Flying With Presents

katmigordon

DIS Veteran
So, let's say we want to take Christmas presents on our cruise - but to get to our cruise we have to take a flight...
Do we wrap them first? Wrap them on the ship? Take paper and borrow scissors? Gift Bags? What are the logistics?

TSA may have you unwrap gifts when you go through security if you are carrying them on. In your checked luggage, they may unwrap anything that is thought to be suspicious. Gift bags are probably the best bet, or bring paper and tape and a very small pair of scissors to wrap gifts after going through security. The same security could also want you to unwrap items before taking on the ship as well, so I would personally wait until I was on the ship.

Take paper and borrow scissors?
Scissors can fly in checked bags with no problem. If putting them in the carry-on, blades cannot be longer than 4" (from the pivot). I would pack unwrapped gifts, paper and/or gift bags, plus any related ribbons, tape, scissors, etc.

Gift bags with tissue paper would seem the easiest. I agree with others, don't try to take wrapped gifts through TSA at any airport. You might be asked to unwrapped them depending on how the contents shows during scanning. Gift bags fold flat and can be easily packed in your luggage.

I would leave any type of large toys/gifts at home and only bring smaller items that would easily fit in a gift bag. Regardless of what it is, you will eventually have to bring them back home, so smaller items that easily fit in your luggage seem like the best plan.

Scissors can fly in checked bags with no problem. If putting them in the carry-on, blades cannot be longer than 4" (from the pivot). I would pack unwrapped gifts, paper and/or gift bags, plus any related ribbons, tape, scissors, etc.
But will they let it on the ship? The have taken a 1" Swiss Army knife and scissors and held it until we returned at PC..

But will they let it on the ship? The have taken a 1" Swiss Army knife and scissors and held it until we returned at PC..
that seems like overkill!!- I brought my small scissors on board no problem- and a paring knife because we were at wdw before and I forgot it was in my bag. I guess I was lucky- or you were unlucky.

From DCL's What Items are Not Allowed List:

Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 7.02.34 AM.png
I personally have brought blunt edge scissors, what I'd consider "normal" scissors size
(not kids safety scissors size) on two cruises this year.

I made my daughter an advent calendar this year in brown paper bags. Because they were all packed into a single suitcase the x-ray did have some trouble and they ended up taking a few of the packages and x-raying them separately. I'll probably fly with mine wrapped and some extra tape just in case.

I've taken small scissors as part of a personal care kit (manicure-type kit), and that went through. But a normal pair of scissors for wrapping paper is unknown. Stick with gift bags and tissue paper.

Gift bags are a good idea but you could also cut the wrapping paper to the correct size before you leave home. Then you can leave the scissors at home and just bring the pre-cut wrapping paper and tape. In the early days after 9/11 when they were recommending getting to the airport way early, I saw a recommendation to pack the pre-cut wrapping paper and tape in your carry on and then you can kill time at the gate wrapping your presents. (wouldn't work if Disney security wanted them unwrapped as well).

Are you sure what amounts to a box cutter would be allowable?
I don't think I'd try to board a plane or ship with that. I travel with small sewing scissors (blade about 1" long).
I know you have some anxiety about everything going right, but I do hope you have an amazing time.

The blade is between two pieces of plastic and a cannot be used to cut anything other than paper. It is not a box cutter. You insert the paper between the to plastic layers and the blade will cut the paper. Here is a video using the same type of tool, go to the 1:25 min mark to see a side view and how it is used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter