For you smokers out there......

ban smoking

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be great if DVC would make ALL the rooms in the smaller resorts such as BCV non-smoking if they can't guarantee anything and request that smokers use the balcony or smoking areas outside. Plus, if someone smokes in a non-smoking room, they need to be penalized with a good-sized fine, so they will be discouraged from doing so again. Since DVC wants to fill EVERY room, the idea of "requests" just doesn't work well unless the rooms are all non-smoking. Also, if a "rentee" smokes up a room, the DVC member should be penalized in their points, so the renter will be more careful in who they rent to next time.

My daughter & I both have severe asthma, so I've always requested a non-smoking room for medical reasons. The chances of getting non-smoking at OKW is very high; I believe there are only 2 or 3 smoking buildings left. I've always received a non-smoking room however on our trip last month, I could tell as soon as I walked through the door that someone had smoked in the 1BR section of our 2BR non-smoking lock-off. Being it was Memorial Day weekend and the fact that when we checked in the CM had mentioned they were very busy and nothing much else was available other than a woods view, I decided to take a chance and stay hoping we'd be okay if I turned up the air conditioner for a few hours. That didn't work and I ended up having to take extra asthma meds. My daughter was okay because she was in the second bedroom. Anyway, I called housekeeping about setting up an ionizer (I think that's what they said they used) the next day while we were out. By the time we got back, the smell was completely gone and I was fine the rest of our 11 night stay. I was a bit worried about requesting the machine because I was afraid they'd put in some sort of deodorizer to mask the smell. I'm more allergic to perfumes and deodorizers than I am smoke. Housekeeping said, no problem, they could run the machine without the deodorizer.

I think a lot of the problem, at least at OKW is that there are so few smoking buildings available. There used to be quite a few more.

They have cut down on the number of smoking rooms. I think Boardwalk used to have smoking rooms on the 2nd and 4th floors. Now it's just part of the 2nd and I believe all the boardwalk views are non-smoking. That maybe causing an increase in the number of non-smoking rooms where smokers smoke anyway or are out on the balcony smoking. They should start cracking down on that, but smokers have reported the front desk telling them it was OK when no smoking room was available.

I've always been lucky. In 11 DVC trips (6 OKW, 5 BWV), I've always had non-smoking.

Debbie, just out of curiosity...what day of the week do you usually check in and what time since you have an incredibly good record for getting non-smoking?

At BWV, we usually check-in on Saturday afternoon between 1:00 and 3:00. I've found our room was always pre-assigned there and the resort is usually sold out (early December). Reservation made at exactly 11 months. At OKW, it varies. Last May we checked in on Sunday night around 8:00 and got non-smoking but not the requested first floor (was not a medical request). I don't believe our room was pre-assigned. Other times it was Friday or Saturday afternoon. We go in early May, I don't think that's a real busy time. 7 month reservation.

At non-DVC resorts, my luck is pretty good too. The only smoking room I was in was at CSR. I arrived with 3 friends around 8:30am (we stayed by the airport the night before) and we requested connecting double rooms. We were happy when the front desk said they had rooms already ready! Until we got to them and found they were smoking and smelled! We were anxious to get to the parks, so we kept them. We requested ionizers but they still smelled for the rest of our stay, everything in my suitcase reeked when I got home. Big mistake, we should have waited, the resort was not crowded.

Being a smoker myself, I must chime in on this. I ALWAYS request a smoking room when I make my ressies!! On our last trip, at check in, we were told that there were no more smoking rooms available. Smoking was however, allowed on the balcony. What I learned was this. Non-smokers don't want you smoking in the rooms OR outside on the balcony!! Perhaps the problem is too many non-smoking rooms and not enough smoking rooms.

I don't want to be flamed but....if there are that many requests for non-smoking rooms why doesn't DVC make more dedicated n/s rooms? I personally cannot stand the smell of cigarettes and would refuse a room that had the slightest hint of smoke (due to DD having asthma).

Originally posted by shelbyjosh
I don't want to be flamed but....if there are that many requests for non-smoking rooms why doesn't DVC make more dedicated n/s rooms

This has been done at OKW. There used to be a lot more smoking buildings. As I said in my previous post, I think there are only 2 smoking buildings remaining. In my opinion, they've eliminated too many smoking buildings. This may be why more smokers are being told it's okay to smoke in a non-smoking unit or on the balconies. Our trip last month was the first time in 10 years of going to OKW in which we had a non-smoking unit that had been smoked in.

Originally posted by DebbieB
They have cut down on the number of smoking rooms.
I think this is true, but I am hearing more and more of these so-called "smoking optional" rooms!

Sorry, but if smoking's optional, that's a smoking room. We've been lucky too, and my daughter also has asthma and allergies. Oh well, crossing our fingers for our check-in in a couple of weeks at BWV!

Unfortunately this is simply a request. I'm sure the 5 days out refers to the unit assignment issue and isn't so much of a rule as a reality. I too wish they'd book smoking or non smoking directly.

I think they either don't have enough smoking room or they don't care where they put you. I'm a smoker and I always request a smoking room. You all can flame me if you'd like, I don't really care anymore. But the fact is, in all my trips to WDW, I have NEVER received a smoking room. Not even once. I'm always told to request an ashtray from housekeeping at that's what I do. Last trip we had two rooms at AKL for a couple nights after BCV and my confirmation papers said. Smoking-Guranteed. I still have it and can show you. Did we get a smoking room? No. I'm beginning to wonder if they even exist. I just judging by my experiences alone, but because of the way they do things, I'd be willing to bet money that every single non-smoking room at WDW has been smoked in at some point.

I don't think this smoking / non-smoking room thing is a moral issue or a convenience issue. My concern is for the health of those who simply cannot be exposed to the smoke left behind by former occupants. Unless there is a foolproof way to guarantee non-smoking rooms to anyone who needs one, I think that all rooms should be non-smoking. I know that means that smokers would have to go to the trouble of smoking on the balcony, but isn't the health of someone who literally may not be able to breathe more important to everyone (smokers and non-smokers) than the convenience of being able to smoke indoors? Isn't that a reasonable gift that smokers can give to their non-smoking friends, and non-smokers can thank them for? As a general comment, not specifically tied to this issue, I get so tired of hearing about everyone's "rights". Can't we just do some things out of respect and consideration for one another? ::MinnieMo

The smoking community is diminishing. Columbus, Ohio voted to have all restaraunts smoke free. Children's hospital made a change to not let any smoking anywhere on thier grounds. There is a continuing trend towardless availability for smokers. A recent study showed the detrimental effects of second hand smoke, was just released in the last two weeks. DVC should not increase the inventory of smoking rooms. They should be able to guarantee non-smoking availability to those guests, and smoking to those guests. Most of the rest of the hotels do it.

Originally posted by LoveToDisney
It would be great if DVC would make ALL the rooms in the smaller resorts such as BCV non-smoking if they can't guarantee anything and request that smokers use the balcony or smoking areas outside. Plus, if someone smokes in a non-smoking room, they need to be penalized with a good-sized fine, so they will be discouraged from doing so again. Since DVC wants to fill EVERY room, the idea of "requests" just doesn't work well unless the rooms are all non-smoking. Also, if a "rentee" smokes up a room, the DVC member should be penalized in their points, so the renter will be more careful in who they rent to next time.

No, the rentor should be penalized, not the owner. How can you possibly penalize someone who probably does not know the person they rented to. That, IMHO, is simply not right.

Originally posted by Shadeaux
This has been done at OKW. There used to be a lot more smoking buildings. As I said in my previous post, I think there are only 2 smoking buildings remaining. In my opinion, they've eliminated too many smoking buildings. This may be why more smokers are being told it's okay to smoke in a non-smoking unit or on the balconies. Our trip last month was the first time in 10 years of going to OKW in which we had a non-smoking unit that had been smoked in.

There are three smoking buildings. 12,19 and 41.

Originally posted by donaldbuzz&minnie
I don't think this smoking / non-smoking room thing is a moral issue or a convenience issue. My concern is for the health of those who simply cannot be exposed to the smoke left behind by former occupants. Unless there is a foolproof way to guarantee non-smoking rooms to anyone who needs one, I think that all rooms should be non-smoking. I know that means that smokers would have to go to the trouble of smoking on the balcony, but isn't the health of someone who literally may not be able to breathe more important to everyone (smokers and non-smokers) than the convenience of being able to smoke indoors? Isn't that a reasonable gift that smokers can give to their non-smoking friends, and non-smokers can thank them for? As a general comment, not specifically tied to this issue, I get so tired of hearing about everyone's "rights". Can't we just do some things out of respect and consideration for one another? ::MinnieMo

No, that is not reasonable at all. Why should I have to NOT smoke in my home away from home? I paid a LOT of money to become a member. I always request a smoking room and have 99% of the time received it.
While I care about your health, I do consider my vacation very important to me and my enjoyment important also.
I would dearly love it if people would stop wearing perfume, I am highly allergic to many. BUT, that ain't gonna happen.
My consideration for non smokers is thus: I will request a smoking room, I will follow the rules in the park or anywhere else regarding smoking. That is as far as I go. If given a non smoking room, then, I will smoke on the balcony with the doors closed so no nasty smoke wefts in there.
I do often wonder how people with severe allergies exist in the real world, I really don't believe that smoking is the only trigger, but, I do believe it is the one that non smokers can control, whine about, and get action on. Controlling the actions of others is not right, especially when it is a legal activity.

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
The smoking community is diminishing. Columbus, Ohio voted to have all restaraunts smoke free. Children's hospital made a change to not let any smoking anywhere on thier grounds. There is a continuing trend towardless availability for smokers. A recent study showed the detrimental effects of second hand smoke, was just released in the last two weeks. DVC should not increase the inventory of smoking rooms. They should be able to guarantee non-smoking availability to those guests, and smoking to those guests. Most of the rest of the hotels do it.

With the continual decrease in smoking rooms, the increase of smoking in non smoking rooms is now a reality.

CT has very strong non smoking laws and as much as I dislike them, I follow them. (I definitely have a problem with government interferring with private businesses. ) But, with these new laws, I have saved a bunch of money. :) I simply don't go out as much.

Originally posted by donaldbuzz&minnie
Unless there is a foolproof way to guarantee non-smoking rooms to anyone who needs one, I think that all rooms should be non-smoking. I know that means that smokers would have to go to the trouble of smoking on the balcony, but isn't the health of someone who literally may not be able to breathe more important to everyone (smokers and non-smokers) than the convenience of being able to smoke indoors?

I agree 100%.::yes::

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
No, the rentor should be penalized, not the owner. How can you possibly penalize someone who probably does not know the person they rented to. That, IMHO, is simply not right.
I agree there should be a penalty for abuse of the room for someone smoking in a non-smoking. That is not right.

Originally posted by lovetotravel1974
I agree 100%.::yes::

If you know that you are going somewhere where you know there will be smoking, then you have tacitly agreed to endure the suffering. You had a choice, you chose to go where there will be smoking.
To even suggest that the world make alterations for you is absurd.
I make a choice when I go somewhere where I know there will be perfumes that stop me from breathing and where I know no smoking will be allowed. I adapt. I would suggest you all try the same. I would never presume to alter the habits of many for the choice I made with full knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter