"Formal" Dress on Magic Last Week

Originally posted by plutospup
I own my tux, and I have the best reason in the world to wear it...the pants are expandable!!! After several days of eating I'm happy to wear pants that are comfortable!

My DH got the expandable tux pants also. They're great!

As for the kids, I would say that the shirt, tie, and dress pants for the young boys is fine. But I must say, that I saw several elementary school aged boys with tuxes and boy, did they look SHARP! I even commented to one about how nice he looked!

But if it's not in your budget, don't worry about tuxes.

I think how you dress "kids" depends on how old they are! Mine are 13 & 15 and will be following the adult dress code suggestions. That means we rented tux for DS. Of course DD couldn't WAIT to shop for a gown.

Actually, renting the tux meant less expense and greater ease in figuring out what he needed. All day every day he wears either jeans or shorts with tshirts or the hemmed tail short sleeve shirt. We bought one pair of black dress pants that will go with a variety of resort casual shirts for every other night and he'll wear the tux for formal and semi-formal. I think I need to find a steamer trunk for everything DD thinks she is bringing though.

If the kids are younger the dress shirt/pants/tie routine works just great! That is what he did on prior cruises when he was under 13.

Deb

You might want to check out Ebay for boys suits. I just picked up very nice double breasted navy suit for DS for $10 with shipping. It doesn't even look like it has been worn. The woman told me that the suit & the dress outfit that I got DD had only been worn by her grandchildren for 2 hours at Easter. You can find some good deals there, then sell them when your kids are finished with them.

Ok stupid question. How do you get expandable tux pants? My DH doesn't really want to buy/rent a tux due to they are so uncomfortable. If I can get something like this for him, he would be much more comfortable.

Thanks FOJMO for the info. I will keep the link for future reference. I was thinking about buying a tux at cheeptux.com or through ebay. I may reconsider renting.

Would I wear shorts or jeans to semi formal or formal night??? As much as I would love to do that my wife would kill me and I have a little more class than that, even if I say I don't care.

But out of respect for my wife as well as the other cruisers I do the docker pants and a nice collared shirt. Did a tux once but dang...it is vacation. lol :crazy:

On the flip side, If you want to wear shorts, flip flops and a huge goofy hat to formal night feel free. I just hope you enjoy your vacation. :bounce:

Live and let live...do what your gonna do...be good...make right wrongs you can...and especially on vacation PICK YOUR BATTLES. :eek:

Jesse, I am a married woman (of 22 years), but

DANG!

I think you would look so SMOOOOTH in a tux (that is you in the picture in your post, isn't it?). With that long hair... oh Good Lord...;)

Originally posted by FOJMO
Jesse, I am a married woman (of 22 years), but

DANG!

I think you would look so SMOOOOTH in a tux (that is you in the picture in your post, isn't it?). With that long hair... oh Good Lord...;)

That is my hubby, Jesse, and yes, he looks sharp in a tux but we decided to save the money for spa treatments and excursions - I am happy I can get him into dockers and a button down shirt!

He's a hottie, isn't he? :sunny:

Cruise #1, Packed a suit - took up more than its share of room in the suit case, wore the suit to Lumiers, took off coat, ate dinner, put coat on took it to the room, packed it away - should have just chucked it overboard so I would not have to bring it back home.

Decided on Cruise #2 to skip the suit, and guess what, the ship didn't sink or anything.

So nope, I'm not "dressing up" for formal and semi formal nights. Wearing slacks, dress shirt and a tie. And heaven forbid, I'm not wearing dress shoes (see the suit above) - going to wear sandals. Sorry about totally ruining your cruise, but that is as uncomfortable as I am going to be on this vacation.

The rest of the evenings I'll be wearing dockers and polo shirts, except for Mexacalli... night when I'll be wearing my tropical shirt.

On our first cruise some of our table mates came to dinner in jeans and tee shirts. Was that under dressed - yep, did it ruin my dinning experience - nope not at all.

There are always going to be people dressed better than you or worse than you. For me, my dress up is going to be what the tux wearers will be wearing on the more casual nights. Heck, if I brought a tux on the cruise, I would probably wear it every night except for the Mex/Tropically... nights. I agree with the guidlines about not wearing jeans, tee shirts, cut offs, swimming suits in to the dinners (all of the dinners not just the formal ones).

You can't control what others will be wearing, you can control how you let it effect you. Going in you know there will be some people not following the dress code - so be prepared for it - and don't let it ruin your vacation. Remember that your food and service will both still be excellent.

Although we are a cheap family, we have all gotten ourselves some really nice formal wear. My girls, 3 & 6 will be wearing clearance Easter dresses from Walmart. I got DH's tux on eBay for $35 and also my 2 gowns for $40 on eBay. eBay ID - jessie90069 sells bridesmaids dresses that have only been tried on, never worn out. The dresses are sold as "fixers" meaning that they might have a flaw or 2 but I couldn't find anything wrong with the ones I got.

Wear what you want to dinner, it won't effect my evening. We just enjoy dressing up once in a while because DH and I wear uniforms to work every day.

Happy cruising!

Good dress site on eBay:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...jessie90069&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

FOJMO, you know we were on your cruise, and similarly, we were somewhat DISappointed in the formal nights.

I was particularly DIScouraged on our May 30 dinner at Palo's. Here we are, all dressed up for our anniversary dinner, and at a minimum expect everyone to have at least a jacket and/or tie. Far from it! I'd say 50% at best. At the table next to us - very casual - and shoes with no socks to top it off. At least it didn't ruin our night and the food/service at Palo's was fabulous!

You might want to try Ross' for ladies formal wear if you have one. I got a dress that was selling in Chadwicks for $129 for $24.99 and when I went yesterday, I found one for $14.99! I really liked them both- very nice and no different than ones I have seen at Dillards for quite a bit more.
We got DHs tux at a Jones New York outlet. I found Disney ties/cumberbuns on ebay.
I got DDs formals on ebay for $30- they are beautiful and never been worn- I know that I can get my $$ back at a consignment shop easily.
I feel that dressing up is part of eating at a great restuarant- if you don't want to dress like DCL suggests- go to Topsiders. That is the reason they opened it at night- The same food is served and dockers and a polo will be fine there. I know I will be flamed for this- but it is FORMAL/Semi formal night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts