For the First Time In Forever.....A Disneyland reopening TR, Dark Ride photos and The End 5/8

Very good time!

Considering I left half an hour before planned we did good!

I wonder if the ground will be full of SD lines when I get back...

Hard to say. I wonder if people will keep their distance or just be on top of each other all over again. I like that the scooter gives me some distance even in non Socially Distanced situations.

I also wonder when F! will be able to come back...

NO IDEA on that one!

Was he his usual chatty self?

I don't think we could have heard him even if he was talking!

Ohh! How long was it gone?

Well I remember that it wasn't there in September of 2019 because I remarked to @Steppesister about it not being there. It was gone for a while before that. I'm pretty sure that I never saw it after that. Did we ride it on your tour? I'm pretty sure it wasn't there if we did.

I still remember these treasure rooms blowing my mind as a kid...100% real loot of course right ;)

I remember knowing it was fake, but was still impressed. I was in like 7th grade the first time I went.

Ya me too..

The thing is that most of the time when I've selected a restaurant, I've already stalked their online menu so I already know what I want.

Ah gotcha! I remember 2 still being loads, so I think we'd split and have a gumbo also possibly

We used to get the pomme frites appetizer, the Gumbo soup appetizer, the four pieces of Monte Cristo, and then take some home and then get beignets for dessert. Not an option now, but at least we can get three out of four. We just need to remember to order the beignets before we sit down to lunch. We are learning. Today I ordered my Mickey Macaron as soon as we left our doctor's office and picked it up after we got in the park about 30 minutes later. They sold out by 3PM yesterday.

So we left off after having lunch at Cafe Orleans. It seems to be one of the hardest reservations to get in the parks. I’ve tried and the next ones available aren’t until July. So I”ll be making one just in case.

As we left New Orleans Square we saw Tiana Social Distancing.

Here's another look at that same corridor I showed you a couple weeks ago. Each time I go back to the parks they look more and more busy and this is before OC became Yellow.

And then we hopped across the Esplanade to DCA.

Here we are at DCA.

At the fountain we encountered one of the Prime locations for socially distanced meet and greets. We ended up seeing half a dozen characters here as we passed through here.

Our first stop here was Soarin.

They aren't taking requests to wait for the top row and middle. We got the front row on the farthest side on the right, so our view was skewed. There is a plexiglass barrier in the middle of the row. Our group of four sat on one side and a group of two sat on the far left end of the row.

On our way to ride Guardians we saw these characters at the fountain.

Avengers Campus is getting ready to open soon, and there were signs of construction that went on while the park was closed all over.

The ride was literally a walk on.

The preshow wasn't running and we literally went straight to the line up for our gantry lift.

Of course we got Jackson 5 for our song. I swear they play that one more often than any other.

We decided it was time for a drink. We headed past the fountain again and found these characters.

I decided it would be good to get a shot with these rare characters.

another peek at the Avengers Campus.

Look at all these tables and chairs that they've put out. This area used to be so jam packed with people!

So we ordered our beverages from Sonoma Terrace. We actually ordered and didn’t have to mobile order, and then found a table. There were tons of them open. We took this picture.

Jim objected and said that we needed it to be symmetrical. So we took this one.

So weird with the lids on drinks so you don't sip and stroll.

Goofy and Mike were entertaining us socially distanced.

When we were on the train, Jim told us a story about a friend of his who played one of the characters. (Who was it? Beast?) And how evil kids could be. We remarked about how the people playing these characters must be loving this distance stuff.

This corridor is so empty.

[Continued in Next Post]

{Continued from Previous Post]

We decided to hit RSR and saw these characters along the way.

Again the ride was almost a walk on.

Except that in the accessible loading area there was a line to get one of those cars.

The ride was fun and it was great to be back!

You can see that I am ready to call it a day. Even though we won the race, I was feeling faint.

By this point Jim and I were getting tired and decided to head out. We shopped a bit at Elias and Co. where Jim got a couple Disney masks and then we headed out. It was still pretty empty on the Esplanade

Jenny and Michael closed the place down and shopped for an extra hour on Main Street.

What I want to do:

Eat:
Plaza Inn Chicken
Corn Dog/Cheese Dog
Asparagus Skewer
Cafe Orleans
Mickey Macaron from Jolly Holiday
Mickey beignets from Mint Julep Bar
Funnel Cake
Pickle Corn Dog
Raspberry Swirl Dole Whip
Bacon Mac n Cheese from Cozy Cone
Sweet treats from candy shops
Ghirardelli sundae

Ride:
Haunted Mansion
Pirates

Star Tours
Space Mountain
Guardians of the Galaxy

Soarin
Indiana Jones
Incredicoaster
Little Mermaid
RotR
Falcon
Train
Snow White
TSMM
Mr. Toad
BTMRR
RSR

Still lots left to do! Good thing I'm going to be going back a lot for the next couple months!

Last edited:
So we left off after having lunch at Cafe Orleans. It seems to be one of the hardest reservations to get in the parks.
I know I haven't been. :)
As we left New Orleans Square we saw Tiana Social Distancing.
Makes sense. ::yes::
Each time I go back to the parks they look more and more busy and this is before OC became Yellow.
So... how do you feel about that? Concerned because of proximity to others or happy because it's a sign of things going back to normal?
At the fountain we encountered one of the Prime locations for socially distanced meet and greets. We ended up seeing half a dozen characters here as we passed through here.
I know a lot of people are much happier with the more (seemingly) random encountering characters.
x21DL00506WF49.JPG
Well, hi there! :)
They aren't taking requests to wait for the top row and middle.
Really! That.... is unfortunate.
We got the front row on the farthest side on the right, so our view was skewed.
Ew. Nope. Totally wrecks it for me.
Heh. Anna looks like a Weeble.
The ride was literally a walk on.
Even with Covid... that surprises me a bit.
The preshow wasn't running
Due to technical issues or by design?
Of course we got Jackson 5 for our song. I swear they play that one more often than any other.
You've mentioned that. :)
Holy smokes! I have never seen Oswald (as a character)!
Jim objected and said that we needed it to be symmetrical. So we took this one.
He's not wrong. :laughing:
So weird with the lids on drinks so you don't sip and stroll.
I noticed that right away. Yeah... it looks odd.
When we were on the train, Jim told us a story about a friend of his who played one of the characters. (Who was it? Beast?) And how evil kids could be. We remarked about how the people playing these characters must be loving this distance stuff.
I've seen some videos, and... yeah. But... I wonder if the absolutely wonderful interactions help even it out??

We decided to hit RSR and saw these characters along the way.
Were they animated or static?
Really!!! Now I'm shocked!
The ride was fun and it was great to be back!
:goodvibes
:laughing: Love this! Never seen that one before, I don't think?
You can see that I am ready to call it a day. Even though we won the race, I was feeling faint.
You poor thing. Woe is you!
What I want to do:
That list is getting shorter! :)

I know I haven't been. :)

Well we have focused on Plaza Inn on your visits, I guess I need to add Cafe Orleans to the "the list". It is worth it!

So... how do you feel about that? Concerned because of proximity to others or happy because it's a sign of things going back to normal?

I prefer less people. I don't care how close it is to normal. I would rather they have less people in the park so I don't have to bump into them! 😂

I know a lot of people are much happier with the more (seemingly) random encountering characters.

Really? I like being able to walk up to them and interact.

Really! That.... is unfortunate.

Yes, it is. I am not used to having to watch the bending scenarios. We normally wait for the better ones.

Ew. Nope. Totally wrecks it for me.

Just makes for better jokes. We get to ride it more often than you.

Heh. Anna looks like a Weeble.

that's funny!

Even with Covid... that surprises me a bit.

Maybe it was just that day. It was longer the last time I was there.

Due to technical issues or by design?

I think they were by passing that 15 minute wait thingy I mentioned in the RotR update. Maybe they are bypassing most preshows.

You've mentioned that. :)

Yeah, I goe something else last time. Pat Benetar, Hit me with your best shot. I may need to refer to this post when I'm writing that update.

Holy smokes! I have never seen Oswald (as a character)!

He is around kind of a lot at DCA since it it based on Walt's early endeavors.

He's not wrong. :laughing:

I can agree, symmetry is important.

I noticed that right away. Yeah... it looks odd.

Well at least you don't spill....

I've seen some videos, and... yeah. But... I wonder if the absolutely wonderful interactions help even it out??

Good question! But evidently the Beast got some in the "you know what's" Not sure if wonderful interactions can compensate for that? You tell me? I don't have those!

Were they animated or static?

No they were animated characters who talked to you.

Really!!! Now I'm shocked!

Well we may have had a little help from some magic passes.

:laughing: Love this! Never seen that one before, I don't think?

Perhaps we got Ramones instead of Luigis when we rode.

You poor thing. Woe is you!

I know! I get so exhausted!

That list is getting shorter! :)

And it's even shorter for my next updates, but the food one is not updating as fast as the ride one!

Well we have focused on Plaza Inn on your visits, I guess I need to add Cafe Orleans to the "the list". It is worth it!
::yes::
Or... both! :laughing:
I prefer less people. I don't care how close it is to normal. I would rather they have less people in the park so I don't have to bump into them! 😂
:laughing: Good point!
How about zero Covid and empty park??
Really? I like being able to walk up to them and interact.
Well... you've seen me interact with a certain princess...
But most people seem to prefer not standing in lines to see characters. At least that's what I'm getting from all the TRs I'm reading.
Just makes for better jokes. We get to ride it more often than you.
Fair point. :)
I think they were by passing that 15 minute wait thingy I mentioned in the RotR update. Maybe they are bypassing most preshows.
That's what I thought, but wasn't positive.
He is around kind of a lot at DCA since it it based on Walt's early endeavors.
Really! Huh. I'm sure I've never seen a photo of him before.
Well at least you don't spill....
True.
Good question! But evidently the Beast got some in the "you know what's" Not sure if wonderful interactions can compensate for that? You tell me? I don't have those!
I'd heard that (about the Beast)... While not a pleasant experience by any means, perhaps the good interactions outweigh that one?
No they were animated characters who talked to you.
Cool! :)
Well we may have had a little help from some magic passes.
Ah!
Perhaps we got Ramones instead of Luigis when we rode.
You only can take that shot from the one side?

Well, crud. Looks like I fell way behind here already.

QUOTE="franandaj, post: 62966110, member: 258028"]
What I failed to mention in the last post was that the day before our preview day, the unit we used to live in had a relapse of an ongoing problem of a back up in their bathroom.
[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a crappy job.

"Yes they came at 1030 when I was home and said there is a major issue with the mainline and will need to dig under the master bedroom to get to the problem. He said he was going to call Fran. So this back up will continue to happen unless that is fixed. They will have to dig through the master bedroom floor, "break concrete" is what he said."

Um...what? No thanks!

Being back on Main Street is such a lovely feeling!

It's so great seeing photos again!

What Fran didn't realize was that when you want Disney merch, the early bird gets the worm.

Pretty much true with anything at Disney.

Unfortunately she forgot about the fervor of Disney Fans, and by the time we were called most, most of the things she wanted were sold out.

I bet they were all on eBay by 3 p.m.

So pretty much all our plans for the day were a bust.

Well...that stinks.

It was mid March when I decided it would be dinner at Del Frisco's.

We have one of those in Philly. I've always heard great things about it, but been too scared off by the prices!

Wow.

To say that this was delicious would be an understatement! This was my first swanky dinner since the pandemic started and my first dinner with a bunch of friends at a restaurant! The side dishes and especially the steaks were absolutely wonderful! The first time I had a Del Frisco's steak, my tastebuds had never experienced such joy. This was Leonard's first time, and he also said that he's never had a steak so tasty. Their rub is just phenomenal

You are really selling it! Maybe I'll have to try it next time they have Restaurant Week in the city.

We decided our next ride would be Pirates. On our way there….

I'm kind of mesmerized just by looking at photos of people in a theme park. Almost seems like a foreign concept at this point.

It was so great to be back on one of the most iconic rides in the park!

I can only imagine!

Now those of you who have been dining out ever since outdoor dining began are probably familiar with this, but I’ve only been going this for a little more than a month, so this who QR code thing is new to me.

Yeah, they're not great for us old people losing our eyesight. I don't like having to blow up menus on my phone.

As soon as our server explained that the portion has been reduced and that instead of four pieces, it is only two pieces, but the pomme frites are included. I was absolutely sold! Everyone got the Monte Cristo, but Jenny and her husband split one.

I mean, you pretty much have to order that.

It seems to be one of the hardest reservations to get in the parks. I’ve tried and the next ones available aren’t until July. So I”ll be making one just in case.

That's a bummer. I'm going to have to be on my game.

Each time I go back to the parks they look more and more busy and this is before OC became Yellow.

I need all these people to get the park visits out of their system before next summer.

They aren't taking requests to wait for the top row and middle.

Boo. I'm so annoyed at the newer version of this ride.

Avengers Campus is getting ready to open soon, and there were signs of construction that went on while the park was closed all over.

Interested to see how that turns out.

That's unheard of!

:rotfl:

Still lots left to do! Good thing I'm going to be going back a lot for the next couple months!

You're making progress! Seems like a nice problem to have.

We decided it was time for a drink. We headed past the fountain again and found these characters.

So cool that you got to see these characters. I love the classic Roaring 20s costumes on Mickey and Minnie.

I was about to ask if it was California or World...then I saw my answer...I think I prefer Cali...
Adorable!

Other dress Elsa!

So empty indeed!

I think it's Hit Me With Your Best Shot that I get the most

Nice! I wonder if reg MnG will come back some day...

This corridor is so empty.

very empty! loads of empty tables also!

Well you sure don't see that very often!

You know all the photo spots!

Even though we won the race

I'm very good at losing the races 😕

Eat:
Plaza Inn Chicken YUM!!!!
Corn Dog/Cheese Dog Cheese Dog?
Asparagus Skewer
Cafe Orleans
Funnel Cake
Pickle Corn Dog This one seems odd, I look forward to hearing when you think...
Raspberry Swirl Dole Whip Sooooo goood!!
Bacon Mac n Cheese from Cozy Cone I've enjoyed this!
Ghirardelli sundae I could really go for one of these!

Looking forward to following more adventures!

Or... both! :laughing:

We would need to do multiple days. Each one is a very filling meal even when split between two people!

:laughing: Good point!
How about zero Covid and empty park??

That would be weird. I mean part of the ambiance are the people in the background screaming on the rides, and other such noises.

Well... you've seen me interact with a certain princess...
But most people seem to prefer not standing in lines to see characters. At least that's what I'm getting from all the TRs I'm reading.

Well, not sure whose TRs you are reading, but at DL there are still lines for the socially distanced characters. I had to wait in line (only about 3 people deep) to get that shot.

That's what I thought, but wasn't positive.

I'm guessing Preshows cause people to gather in a small space, and I read on Liesa's TR this morning that in MK they are skipping the stretching room on HM. They can't do that at DL because they need the elevator to get people down to the level where the ride is located. However they are severely limiting access to the stretching room as I mentioned a few posts back.

Really! Huh. I'm sure I've never seen a photo of him before.

He hangs out on Buena Vista Street in DCA quite often. He was Walt's first character after all and that's what BVS is based on, Walt's early CA life.

I'd heard that (about the Beast)... While not a pleasant experience by any means, perhaps the good interactions outweigh that one?

I'm guessing not! :laughing:

You only can take that shot from the one side?

The other side you end up in Ramone's

Or if you mean that you can't take the picture on the Right side of the car, the curtain only pulls back on the Left side of the car so that you are focused in one area.

We would need to do multiple days. Each one is a very filling meal even when split between two people!
I'd be okay with that. :)

:rolleyes1

Actually, more time with friends works out quite well with me. :)
That would be weird. I mean part of the ambiance are the people in the background screaming on the rides, and other such noises.
Hmmm...
CMs walking around and on rides. They magically disappear when you want empty park photos and when you want to go on a ride with no wait.
Well, not sure whose TRs you are reading, but at DL there are still lines for the socially distanced characters. I had to wait in line (only about 3 people deep) to get that shot.
I'm reading more about the cavalcades and characters showing up on balconies or socially distanced.
I'm guessing Preshows cause people to gather in a small space, and I read on Liesa's TR this morning that in MK they are skipping the stretching room on HM. They can't do that at DL because they need the elevator to get people down to the level where the ride is located. However they are severely limiting access to the stretching room as I mentioned a few posts back.
I'm sure I don't have to tell you about the reasons for the stretching rooms being different. I wasn't at all surprised to read in DL the room was running/stretching.
He hangs out on Buena Vista Street in DCA quite often. He was Walt's first character after all and that's what BVS is based on, Walt's early CA life.
Huh! I had no idea.
I'm guessing not! :laughing:
:laughing:
The other side you end up in Ramone's

Or if you mean that you can't take the picture on the Right side of the car, the curtain only pulls back on the Left side of the car so that you are focused in one area.
I meant the ability to take a photo of yourselves in a mirror.

Well, crud. Looks like I fell way behind here already.

But now you're all caught up!

That sounds like a crappy job.

I see what you did there.....

Um...what? No thanks!

And so far so good....

It's so great seeing photos again!

Pretty much true with anything at Disney.

Well...yes.

I bet they were all on eBay by 3 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Well...that stinks.

It is what it is....

We have one of those in Philly. I've always heard great things about it, but been too scared off by the prices!

Well, yes. But it's not an every day restaurant.

Wow.

You are really selling it! Maybe I'll have to try it next time they have Restaurant Week in the city.

I find that Restaurant Week menus pale in comparison to regular menus. You and Julie should find a reason that just the two of you need to celebrate and try it out. Most of the steaks are large enough to split as are the sides. It's totally worth it!

I'm kind of mesmerized just by looking at photos of people in a theme park. Almost seems like a foreign concept at this point.

I know! If I weren't living it, I would have a hard time believing it!

I can only imagine!

So fun!

Yeah, they're not great for us old people losing our eyesight. I don't like having to blow up menus on my phone.

I try to check menus in advance so I know what I want and don't have to read the tiny print on my phone. Doesn't always work out.

I mean, you pretty much have to order that

I think it's a law.

That's a bummer. I'm going to have to be on my game.

Well they say that on June 15 (of this year), no more social distancing, and other things we learned in the last year. There should be many more tables available and people will be over it by the time you get here.

I need all these people to get the park visits out of their system before next summer.

As I just said above. I think they will!

Boo. I'm so annoyed at the newer version of this ride

Yeah, the older one was much better.

Interested to see how that turns out.

Hopefully I'll have an update on that one....if they let us take pictures....

That's unheard of!

I know! Wait until you see my pics from last week!

You're making progress! Seems like a nice problem to have.

::yes:: just keep swimmin'

I was about to ask if it was California or World...then I saw my answer...I think I prefer Cali...

I think every one does!

Other dress Elsa!

And Queen Anna!

I think it's Hit Me With Your Best Shot that I get the most

I think that is the one that I get second most.

Nice! I wonder if reg MnG will come back some day...

Probably, but I bet they will be slow to get back to it.

very empty! loads of empty tables also!

Yup! That changes though.....

Well you sure don't see that very often!

Nope!

You know all the photo spots!

Well, it's hard not to when you ride this stuff as often as I do!

I'm very good at losing the races 😕

Honestly I can't always tell whether or not we win!

Eat:
Plaza Inn Chicken YUM!!!!
Corn Dog/Cheese Dog Cheese Dog?

Where as a Corn Dog is filled with a hot dog....

A Cheese Dog is filled with Cheese!

I like to get one of each!

Asparagus Skewer
Cafe Orleans
Funnel Cake
Pickle Corn Dog This one seems odd, I look forward to hearing when you think...

It was funny cause this announcement came out on April Fool's Day and everyone thought it was a joke, but Fran and I are both interested in at least trying it once. We make Crescent Dogs with the Pillsbury Crescent Dough and we put cheese and pickles inside and they are really good!

Raspberry Swirl Dole Whip Sooooo goood!!
Bacon Mac n Cheese from Cozy Cone I've enjoyed this!
Ghirardelli sundae I could really go for one of these!

Looking forward to following more adventures!

I hope that we can cross a few of those off our list in June, we have a couple days with no dining reservations. Usually we are too stuffed by the end of the day to get a Sundae!

I'd be okay with that. :)

:rolleyes1

Actually, more time with friends works out quite well with me. :)

And I have no problem going with you to the Plaza Inn and Cafe Orleans, just not in the same day. That would be too much for me.

Hmmm...
CMs walking around and on rides. They magically disappear when you want empty park photos and when you want to go on a ride with no wait.

Well, I think I can work with the status quo.

I'm reading more about the cavalcades and characters showing up on balconies or socially distanced.

There's a lot of that going on too....

I'm sure I don't have to tell you about the reasons for the stretching rooms being different. I wasn't at all surprised to read in DL the room was running/stretching.

It's the only way the ride would work!

Huh! I had no idea.

The things you learn!

I meant the ability to take a photo of yourselves in a mirror.

Well the mirror is there so that you can see your new White Wall tires, it's just turned into a photo op for people who know it's coming. And Jim is actually not taking a picture. He video'd every single ride we went on. OK maybe not the train.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter