? for NJ/NYers

elan

waiting for sandal season...
We are planning on adding a few days to our vacation this year and do some sight seeing in New York. Anyone now of a nice area/place to stay at in New Jersey that would make it easy to get into New York? We are not adverse to staying in New York but WOW the hotels are kinda pricey. If you think it is best to stay in New York where should we stay? We will probably visit the Bronx zoo, Statue of Liberty, and the Pokemon Store. Thanks

I am not from the NJ/NYC area, but we do go down a few times a year. We always stay in the Rutherford/Secaucus area of NJ which is just minutes outside of the Lincoln Tunnel. There are quite a few nice hotels in that area and they are much less expensive than New York City.

We've stayed at the Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel and the Embassy Suites. There are a lot of restaurants nearby and a shopping plaza. I believe the hotels have shuttles that run into New York, but we've always driven our car in. Depending on traffic, we've made it from the hotel to a parking garage in Times Square in less than 20 minutes.

I live in northern NJ so clearly I have not stayed at any of the hotels in NJ. I think it would be just as expensive to stay in some NJ hotels as it would be to stay in some in the city. I would look into the Marriott Financial Center. Its down in the financial district obviously, but it's beautiful and not too pricey, we stayed there for newyears this past year. You should check hilton.com, marriott.com, etc and see what you can find on there.

There is a Sheraton Suites that is right next to a ferry stop in Weehawken, NJ.

There is a Marriott and Double Tree close to a PATH station in Jersey City in the Newport area. There is also a Hyatt Regency in Jersey City by the Exchange Place station. But my parents found out that these places were almost as $$$ as NYC. But that may have been just an odd occasion.

Maybe some of the airport hotels would be less? Whatever you do, please remember that you'll be much better off if you DON'T drive into the City. Parking can be $$$$, and just the hassle alone of trying to battle the traffic, when you're not familiar with the area, would be exhausting.

Your best bet is to check out which hotels offer shuttle service into Manhattan, or better yet, are near enough to a train line that comes in.

Good luck - enjoy your trip.

Yeah Secaucus would be a good pick....nice hotels, shopping, and a little known fact is that Secaucus was the site of one of the very first DIS meets...right Dan?

You can take a bus, or now even a train (new station) right into NYC...

Check it out:

www.secaucus.org

There's a couple of OK hotels in Lyndhurst, NJ and there are NY buses right there. There's also a Medieval Times right down the block from them if you felt like taking in a show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter