Food Poisoning Question

My friends stayed at AK last year and ate at their fancy restaurant (Boma, I think?) - within two hours of eating, the mom started retching, and had the worst couple of days imagineable. Obviously, they notified the hotel staff. I don't think they were really pleased with the results. In any event, they did not have a good Disney visit, and have given bad reviews to AKL to anyone asking about visiting Disney.

I once saw a kid sucking ice cream from the dispenser with his mouth at CP, chewed him and his Dad out! :( I could see you getting germs pretty easy at a buffet......although the food was very good! :)

:scared1: :eek: :scared1: What is WRONG with people??!

My friends stayed at AK last year and ate at their fancy restaurant (Boma, I think?) - within two hours of eating, the mom started retching, and had the worst couple of days imagineable. Obviously, they notified the hotel staff. I don't think they were really pleased with the results. In any event, they did not have a good Disney visit, and have given bad reviews to AKL to anyone asking about visiting Disney.
Unfortunately, you can't blame Disney if you can't prove it came from Disney.

Do you have a stool sample from a physician? That's what you will need to prove your case.

Yep. My dad was in restaurants for over 20 years, and I've heard it from him a bazillion times: unless you have a stool sample taken by a physician that proves that you got sick from said restaurant's food, they generally won't do anything for you.

With that said, I hope you feel better soon! Nothing is worse than feeling sick in Disney World. :sick:

Sorry you had to go through something awful like that. Most of the advice you have gotten here is fairly accurate. It would be really difficult to blame Disney for this, unless you had "evidence".

You know it is funny how people associate the last meal they had with an illness. When my parents were visiting, we all went to our local Chinese restaurant for dinner one night. Many had of us had the same thing, but when my Mom got sick that night is was because of the food. No one else got sick. Well, except for my Dad, who had been sick a few days before the dinner. He'd caught a virus from a friend at the golf course. :rotfl2:

Now I have had food posioning. It was the worst experencie in my life. I really thought I wasn't going to make it. I have never felt that way from a virus. I knew there was a possibility that I had been exposed to raw chicken. When a day had passed since the exposure, I thought I was in the clear. Found out later when I was sick as a dog that it can hit two days later.:scared1:

I was struck down the morning after I ate the Beefsteak Tomato with Spinach Appetizer last September at Le Cellier. That was our first night in the world and I was sick for several days afterwards. I didn't find out until we got home that there was a spinach contamination problem. I had even seen the Sysco trucks outside a couple of resort restaurants and put two and two together when I read the newspaper articles.
I was so sick that I caught a secondary infection and had a three week bout with antiobiotic resistant bacterial bronchitis. My docter said that I was really lucky to not have gotten any sicker from the spinach.
I noticed that they don't do the spinach with the beefsteak tomato anymore and now have added mozzarella. Believe me, I don't eat fresh spinach anymore!

I had dinner on Sunday night at The Crystal Palace and by Monday afternon I was as sick as a dog.

Who can I report this to?

Here I am Thursday night still not 100% yet.

Since you're not asking for a dispute whether you had food poisoning or not, I'll answer your original question. Call for a manager at CP at 407-824-6517 to let them know what you ate, what the symptoms were, and when you were there. Let them know if you felt they mishandled the food. After the call, write to disney @ Complaints Department / Walt Disney World Guest Communications / P.O. Box 10,040 / Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040 to let them know also.

We did this when I got food poisoning (yes real hospitalization, stomach pumping food poisoning from Capt'n Jacks) Nothing was ever done about it, but I felt better about letting them know, just so they'd be more careful with the other guests.

My son in law suffered from food poisoning from food he ate from a fair. It was actually proven by the methods others have talked about, plus others got sick too from the same food. He was in the hospital for 5 days and he wasn't effected until 3 days after he ate the food.

There are many factors which can contribute to how long it takes, how it effects some and not others, and how long it takes to overcome.

I will guarantee you they didn't get "systemically" ill from "Boma". I would be looking at what they had the meal or two before. These pathogens, such as Ecoli, Salmonella, etc. have to grow. It's really easy to blame it on the last place you ate due to the fact it is the "trigger" mechanism for the event. Now, if you said 8-24 hours before that's a different story... It's really a bum rap when a restaurant gets blamed for this and it's not true, been there and done that. We've had it happen to us several times over the years and each time the health department investigated it was traced to places they had eaten the day before. The only thing that will hit you that fast is chemical poisoning. Staph will hit you quickly but it's usually in the form of major cramping, etc.. and then it's over. And yes I teach food safety.

I truly hate it, for them and the restaurant, when someone blames "food poisoning" on wherever they last ate.

Good point from 2manypets.
Except that when you call, the first thing they will probably ask is "What did the doctor/hospital have to say"??

Hope all these cases of food poisoning in Disney are rare!! :eek:

Have just made all my ADR's and now I am freaking out about getting ill and spoiling our long awaited trip! Always assumed that Disney restaurants were among the best for hygiene, hope I am right!

Margaret :tinker:

Just curious. I think there's a perception that it's more common to get food poisoning from a buffet, rather than a seated meal. Is this perception true? Or are buffets needlessly getting a bad rap?

Unless it was reported that many were ill from the same place, eating the same thing, I would probably discount it as a bug picked up, or allergic reation.
I had food poisoning once, and it was from milk (breakfast from a fast food chain). Drank it in the morning. By evening I was going downhill fast and was deathly ill for days afterwards. Had I not been out of town I would have gone to the hospital. Luckily I was holed up in a hotel room anyway and was able to lay there and be weak and miserable all I wanted.
I knew it was food poisoning because it was all over the news in the midwest about milk at that time. The warnings came too late for me though. :sick:
Even recent mass food poisoning has been linked to tomatoes and spinich. Meat usually comes first to mind. But it seems it can be anything.

Marge8:
There is no evidence that this "incident" was food poisoning. It could have been a dozen other things.
Don't worry about it!!

As a food service professional I would like to add my two cents.

Food born illness is a serious subject which most people do not truly understand. Many people believe stories of "food poisoning" relayed to them from friends and family and take these accounts as gospel. Most instances of food related illness go unreported; many times the only instances reported are those times when some feel a restaurant is to blame and they think they can be compensated for the illness (cha ching $$$). Food born illness is more likely a result of food consumed at home rather than food consumed at a restaurant (this is a fact that can be verified by calling your local health dept. or taking a safety and sanitation class). Am I saying restaurants would never make a person sick, no, but when a restaurant spreads food born illness many people will be affected; not just one person. Sometimes people get sick, sometimes people eat out, but just because you get sick after eating out does not make the restaurant responsible. I do admit to the fact some restaurants have poor sanitation standards, but rest assured those places will not stay in business too long. If they have bad sanitation practices I would bet the food is of poor quality too and people have a hard time paying for bad food that makes them sick.

Like I said, just my two cents!!!

:thumbsup2

I had dinner on Sunday night at The Crystal Palace and by Monday afternon I was as sick as a dog.

Who can I report this to?

Here I am Thursday night still not 100% yet.

Let me tell you! I had food poisoning from peanut butter early this year. I had a sandwich for lunch about 12, and by 8pm I seriously thought I needed to go to the hospital! Mt DD also ate it. We were both so sick. I didnt know it was from that until about 1 week later and they had the recall on the peanut butter. It was the worst sickness ever!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter