FOP - Motion Sickness

BlackMagicWoman

Mouseketeer
For everyone has ridden, if you experience motion sickness how rough was this? I can't do the theater in china, struggled through Ellen's Adventure when all the screens move and had a barftastic experience in the VR attraction at DisneyQuest. Would this take me down?

I can do all roller coasters and Soarin’ but this one did me in, as have Star Tours, Mission Space Orange, and Forbidden Journey in the past. I closed my eyes through most of it which helped. I think the IMAX 3D style of this ride is what caused my issues. I cannot watch IMAX movies...

I think it would.

I traveled with 2 people in September who don't normally have motion sickness issues, but FoP really did them in.

I can do Soarin with no problems, Star Tours makes me a little queasy. FOP is somewhere in between for me, after I figured out a way to keep my glasses on my head without having to actually hold on to them (tuck them into a stretchy headband) I was able to ride it without too much discomfort. This is a ride I don't ride when I'm by myself but do ride when my son is with me because he loves it.

Even with Dramamine I can't do Star Tours and I have to look at the floor at various parts of Wonders of China to keep from getting motion sick. I took Dramamine in the morning and did FoP in the early afternoon. Here's what I experienced:

At the very beginning of the actual ride, there is a part that kind of reminds me of "warp speed" on Star Tours. I started to feel queasy and started to panic a bit. Felt the same queasy and panicked feeling when the darkness subsided and the "landscape" was in front of me. I was certain I was in for a terrible experience but then I realized that I was fighting the ride. I was telling myself that it was just a ride and making myself aware that it was just a screen and that I was just on a platform. I realized doing that was making it worse, so I gave into the experience. By that I mean that I literally pretended I was riding on the back of a Banshee flying through the trees instead of fighting the experience and trying to find ways to NOT feel queasy. As soon as I did that the queasiness and panicky feeling immediately disappeared. It helped that there is cool air blowing in your face most of the ride. After that, the entire ride was amazing. I did actually cry from being so overwhelmed. It is now my favorite ride at WDW.

I pretty much get sick with all 3D/4Drides ... I don’t do Star Tours but I can do Soarin okay. I can’t do anything at Universal. I was fine on FOP. Not sure why, possibly the timing or my eyes followed correctly. It’s worth a try because it’s a great ride.

If you have trouble on motion simulators, take a Dramamine. It’s a motion simulator. A very nice one, but one nonetheless.

I got sick on it, as I do on all motion simulators. But I wouldn’t let that keep me off the ride.

I have bad motion sickness. I can't be a passenger in a car and I get sick even on a swing set. So at Disney I typically take a Bonine every day if I'm going on anything I suspect will set it off. Even with Bonine it's not 100% gone.

With Bonine I'm completely fine on Soarin'. Aside from a brief moment Soarin' is actually enjoyable not just tolerated. I get a few twinges of nausea on 7DMT, I can do BTMRR once but twice and it starts to be a problem, at night it's way worse. I avoid Star Tours like the plague because it's too similar to Body Wars which was my all time worst motion sickness experience.

So all that said, FoP was rough, but not too rough that I'd never do it again. The issue for me was the speed at which things were coming at me on the screen. The movement itself wasn't bad. There was one point I just had to close my eyes as it got to be too much and I opened them up briefly on and off after that. I got off feeling a little queasy, but was glad that I rode it because it was a really cool experience. We had a lunch reservation right afterwards and by the time we got to Tiffins and got our meal I was feeling well enough to eat normally. But I purposely planned it pre-meal as I did not want a full stomach and I think that was definitely the right call.

If you have any motion sickness treatment you find helpful I'd use it and give it a try.

Rides with lots of movement and screens get to me. Close my eyes on Star Tours, Mission Space is like my own personal version of hell, but rollercoasters are generally fine.

Rode FOP in May at the AP preview with no issues. I did glance over at DS for a few seconds just to “stabilize” my vision at one point (and to make sure he was OK!), but other than that I was fine with no lingering issues. Thought the ride was amazing.

Rode FOP for the second time yesterday. Perhaps it was just the morning after NYE :-)rolleyes1) but this time it felt more intense to me... started to give me that “blue” feeling half way through. I know it was the exact same ride I did in May but it sure felt different, for whatever reason!

Fortunately the “blue” feeling faded pretty quickly after the ride, so no big issues... which is unlike something like Star Tours which makes me feel bad the whole rest of the day.

I will still happily go on this ride though... love it!

For everyone has ridden, if you experience motion sickness how rough was this? I can't do the theater in china, struggled through Ellen's Adventure when all the screens move and had a barftastic experience in the VR attraction at DisneyQuest. Would this take me down?

Everyone's different, I know, but once did me in. All the swoops and fast changing of scenery had me closing my eyes most of the ride, all the while trying to keep my glasses on my head (they need to fix that, for sure)!

I felt really 'off' for over an hour afterwards so didn't try it again this trip. Dh benefited, as he used my other 2 FP's - 5 total for him. He loved it! I liked it, but just couldn't take the fast pace.

We rode with 3 adults and 2 kids. My daughter has the worst motion sickness I've ever heard of. She throws up in the car all the time. However, on FOP she was fine and even wanted (and successfully rode) a second ride.

Now the 3 adults all felt sick after getting off. One being my husband whowas like DD as a child but now is OK unless on spinny rides. MY FIl, who IDK any details and me who has no issues whatsoever. Teacups would literally be my favorite ride if I ever got to ride it! All walked off feeling very dizzy and not wanting to ride again. However, we had a rider switch and DH nor FIL could ride again (due to motion sickness) so it was up to me. So, we went out side switch off and I headed back in with the kids. When we got off that ride I could barely walk straight. I wasn't motion sickness or anything but very very dizzy. I almost felt like a weird drunk.

Like others said everyone is different but here is our experience. We were really worried about my daughter on this ride but she was totally fine both rides. In fact, I said the second ride itself was better for me b/c I wasn't worried about her, but then I was so so dizzy which is really unusual for me!

I love Soarin, but Star Tours does me in, and I had heard it described as a combo of these, so I was worried about feeling nauseous on FoP. I decided to take Bonine every night before bed on the trip for any motion sickness, as I was going to try RnRC and EE as well, and don't do well with upside down or backwards. I was happily surprised I felt fine on FoP and enjoyed it - not sure if Bonine made a difference. I closed my eyes once when I felt there was a corkscrew move coming by the Banshee, but other than that, just felt the stomach drop you get on roller coasters when you dive down. Cool breezes probably help as well, as PP mentioned. To me it was like Soarin on steroids, almost more like a coaster, which I like.

Recently rode FOP on our 12/17 trip. I was extremely apprehensive due to my size (6'3" and 300 lbs.) and my inclination to motion sickness as I have gotten older. I have had a few bouts of benign positional vertigo so I took a Meclizine the morning of my FOP FP. I am happy to say that not only did I fit comfortably on the ride but I did not experience any motion sickness at all. The ride is absolutely amazing and I was fortune to ride it twice during my trip.

You don’t mention whether you take any medicine for your motion sickness, but from your description of your sensitivity I wouldn’t try FoP without taking something. Everyone’s different but taking one all day non-drowsy Dramamine with breakfast works like a charm for me.

I PRAYED to not vomit during FOP. It was horrible for me and I have minimal motion sickness issues.

The only ride that I get motion sickness on is Star Tours. Soarin’, Mission Space, all the coasters, even Teacups don’t bother me. FoP made me queasy, similar to Star Tours, but not as bad, probably because it’s a smoother movement than ST.

One thing that really helps me is sucking on ginger candy during rides that make me queasy. Even when bonine doesn’t help, the ginger keeps the nausea mostly at bay.

My DD has trouble on Star Tours.

Turns out she also has trouble with FOP :worried:

We had 8 fastpasses booked and after flight #1 and her reaction to it I was so bummed. She was nauseous and we had to sit for a bit before she got her legs back. We learned she could handle the flight if she took a ginger pill about an hour prior and didn’t wear the 3D glasses. Handle it, but still not enjoy it. She’s a trooper that one.

I will probably get sick, but I need to try it once.
I can ride Soarin, but not Star Tours, Forbidden Journey. Most simulators do me in.
Hope it isn't too bad.

I think everyone will have different experiences, but my DH suffers from pretty bad motion sickness, and he was fine on FOP. He can't handle Star Tours more than once, but FOP was A-OK. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter