Flying to Orlando - Pacemaker ?

Chattyaholic

~For years I wanted to be older, and now I am~ Mar
My Mom has a pacemaker and is a little concerned about going through the airport security. Will she have to go through the scanner? If she did walk through the scanner, would anything happen to her pacemaker? She plans to tell them right away, that she has a pacemaker (she carries a card in her wallet so can show them that), but I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone else has a pacemaker and what you do when you fly?

I have gone to the TSA website and they have posted the following at:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=0900051980068426

Persons with Pacemakers

It is recommended (but not a requirement) that individuals with a pacemaker carry a Pacemaker Identification Card (ID) when going through airport security.

It is recommended (but not required) that you advise the screener that you have an implanted pacemaker.

Show the screener your pacemaker ID, if you have one, and ask the screener to conduct a pat-down inspection of you rather than having you walk through the metal detector or be hand-wanded.

Their Disabilities Home Page is at:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=156

This can get you a lot more information

Cheshire Figment posted some really good links.
From what I have read, the scanner and the handheld wand are both magnetic devices, so might be a concern.
She should ask her own doctor to make sure she gets advice that applies to her, but here is a link to the Medtronic site. Medtronic is one of the largest manufacturers of pacemakers in the US, so it's pretty likely that her pacemaker is made by them (if her card is like the ones I have seen, it will say the manufacturer on it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter