"Forging" a signature on a check question

Deposit it, you shouldn't have a problem. We get unsigned checks at work all the time, never once had a problem depositing them.

The better practice is to go ahead and write VOID across the unsigned check. Tear it in half, and send it back to the sender.

Holding the unsigned check is not going to do anything.... it's non-negotiable anyway, so holding it serves no purpose.

Yes but what if person refuses to send a new check. Then the OP has an 'unsigned' check showing the person was going to pay them...then didn't make good on that check. I do realize this check is worthless...but I'd keep it until the new one came and cleared the bank then send it back to the person who owed me the money. I thought it was protection for the OP....she has proof that the person was going to pay her because she has a copy of the check that was unsigned. I'd still keep it and send it back once the other can do...but OP can decide on her own what she is doing. OR at least copy that check and then send it back to the person.

Just deposit it...what do you have to lose? No financial institution has the man power to verify every check written. Most banks dont even look at checks under 2,500. Even then, and then they just spot check. Unless we are talking thousands of dollars - I would just deposit it, and wait and see what happens. Whats the difference if you wait a few days waiting for it to clear, or have her send you a new one. In any case...dont sign it.

If you do bookkeeping and prepare checks for others it is quite easy.

YUP!!! I have done this I book keep and my boss missed signing one and I didnt notice it when I sent it out! Happened just a few months ago, or if she was in a real rush and was concentrating on something else.

I once wrote a check to the power company and forgot to sign it. My bank cashed it no problem! I noticed it when I got the canceled check back with my statement (this was like 15 years ago).

Honestly I'd try to deposit it, worst they can say is "no" and you'll have to have her send you a new check.

Back in my college days, I sent an unsigned check as a delaying tactic....didn't have the funds.

It worked, person called me, I drove over and signed the check. It gave me 5 days, I acted young and stupid. But the 5 days gave me a payday.

I was young, it was a gamble.

:confused3

I would hold that check....ask her to send another one signed then when you receive that one and check has cleared mail the unsigned one back to her.

:thumbsup2 I would go with this one. Holding the check until the new one cashes means if the new one does not cash you can sue her and tell the judge that she intentionally defrauded you. First she wrote you a check that was uncashable and a second one that bounced... Just makes your case stronger. Suing here in local small claims court means she must come there on the court date. With that said if it was a mistake then she should be happy to drop a check in the mail asap.

Deposit it, you shouldn't have a problem. We get unsigned checks at work all the time, never once had a problem depositing them.

This.

Over the years there were a couple of times when I got distracted paying bills and never signed a check. The company deposited it, and it went thru without a signature on it.

Don't sign it. Just deposit it.

If you deposit it unsigned, it may go through, but the maker of the check can come back later - months from now - and say she did not authorize the check...

Yes but what if person refuses to send a new check. Then the OP has an 'unsigned' check showing the person was going to pay them...then didn't make good on that check. I do realize this check is worthless...but I'd keep it until the new one came and cleared the bank then send it back to the person who owed me the money. I thought it was protection for the OP....she has proof that the person was going to pay her because she has a copy of the check that was unsigned. I'd still keep it and send it back once the other can do...but OP can decide on her own what she is doing. OR at least copy that check and then send it back to the person.

The contract that calls for a deposit return is all that's necessary to show that the person was going to or had a obligation to pay.

I honestly don't care whether the unsigned check gets mailed back or not.... at a minimum, though, it should be voided and torn. And the sender should be asked to send another check.

OP here. I did rip up the check. Even if I had worked up the nerve to deposit it unsigned, I would have been nervous to spend it. I'll let you all know when I get the new check in the mail. I did tell her about gifting the $500 to not get charged a fee from ebay, but unfortunately she didn't do it. Maybe she had already sent the check. I'll be happy when I get it and deposit it!!

The following approaches have been used before:

1. The recipient writes a letter explaining that the check is unsigned and also explaining that the debt satisfied by the check is valid, and sends copies to his own bank, the maker's bank, and the maker. Also the recipient himself guarantees the check by putting words to that effect along with his own signature on the check. And the recipient goes right ahead and submits the check for deposit.

2. The recipient immediately contacts the maker saying that a replacement check must be sent first and then the defective check will be returned.

From: http://www.credittoday.net/public/Unsigned_Check_Dont_Return_It.cfm

The recipient hopes that the maker will be given a hard time if the maker wants the check dishonored after clearing with the sole reason being the check was originally unsigned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter