Food Poisoning Question

Steve on LI

Earning My Ears
I had dinner on Sunday night at The Crystal Palace and by Monday afternon I was as sick as a dog.

Who can I report this to?

Here I am Thursday night still not 100% yet.

I didn't read the original poster but if you are looking to get some I would suggest Pizza Planet.

True food poisoning will take place within a few hours, if not immediately, after the food is consumed. In many cases, you should see a doctor or go to the ER.

You can get sick from food that you ate 3-4 days ago - strange, huh? There's no way to be sure that you got sick from the food at Crystal Palace. However, you can contact Disney and the Department of Health and give them a list of foods you consumed during the past week.

Your doctor would be a good choice. Doesn't sound like food poisoning though, as others have said it hits a lot faster than that and is usually gone very quickly too.

That's not always true--I remember reading a chart regarding all the different types of food poisoning and some of them don't hit until 12-24 hours after eating the food. Many of us associate food poisoning with the very last thing we ate when, in reality, it could have happened with the meal prior to that; i.e., you *think* your dinner made you sick because you got sick a few hours after eating; however it could have really been your lunch.

I once saw a kid sucking ice cream from the dispenser with his mouth at CP, chewed him and his Dad out! :( I could see you getting germs pretty easy at a buffet......although the food was very good! :)

Unfortunately, I know food poisoning first hand,
And YES, it was AWFUL beyond words, it HIT within a few hours, and they were able to track it to the food thru testing (no need to say further, do I?)
the PAIN and Side effects of the "getting sick" were UNBELIEVEABLE.
Anyway, FOR ME, I actually was hospitalized three days, hooked up to morphine and IV! Needless to say I know longer eat that type of food!!
It was NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE and honestly, handling chemo (A 2 year SURVIVOR HERE :banana: ) was not that far ahead of it!
This sounds more viral to me, (my sympathy goes to you though!!)

Hope you're feeling great really soon!

I got it from CM dinner...on my birthday! We ate at 5ish and by 9 I was as sick as a dog, praying for death. It took me a day and a half to feel back to normal.

Sounds like you probably managed to get Noro virus which is very common in such places and in travel in general.

Only a few very serious food borne illnesses will manifest themselves in such a short period. Most of these will require hospitalization. Most food borne illnesses can incubate for up to 4-6 days. If you were ever to be diagnosed with a serious food borne illnesses your doctors, in conjunction with the local health department would investigate your food intake for the previous 7 days. What most people tribute to food poisoning is about 90% of the time a touch of a stomach bug or flu. While I am not saying that you did not get food poisoning, it may have been something else.

The time frame could indicate staph food poisoning, which lasts for 2 or 3 days. It'd be hard to find the culprit at this point, though, as that food should already by out of your system. SFP is very commonly caused by bad eggs or dairy (milk, cream, and butter are often to blame), so are you sure it wasn't from breakfast or a morning snack? This would make more sense to me, as the heat could quickly make a pasty or the like an attractive target for bacteria.
If it is this, avoid spicy foods and don't drink alcohol or coffee for a few days (avoid dark sodas as well), that'll help you recover.
I don't want to discount the possibility that Disney might be to blame, but it might also be a skin-borne germ that is to blame. Again, a scorching summer day in Orlando means everyone's sweating and leaving their little friends everywhere.... doorknobs, queue railings, faucets, ride handles, whatever. Forgetting to wash just once before you eat could put them in your system, and depending on your immune system health, whammo....
I hope you feel better in time to enjoy the rest of your vacation, though....

I teach a food saftey course for restaurant managers. Most of the most common types of food poisoning take 12-48 hours to appear. You will also often be sick for a few days. This is not hard and fast, but a general rule.

From the CDC website:

"After they (microbes) are swallowed, there is a delay, called the incubation period, before the symptoms of illness begin. This delay may range from hours to days, depending on the organism, and on how many of them were swallowed."

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/foodborneinfections_g.htm

Usually, if a restaurant is serving something that is causing foodborne illness many people will suffer from the illness, not just one or two. This is often how outbreaks are traced back to the source - what did all the people consume in common?

For what it's worth, when I had food poisoning, it was a "different" kind of sick. It hit me suddenly (6 hours after eating). I was VERY ill for several days and still didn't feel normal for almost a week. I will NEVER forget that feeling. I was unlike any virus that I have ever had.:sad2:

Where else did you eat during the time you left CP? Who did you come in contact with? What did you do? Do you have a stool sample from a physician? That's what you will need to prove your case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter