"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Any suggestions where to stop in October driving north on I95 from Disney? Our final destination is MA, but we are planning a few nights with our Grandkids in Annapolis on the way up. So I am thinking of stopping one night halfway between Disney and Annapolis. We will probably hit the road around 1 -2 PM to start the trip which is why I am thinking of a halfway point. A Courtyard near I95 would be ideal as we are Marriott Rewards members and could potentially use points.
Thanks for all suggesetions.

Try Florence SC - seems like that might be roughly halfway between Disney and MD.

Thanks to those who replied with their suggestions/recommendations! As of right now, the weather is looking much more promising. Clear in Indy and Louisville on Saturday, rain with temps in the 40's in Nashville. If this forecast holds, we're back on for a Saturday morning departure. However, if we do leave on Friday, we've settled on arriving in Orlando on Sunday and spending Monday finding out what else it has to offer. We can easily kill a couple hours just driving around residential areas. A big reason we'll head straight to Orlando is because we're already looking at a 3-day drive. As much as I like driving, and I really like it, I am not too keen on a 4-day drive where we normally do it in two. I'll be watching the weather closely over the next week, that's for sure. But no matter what, in no more than 6 days and 6 hours, we'll be on our way!

Thanks to those who replied with their suggestions/recommendations! As of right now, the weather is looking much more promising. Clear in Indy and Louisville on Saturday, rain with temps in the 40's in Nashville. If this forecast holds, we're back on for a Saturday morning departure. However, if we do leave on Friday, we've settled on arriving in Orlando on Sunday and spending Monday finding out what else it has to offer. We can easily kill a couple hours just driving around residential areas. A big reason we'll head straight to Orlando is because we're already looking at a 3-day drive. As much as I like driving, and I really like it, I am not too keen on a 4-day drive where we normally do it in two. I'll be watching the weather closely over the next week, that's for sure. But no matter what, in no more than 6 days and 6 hours, we'll be on our way!
If you do stay in Orlando, the now have the Orlando Eye, which I think looks really cool.

Hi fellow drivers,
We are thinking about driving down to WDW once again from NJ and will be taking the inland route this time. Can anyone recommend a safe clean place to stay on the way back near VA? We are used to the I-95 route but aren't familiar with the inland route and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you!

Hi fellow drivers,
We are thinking about driving down to WDW once again from NJ and will be taking the inland route this time. Can anyone recommend a safe clean place to stay on the way back near VA? We are used to the I-95 route but aren't familiar with the inland route and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you!

The familiar well-known hotel chains usually don't disappoint, no matter what route you take. Usually.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Anyone drive on I-4 of late?

We'll be driving it on Monday!

First leg of our 3-day drive is complete. We drove from Wisconsin to Manchester, TN. About 9.5 hours on the road, plus another 1/2 hour or so for breaks. Perfect weather, minimal traffic until Nashville. Tomorrow we continue on to Valdosta, GA. And we'll finally arrive in Orlando late Monday morning.

We'll be driving it on Monday!

First leg of our 3-day drive is complete. We drove from Wisconsin to Manchester, TN. About 9.5 hours on the road, plus another 1/2 hour or so for breaks. Perfect weather, minimal traffic until Nashville. Tomorrow we continue on to Valdosta, GA. And we'll finally arrive in Orlando late Monday morning.

Excellent! May your journey be a safe one, and please provide us all with an I-4 report. And don't forget to travel a bit beyond Orlando to Lake Buena Vista. That's where the Magic is. :cool1:

We leave a week from today from Cincinnati. We were going to stop overnight in Valdosta as well, but as of late our daughter has been waking up about 3am and then going back to sleep. So we decided to leave when she wakes up, she can sleep in the car, and we'll drive straight through. That'll put us at Old Key West for a night and then onto the Poly on Sunday night.

Just returned home last night at 10:00

I'm in Georgia and use 75 to Ocala then the turnpike for going to Disney

I had no problems with I 4 and was on it a couple of times
Traffic was smooth, no issues at all for me

Left Orlando late so stopped in Valdosta at 10:30 pm Sunday night

Figured would rest and drive the 5 hours next day/Monday

Got on 75 ramp at 3:40 pm that Monday and rerouted
Accident up near Marietta way with semi tractor trailer and 5 cars

Clean up after vehicle removal was completed around 7??

You have no idea how backed up the Dixie highway (41) became

Hours .........I will never get back
Lol

This one experience with hours wasted makes me plan to fly out of Atlanta for my October stay

Rather deal with long lines at the airport then creeping for hours on 75

We'll be doing our 6th ( I think) drive down in April. We have both driven straight through a couple of times and stayed overnight a few more times. DH would rather just drive straight even though it's not my favorite. He also would rather do all the driving which sometimes makes me crazy, but when we drive straight through I'm pretty much useless anyway. We normally don't drive if we're just staying a week but SW flights are making that happen this time around. We missed the day flights came out so we were pretty much out of luck. It really stinks being a teacher and tied down to school vacations where airlines jack prices up so far out of reach.
I am just so happy to be heading down to my happy place!! I am so sick of snow and freezing cold temps.
We would have been heading down next week if it wasn't for H.S. hockey.

Hi everyone - so glad I found this thread! I'll be driving with my two girls from MI with the spring break crowds down to WDW. My plan is to leave Friday morning and stop in Knoxville, TN for the night. We don't check in until Sunday, so I'm thinking we'll make another stop a few hours away from WDW on Saturday night. I've seen a few people mention Valdosta. Is that a better place to stop than Lake City, FL? I was just looking at Google maps for cities along I-75.

Thanks!

i think valdosta has better hotels and all close to 75 when you exit.
plenty of food places near by the hotel sections.
i needed the hotel last sunday night and booked it a few days out

but Lake City would also work fine for you in needing the one night stay.
there are many choices in Lake City

if you drive further down 75 and hit gainesville, hotel rates were much higher there for my date.

it is a 3 hour drive from valdosta to disney
that i liked as i could get a decent night sleep and not have a long drive the next day.

took a break to look both cities up for hotels.
put in your saturday date and not much available for valdosta
but plenty of available in Lake City

about a one hour drive from valdosta to lake city.

knoxville to lake city could be 7.5 hour drive
and your next day to disney would be a 2 hour drive

i think valdosta has better hotels and all close to 75 when you exit.
plenty of food places near by the hotel sections.
i needed the hotel last sunday night and booked it a few days out

but Lake City would also work fine for you in needing the one night stay.
there are many choices in Lake City

if you drive further down 75 and hit gainesville, hotel rates were much higher there for my date.

it is a 3 hour drive from valdosta to disney
that i liked as i could get a decent night sleep and not have a long drive the next day.

took a break to look both cities up for hotels.
put in your saturday date and not much available for valdosta
but plenty of available in Lake City

about a one hour drive from valdosta to lake city.

knoxville to lake city could be 7.5 hour drive
and your next day to disney would be a 2 hour drive

Great - thanks so much for the info! I figured since it's spring break timing I'd better get looking and booking something. Appreciate your help! :sunny:

:thanks:

Hi everyone! This will be our first time driving to WDW, though we've been many times. We'll be traveling from central Illinois - 2 cars, 8 people - over 2 days. Here are my questions for you experienced travelers:

1. I've heard that going around Atlanta is better than through. Can you guys confirm? We'll likely be going through on a Saturday somewhere around 8pm or so (best guess).
2. Can anyone recommend a good, relatively inexpensive, safe and clean place to stay south of Atlanta?
3. We'll be staying at Windsor Palms which is just south-west of Disney, will we hit tolls? I want to be prepared with change.

Thanks so much!

I live just north of Atlanta and I prefer to drive thru it than take the alternate route

Other posters that don't live in the area will have the opposite opinion

I time it to go south through the city and hit Atlanta around 8:15 am
Not much traffic but it is packed on it for those south of the city going north

Returning home from Atlanta I avoid rush hour from 4:30 to maybe close to 6

Last Monday was the first time ever I was on 75 and it shut down to a 5 car and a semi trailer tractor accident

This happened north of Atlanta

But this can happen on any major highway

Saturday at 8 pm should be fine for you as long as no major events/sports are scheduled to go thru the city

I used Carlson hotel in Valdosta when I returned last week for one night
They dropped the price by $25 due to my AAA card

About 20 hotels in that area and you can find many at exit 18 which I used and the other exits off 75
All were easy off and on to 75
Prices can run from $69 to $145 a night

Can't help you with the toll question
Not sure where Windsor is located

Hi everyone! This will be our first time driving to WDW, though we've been many times. We'll be traveling from central Illinois - 2 cars, 8 people - over 2 days. Here are my questions for you experienced travelers:

1. I've heard that going around Atlanta is better than through. Can you guys confirm? We'll likely be going through on a Saturday somewhere around 8pm or so (best guess).

We always go through, Atlanta, never around. Saturday at 8 PM should be OK. Just remember; the far left (carpool) Lane is your friend.

2. Can anyone recommend a good, relatively inexpensive, safe and clean place to stay south of Atlanta?

How far south of Atlanta? We've stayed in both McDonough and Walnut Grove. Both are just south of Atlanta. Between the two towns right next to each other, you'll find all the major chains.

Then, there is Macon, about an hour farther south. There are a few good places along the bypass (I-475). This is one time you want to take the bypass. Not because of traffic; the bypass is actually a straight shot.

Valdosta, while nice, is a good 3 to 3 1/2 hours south of Atlanta. Great stop, if you don't want to get in until midnight. It is that much closer to Disney.

3. We'll be staying at Windsor Palms which is just south-west of Disney, will we hit tolls? I want to be prepared with change.

Thanks so much!
1. Through Atlanta has always served me better than going around. Between the semi trucks and wrecks it's not worth it to go around. Unless, like a PP said, I75 is closed.
2. I would say that Macon is probably the closest and best option south of Atlanta. Unless you want to drive to Valdosta which is infinitely better.
3. No experience driving past Disney and tolls. We get about $6-$10 in tolls on the drive down when we stay on property.

Driving north to WDW this morning...from 225 miles away...after a 1,300 mile journey to FL that began on Jan. 5 from the Jersey Shore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter