For those who have been to both, compare HH to Vero for me

Jenn

DIS Veteran
We own at BW and we have been to Vero twice and LOVE it. We love pretty much everything about the place, relaxing, activities for the kids, that Disney feel to it, etc. In fact, we don't even leave the resort once we check in.

We keep looking over the HH pages in our member guidebook and wondering - would it be similar or would we be dissapointed? We could drive down to save a few bucks on airfare.

We just haven't been able to bring ourselves to the point of actually booking a trip there. Can you convince me? Is it similar to Vero? Must you leave the property for things to do (I know you shuttle over to the beach)? We would be talking about a 3 or 4 day trip and we have a toddler and an infant. We might bring along family members with older kids - grade school through junior high school ages.

We were at HH in October, and Vero just two weeks ago. We are a couple with grown children and grandchildren.

To us, HH would be prefect for a golfer. It was great to relax, shop a little, and eat out at great restaurants. We were there in the off-season, and I think it would be tough to move around in the summer with traffic and tourists. I will go to HH again just to have "A Private Affair," in which Chef Gordon makes you a gourmet meal in a Grand Villa. It was the highlight of our trip to HH. Next time, I would to try the Dolphin Discovery tour. For a short escape, I'd go to HH. We live in Atlanta, and it's a quick drive for us.

But, we feel about Vero as you do. We also own at Boardwalk, and I have to admit that of all the DVC resorts (and we've stayed at all of them now), Vero is our favorite. The activities there are wonderful for kids. It seemed like there was something going on almost hourly. The staff was great, but so was the staff at HH. We liked the easier access to the beach. We liked the pool better at Vero, too. And the resort seemed more compact and intimate. Having restaurants on-site was a plus for us. The weather is warmer, being farther south. We liked Vero so much that we just bought more points there. We will be there every year. :)

We have been to both and my favorite is HH. Of course my wife likes VB a little bit more but we love both resorts.

They are very similar as far as activities, accomodations, and very friendly CM's. The rooms are similar in layout but different in theme.

The pool and slide are a little smaller at HH but you have 2 pools to chose from. You only have a sandwich place to eat at HH but you have at least 5 different resturants within walking distance. There is a lot more to do around the resort at HH compared to VB.

You can ride bicycles on the beach at HH but you do have to drive/shuttle/bicycle to get there. Once you are there the beach house has a lot of activites and it's own pool.

Give it a chance and I believe your family will enjoy itself.

IMO, VB is great as a self-contained resort. You have everything that you need right on the property (activities, restaurants, etc.) HH has the basics located on property but has lots more to do in the local area than VB does. When we go to Vero we tend to spend most of our time at the resort, perhaps venturing out for dinner some nights. At HH we rent bikes and spend our time exploring the island...biking to the Beach House, to mini-golf, to many of the fantastic local restaurants.

After our first visits to each of the two resorts I much prefered VB. In fact, I really didn't like HH at all. Now, after making several trips to each place I like HH much better.

I'd definitely suggest making a trip to HH. Just don't make the mistake that we made on our first trip there...get out and explore the place a bit. Once you do I think you'll love it!

Michele

You might find my recent trip reports ( from Xmas useful

Trip report 1)
http://www.wdwinfo.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8838

Trip report 2)
http://www.wdwinfo.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8866

I think HH is a great place to spend a couple of days on your way to and from WDW. We had a great time there for 10 days over Xmas/New Year and would be happy to recommend it.

To compare the two is difficult, both have their strong points. As you are not asking because you want to decide one or the other to stay at but as an idea of quality , I would say they compare favourably to one another. If I had to choose I would prefer HH to Vero, but as far as standand of facilities they are as good as each other. HH wins because it's beach is better suited for kids ( it's wider and much more gently sloped) and there is in general more to do outside of the resort. The golf at HH is world class and there are a few more activities to keep you occupied. Vero's biggest plus is that the whole resort is in one location and the beach is a matter of yards away.

HH is right next to a condo and marina development, so you don't get that isolated self contained feel like at VB. Hilton Head Island is very developed with dozens of restaurants, shopping malls etc... HH resort has a nice woodsy feel to it, and a great view of the marsh area. however once you cross the bridge across the marina, you are in condo and shopping mall land. Also, I don't think HH had a sit down restaurant on site. I think you had to go to the Beach house, which is about a mile and a half away, across a major thoroughfare and golfing development

We have been to VB & HH and we prefer HH. In fact, we go every Aug. Although you have to drive or shuttle to the beach, I think the HH beach is much nicer. You also have the wonderful pool house by the beach. You do have to move off the official resort for fine dining, but you really don't have to go far. We have been to Scott's (walking distance) every visit and we have always enjoyed it. We also did the Dolphin Discovery tour and DSs loved it. HH is different from VB. You must try it. I don't think you will regret it.

We have been to VB & HH and we prefer HH. In fact, we go every Aug. Although you have to drive or shuttle to the beach, I think the HH beach is much nicer. You also have the wonderful pool house by the beach. You do have to move off the official resort for fine dining, but you really don't have to go far. We have been to Scott's (walking distance & 10% discount) every visit and we have always enjoyed it. We also did the Dolphin Discovery tour and DSs loved it. HH is different from VB. You must try it. I don't think you will regret it.

We have have been to both VB & HH. Both resorts are very nice. While we enjoy a 2-3 day visit at VB, we have never had a desire to own there. After one visit to HH, we loved it so much we did a substantial addon there, so we will not have to use our OKW points to stay. You will have to leave the resort to eat, unless you cook in the room. there are so many places to eat within a short walking or driving distance that it really does not matter. While the beach is a short distance away, I think it is much nicer than the beach at VB, and the marsh is great. But than everyone has their own likes, and that is what makes the DVC great.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest