"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

I4 from about 4pm to 7pm is horrible.At that time of day, I would consider I4 to Sanford and then SR417 to WDW. It will cost you about $8 in tolls and is priceless for lack of traffic and hassles.

Heading down May 6 (Friday) from Philly! Leaving about 3 am is it should put us into Orlando around 6pm. My question is how bad is traffic on I4 around that time. I'm thinking very heavy. I was thinking of taking I 10 over to 75 and come down. Would that be a better idea? All recommendations would be great! Thanks!!!
Assuming you are coming down I-95 I would not take I-10 over to I-75. That's a really long way around.

Yes, traffic will be heavy on I-4 through Orlando at 6 pm. However, if you stop for something to eat between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach and linger for an hour, you might do well to just stick with I-4. Failing that, when you get to the Sanford area take 417 (toll) around Orlando.

Assuming you are coming down I-95 I would not take I-10 over to I-75. That's a really long way around.

Yes, traffic will be heavy on I-4 through Orlando at 6 pm. However, if you stop for something to eat between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach and linger for an hour, you might do well to just stick with I-4. Failing that, when you get to the Sanford area take 417 (toll) around Orlando.
Great thanks! I had a feeling it would be out of the way. Do you know about much tolls would be on 417?

Great that's not bad. I think we will take that.
Do you drive often? If so, consider getting a SunPass transponder. We got one last trip. They sell them in a vending machine at the FL welcome center. The mini is $5.35. You set up an account online and fund it with at least $10. Then you zip past the tolls on 417 and don't have to worry about having or getting change.

Do you drive often? If so, consider getting a SunPass transponder. We got one last trip. They sell them in a vending machine at the FL welcome center. The mini is $5.35. You set up an account online and fund it with at least $10. Then you zip past the tolls on 417 and don't have to worry about having or getting change.
I'll second @disneysteve on this, Sunpass is the way to go. If you just have one car in the family (or would only be traveling in FL with one car) then go for the sticker model that just glues to your windshield. If you'll be switching out at times (maybe flying in and renting a car?) then get the one with suction cups that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. :drive:

Yes I would say we go often. Actually just got back January 3rd.

We went a few miles off 95 and stayed at the SpringHill Suites Savannah Midtown. There is also one right at the 95 exit but I was able to get the farther one on points for a lower value.

I'm thinking Savannah will be our stopping point from Ohio when we head down over Easter. I'd like to get a little closer to Orlando, but since we'll be driving on Good Friday, I'm worried that we will run into a lot of traffic once we hit I-95.

Laurie

Heading down May 6 (Friday) from Philly! Leaving about 3 am is it should put us into Orlando around 6pm. My question is how bad is traffic on I4 around that time. I'm thinking very heavy. I was thinking of taking I 10 over to 75 and come down. Would that be a better idea? All recommendations would be great! Thanks!!!

It appears that you will be facing northern VA rush hour traffic (not a pleasant experience). And, yes, I-4 around Orlando at 6 p.m. is just as bad. Remember: go a bit farther. You want to get to Lake Buena Vista.

All the best! :thumbsup2

I'm thinking Savannah will be our stopping point from Ohio when we head down over Easter. I'd like to get a little closer to Orlando, but since we'll be driving on Good Friday, I'm worried that we will run into a lot of traffic once we hit I-95.

Laurie
Laurie, the drive from Savannah to WDW isn't bad at all. Val & I have done it several times and its about 4.5 hours. Sounds like you'll be doing the I-4 stretch through Orlando on a Saturday so it won't be as bad a traffic nightmare as during the week. You could say hello to Lauren and Jerri while you are there.

Laurie, the drive from Savannah to WDW isn't bad at all. Val & I have done it several times and its about 4.5 hours. Sounds like you'll be doing the I-4 stretch through Orlando on a Saturday so it won't be as bad a traffic nightmare as during the week. You could say hello to Lauren and Jerri while you are there.

That would be great!

I asked this in another thread but thought I'd ask here too - We leave next Wednesday for Florida, our GPS tells us it's about 5hr, 30mins to just outside Pittsburgh, PA. DH wants to leave about 3am, we'd be just on the outskirts at 8:30am - putting us right in rush hour. I want to leave about 5am, hitting Pittsburgh at 10:30am? We are watching the weather, and also factoring it's about 12hrs to Charlotte, NC so leaving later means we'd hit their evening rush hour.

I asked this in another thread but thought I'd ask here too - We leave next Wednesday for Florida, our GPS tells us it's about 5hr, 30mins to just outside Pittsburgh, PA. DH wants to leave about 3am, we'd be just on the outskirts at 8:30am - putting us right in rush hour. I want to leave about 5am, hitting Pittsburgh at 10:30am? We are watching the weather, and also factoring it's about 12hrs to Charlotte, NC so leaving later means we'd hit their evening rush hour.

What route are you taking? We hit the morning rush for Charlotte this past Monday, and it really wasn't bad. But we didn't go into the city itself. We took Route 77, which was west of the city. Not saying there was no traffic, but it wasn't a bumper-to-bumper crawl, either.

Pittsburgh has a lot of construction with at least one project delayed almost a year past its completion date. The Turpike always has something going on, I swear. So it can be a tough drive there even when it's not rush hour.

i77/79 - looks like we'll be there in the evening but I don't mind stopping for a meal if we have to.

Well, now, prices for gas of late have made WDW drives less expensive. Our savings on our last drive down translated to some "free" Cracker Barrel breakfasts + "free" I-95 tolls. Not bad.

Well, now, prices for gas of late have made WDW drives less expensive. Our savings on our last drive down translated to some "free" Cracker Barrel breakfasts + "free" I-95 tolls. Not bad.

I was shocked at how cheap gas was. I swear, we saw $1.45 in one of the Carolinas. In Maryland, it was still somewhere around $1.65. Then we hit Pennsylvania, where we live, and it jumped forty cents. If you can avoid gassing up in PA, I'd advise it. I don't know where that forty cents goes, but I suspect I'm not benefiting from it.

i77/79 - looks like we'll be there in the evening but I don't mind stopping for a meal if we have to.

Granted, it will be a few years before I make this drive again, but I found 77 to be a piece of cake. We ended up driving home after our flights were cancelled because of winter storm Joe Jonas. The drive was so easy, I told my husband next trip, he can just meet me in Orlando. I'm a convert to driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter