs 18% more to purchase a contract, but you get 39% more for your points vs BRV.

All that being said, forgive me if my math is off however this might give you a formula to work with in the most simple terms. Good luck!

The chain that Ray3127 posted included a ranking of most economical resorts when taking into account point charts. In short, it concludes that SSR, OKW (extended) and AKV are , in that order, the best value when taking into account the points chart.
The other interesting conclusion is that the high end resorts (particularly VGF) are a lot per point and have less favorable point charts, so it’s a bit of a double whammy on those.

Has anyone formulated (or tried to formulate) a coherent formula for taking into account the points chart at different resorts when calculating the cost per point?

For example, AKL points are cheaper on a simple cost basis than VGF. But taking into account that AKL villas take fewer points to book than the same type of villas at VGF, the price discrepancy between points at those resorts is likely higher than just the simple math may reveal at first glance.
There are sooooo many variables, it would be a "Calculus of a Multiple Variable" problem with answers that guide you to a range, not a specific hard number.
That being said, time of travel is an interesting consideration as well. BWV Studios in January are only 73 points for the week. If you can snag one of those weeks at 7 Mo. using SSR points, that is a good bargain. We've been successful at this 3 times in 6 tries!
My overallpoint is - the Management/Usage of one's points is just as big a cost factor as the purchase price.
DVC is something that requires hands-on to maximize the benefits!

All good points. My original question assumed you would use your points at your home resort. Otherwise, it’s always best to buy the cheapest resort and then try to find a resort that works for you at the 7 month window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter