For the First Time Cruisers -Ask your questions here

We just signed up for our first cruise (we're mid-fifties)! Okay, here's a question--tipping. I understand there are kind of set amounts, but when do you pay them? Do you tip at Palo? Are there times you tip when service is rendered (I assume room service)? Can someone give a primer on tipping, please?

Thanks!

(BTW, see the two kids in the front seat below? They ain't going! :yay: :flower3::love:)

We just signed up for our first cruise (we're mid-fifties)! Okay, here's a question--tipping. I understand there are kind of set amounts, but when do you pay them? Do you tip at Palo? Are there times you tip when service is rendered (I assume room service)? Can someone give a primer on tipping, please?

Thanks!

(BTW, see the two kids in the front seat below? They ain't going! :yay: :flower3::love:)

Hi and :welcome: to the cruise!

I paid my tips on the night before we disembarked. This was for the stateroom hostess, head waiter, server and assistant server. I am glad I did this, because I very pleased with our stateroom hostess and added a little extra for her. This was charged toward my on board account.

When we dined at Palo, we each got a bill to authorize the $15 upcharge for dining there along with any wine/liquor we drank. There was also a line for a tip. We added an additional tip for our server. (Same thing at brunch.) This was charged toward my on board account.

When you get a drink at a bar, there is a line for a tip. This was charged toward my on board account.

If you order room service, you tip on a cash basis. This was out of pocket.

Once we disembarked, there was a very nice gentleman to help with our luggage. We had a lot of luggage....
P1090340.jpg

(that's just mine..not including what I had draped on me.)
Tipped him with cash as well.

To piggy back on Todd's answer, you can pre-pay your tips to the stateroom host, server, asst. server, and dining manager. I believe the suggested amount is $48 per person in your room.

You and DW = 2 people x $48 = $96 total.

If you pre-pay your tips to these people, on your last night you will recieve tickets and envelopes you will hand to each person stating tips have been given.

Hope that helps.

I found these new sheets in walmart today... they are laundry soap, fabric softner and dryer sheets all in one and no liquid... not sure how they work but the first thing I thought was "those would be great for a Disney Trip"

They are made by Purex. I purchased them a few weeks ago and did try them. I have to say I thought they worked pretty well.
It will definitely be easier to pack seeing they won't take up any space.

I found these new sheets in walmart today... they are laundry soap, fabric softner and dryer sheets all in one and no liquid... not sure how they work but the first thing I thought was "those would be great for a Disney Trip"

They are made by Purex. I purchased them a few weeks ago and did try them. I have to say I thought they worked pretty well.
It will definitely be easier to pack seeing they won't take up any space.

That's exactly the very first thing I thought when I heard about them too!
Glad to hear they work well. :thumbsup2

I would suggest you fly SW. They fly out of LaGuardia and LI. :thumbsup2 There is plenty of storage space in the stateroom. I was able to fit my empty luggage under the bed no problem.
This is what I brought with me (plus a garment bag not pictured)...
helmet823.jpg

The best advice is don't overpack but if you must overpack (I fall into this group:teeth:) Fly SW and use a porter to handle the bags. :thumbsup2

Now I realize you were the shoe-holic I mentioned in my first post! *Hi!* Thanks for the great advice! I am going to really try to behave and not pack like a crazy woman. Like the picture too, btw!

Didn't pay much attention to info about the first podcast cruise, but now seriously thinking about going on the next one! Just a couple of questions what kind of special events/and or things in general did the podcast cruise entail?? I heard about the Palo brunch (and heard no, not next time) and some gifts for your rooms, and privat bbq on castaway cay, anything else??? Also has anybody done the excursion on Nassau where they went to the beach at Atlantis / or has anyone had any luck getting off the boat and buying a dig pass for cheaper at the port?? Just starting my research thanks everyone!! Hope to see you on 2.0.

I was one of those who did not pre-pay our tips before the cruise. Instead, we went down to the Guest Services desk on the last day. Our stateroom host had left a form and envelopes in our stateroom one night to help with the process one evening during turndown service. I filled out the form and took it to Guest Services. You can do whatever amount you would like...either the minimum amount or a little more if you prefer. They charged it to our cabin and printed out little tickets that I put into the envelopes and then we gave the envelopes to the appropriate people that evening. Easy as cake! :thumbsup2

Didn't pay much attention to info about the first podcast cruise, but now seriously thinking about going on the next one! Just a couple of questions what kind of special events/and or things in general did the podcast cruise entail?? I heard about the Palo brunch (and heard no, not next time) and some gifts for your rooms, and privat bbq on castaway cay, anything else??? Also has anybody done the excursion on Nassau where they went to the beach at Atlantis / or has anyone had any luck getting off the boat and buying a dig pass for cheaper at the port?? Just starting my research thanks everyone!! Hope to see you on 2.0.
The events that were hosted by the DIS Unplugged crew were the welcome aboard party, the podcast taping, the Disney Institute presentations with Mark and Lee, Palo Brunch, a party at Castaway Cay (not a private BBQ...it was at the Head's Up bar), and the farewell party on the last night. Did I miss anything? Not sure what the crew will have in store for us on the next one, but I can promise that it'll be pretty cool!

We got off of the ship in Nassau, but didn't make it into Nassau...we just walked through some buildings and then got back on board so I can't help you with those questions...

Hope to see you on the next one!

The Ardastra Gardens tour in Nassau is well worth the time and price. Outside of the excursions, I wouldn't recommend spending much time in Nassau. The word "sewer" is a pretty good description of the city itsself.

We just signed up for our first cruise (we're mid-fifties)! (BTW, see the two kids in the front seat below? They ain't going! :yay: :flower3::love:)

Glad to see a couple of other Boomers on board! I was beginning to feel like we were the only AARP card holders going! ;)

We're not bringing our kids either (unless they can pay their own way... which might be possible by then...they'll be 20 & 23)

Glad to see a couple of other Boomers on board! I was beginning to feel like we were the only AARP card holders going! ;)

We're not bringing our kids either (unless they can pay their own way... which might be possible by then...they'll be 20 & 23)

We are also happy AARP carriers LOL so you won't be alone for sure...

I did the Beach day at Atlantis excursion. It was very nice. They start out with a quick tour of the resort. Showing you where the aquariums are since they are included in your package. We ate lunch at one of the restaurants included in the package and it was pretty good. The beach was nice and not very crowded. That said I might not do this again. I think I would have enjoyed exploring the ship more. We had never cruised before and that the sea day everything was way more crowded.

Becky

I know you don't need a passport to sail, but how about to get off the ship in the bahamas??

I know you don't need a passport to sail, but how about to get off the ship in the bahamas??

Actually, as of today you need a passport just to get on the ship. I used a birth certificate for 1.0, but will be getting/needing a passport for 2.0.

According to the U.S. Department of State's website:
Regarding the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative-"On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security. "

When leaving the ship in Nassau and Castaway Cay, do you carry your passport with you?

I am concerned how to keep "valuables" (money, credit cards, passport) safe and secure while I am off the beach and in the water.

:confused3

When leaving the ship in Nassau and Castaway Cay, do you carry your passport with you?

I am concerned how to keep "valuables" (money, credit cards, passport) safe and secure while I am off the beach and in the water.

You just need your Key to the World card (room key) and a photo id (drivers license will do) to get on and off the ship at Castaway Cay; I never got off at Nassau so I'm not sure if procedure is the same.
Also, on Castaway Cay everything can be charged to your KTTW card, so you don't need to worry about cash or CC.

I just re-listened to one of the Cruise primers from the March Podcasts. John mentioned that they just carry a Color Copy of their Passport with them. I am getting both the Passport book & the passport card. I figured I would just carry the passport card off the ship. There are waterproof containers available that you can get for keeping your money and other items with you, when you get in the water.

I just re-listened to one of the Cruise primers from the March Podcasts. John mentioned that they just carry a Color Copy of their Passport with them. I am getting both the Passport book & the passport card. I figured I would just carry the passport card off the ship. There are waterproof containers available that you can get for keeping your money and other items with you, when you get in the water.

I got both the passport book and card. You need the book to fly. The card will work with land and sea travels.

When leaving the town of Nassau going back to the ship, the 'border agent' (term to be taken loosely...much like the whole attitude in the Bahamas) looked at our ID, read our name aloud, and wished us safe journeys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter