• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For $2 Billion Disney could have built 16 major attractions instead of fast pass+

tommygunn

Maniacal Disney Addict!!!!!
I'm basing this off of Wikipedia which states that Everest cost around $100MM to build. Adjusting for inflation that would be around $120MM in today's dollars so spending $2B could have instead meant 16 major attractions (16.7 to be exact!)

$2B is a lot of coin. Think about what the Imagineering crew could have done with that. Endless possibilities. But we got an app. What a waste...

Do you not like technology in general, and just favor making more of what we have?

For example. Say 40 years ago someone made a paper airplane. They could keep making paper airplanes forever. Then someone had the foresight to invent a computer. And they were awful clunky beasts that were mocked. It would take you 1000 x longer to program, print, fold a paper airplane on a computer than you could simply fold by hand. So why should people spend thousands (and eventually billions upon billions) of dollars developing computer technologies when we can already build paper airplanes without them?

Because, 10, 20, 30, and 40 years later, they change the world for the better. We can now build technological wonders that are the dreamliners that fly things all over the world. Because while other ppl were thinking they just want to build more of what they had, someone else thought to invest in building technology -- technology that seemed silly, unnecessary, and wasteful to those who did not also have the same foresight.

This technology for Disney is the same. Yes they could have made more rides (and in all seriousness they are putting in rides left and right). But this technology will set them apart from all their competition for many years, who will now play catchup to try to get similar systems to be competitive.

Even tho technology is expensive, I'm glad we have ppl running Disney that embrace it instead of someone who would only put in more rides. I think they're taking a very balanced approach! They are putting in new rides, new lands, opening new theme parks, and renovating others, while also furthering their technology.

But they didn't.

There are going to be a lot of new attractions at AK and DHS apparently. Maybe those don't count because it will be some time before we see them.

Ugh, that makes me a little ill. . . I get that they needed crowd management that has little to do with "enhancing guest experience", but couldn't we have split the difference? Half as much on my magic+ and 8 new attractions?

For shiggles, I'd put a few slow/dark rides in Workd Showcase, add a few updated attractions in Epcot Future World, then hit DHS pretty hard. Looks like they're now working on DHS, but it's a bit of a ghost town and a mess until we start seeing where that park is headed.

There is absolutely no way that FP+ actually cost $2 billion. Not even close.

We got an app...the never worked right for me while I was there.

Same for me - seldom worked. The "We are experiencing technical difficulties" error message was more common than not.

Just for shiggles, where would you have put these 16 major attractions?

Somewhere on 27,000 acres - maybe even some of the unused space in Epcot.

Paper airplanes?

Yeah, maybe he's thinking of the Test Track refurb. Although $2B could buy a massive amount of plywood cutouts and fluorescent paint. Impressive how when given an opportunity to show what they can do in terms of applying "technology that isn't silly, unnecessary, and wasteful" that's what Disney came up with.

His analogy compared investing in MM+ technology designed to squeeze maximum dollars out of guests to developing paper airplanes. I suppose some people could also compare Disney's investment in MM+ to that of purchasing an albatross.

Just for shiggles, where would you have put these 16 major attractions?

Start by putting the Indiana Jones ride between Jungle Cruise and POTC. DL did, in the exact same amount of space that WDW "doesn't have to put a new attraction."

Continue to use that efficient line of thought and make an overwhelming amount of great attractions!!!!

Do you not like technology in general, and just favor making more of what we have?

I love technology, but I rode MM+ several times over the last few weeks and found it to have a poor theme, somewhat bumpy, and overall not very interesting; certainly not interesting enough to stand in line for.

:rotfl2:

Pretty sure that $2B would have been a good start on a new theme park. That's a lot of coin. Instead we have an app that has everyone looking at their stupid phones every 5 seconds (as if they weren't doing that already).

I love technology, but I rode MM+ several times over the last few weeks and found it to have a poor theme, somewhat bumpy, and overall not very interesting; certainly not interesting enough to stand in line for.

:rotfl2:

That's what people said about computers! Fortunately for the world, not everyone bails on progress at the first sign of a bumpy or uninteresting ride. Some ppl even look past the hurdles to the future and succeed in building both an amazing and profitable theme park.

Folks I am not a big fan of FP+ and I agree it's main purpose was not the make for better guest experiences, it was to smooth out the lines which it has done at the expense of massive forced planning...........

However the bottom line here is that we are very soon, we are going to have bands in our lives to do almost every thing from shopping to banking, to work, to running your cars, to going to all Theme Parks and entertainment venues..........you can see them showing up in commercials now. Cards will be gone sooner then we realize.

Not something I am looking forward to.

AKK

That's what people said about computers! Fortunately for the world, not everyone bails on progress at the first sign of a bumpy or uninteresting ride.

True, but I think you missed my metaphor. The theme park customers want meat but Disney's monumental effort is to distribute hummus.

Even more simplistic: "You invested $2B into the parks? Awesome! When can I start riding?"

Just because a company throws massive amounts of resources into a forward thinking, cost minimizing, revenue enhancing, technological marvel doesn't mean it was the best thing to do and their customers will automatically accept it based on those merits alone.

"Where's the BEEF?"

1. Elsa's Let it Go Luge
2. Anna's Love at First Sight Wedding Pavilion
3. Han's Best Kept Secret Kiosk
4. Kristof's Inappropriate Talking Petting Zoo
5. Marshmallow Blasters
6. King and Queen of Arendelle Sea Voyage Premium Package
7. Walking on Thin Ice Magicband Functionality Test
8. Pick a Pearl for Elsa's Crown
9. Hang in there Joan Glider Experience (Soarin Overlay)
10. Enchanted Tales with Annoying Arendelle Citizens
11. A Bit of a Fixer Upper Troll Speed Dating Experience
12. Coronation Dinner Package...Reserved Seating for Gate Opening Ceremony
13. Warm Hug Obstacle Course
14. Those Mountains Are Filled With Environmental Friendly Fossil Fuels with Ellen
15. Where's Rapunzel? The Ultimate Challenge to find Anything Non Frozen Related in a Gift Shop
16. All Mickey Shapes to be replaced with Snowman...Snowman Ice Cream Bar, Snowman Rice Krispie Treats, Snowman Cookies, Snowman Chicken Nuggets, Snowman Antennae Toppers, Snowman Ear Hats, Snowman Magicband Sensors (1billion dollar upgrade), Snowman Beignets, Snowman Waffles, Snowman Pancakes, etc, etc, etc

I wonder what it would cost to have the Mods lock these threads every time someone starts one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter