Flying from Honolulu to Dallas?

Thank you all for all of your really helpful advice 👍

One more question if I may - how early do you all book your flights to HNL?

Looking at the seat plans for both flights (we are booking them separately as delta have good times from Seattle, and American is the only direct flight to Dallas and they don’t flight direct from Seattle), the availability is really open right now.

ive already booked my international legs as I got a really good price booking at the 11 month opening day, but the HNL internal flights don’t seem to be that cheap, and so I wondered whether you guys had some ‘insider info’ aa to the best times to book to get the best prices?! 😂👍

many thanks for any advice👍
Have you called a american (not the airline) travel agent? They are free and they may be able to give you a lot of insite maybe some freebies. Good thing American airlines main hub is DFW so there are a lot of times

Have you called a american (not the airline) travel agent? They are free and they may be able to give you a lot of insite maybe some freebies. Good thing American airlines main hub is DFW so there are a lot of times
Ooh good thinking! I have a us TA that I use to book my Disney cruises - maybe I should contact her! Never thought of that! Thank you for that 👍

When we checked in today, because our room wasn’t ready, our welcome packet had the Luana Lounge pass key already in the envelope. Last time I think we had to ask on arrival. At least now it’s automatic on check in!
That’s great service! 👍 hope you have a wonderful trip! 👍

Option 2. Plus it'll be on a widebody aircraft (777 or 787) on American Airlines. Depending on your class of service, it could be more comfortable than most narrow-bodied aircraft. Non-stop almost always beats a connection! It'll be a nice way to space out the trip before you head back to the UK.

Option 2. Plus it'll be on a widebody aircraft (777 or 787) on American Airlines. Depending on your class of service, it could be more comfortable than most narrow-bodied aircraft. Non-stop almost always beats a connection! It'll be a nice way to space out the trip before you head back to the UK.
Thank you for posting - I’m quite a nervous flyer so this is really helpful advice! Thank you 👍

Just wanted to say I love that you want to go to Southfork! I was an 80s child also and LOVED Dallas! We visited when I was in college and it was highlight for sure!!

No actual experience with either of those two options, but I'd go with the red-eye (option 2) any day. That avoids the additional overnight stay and preserves time in both Aulani and the DFW area.

No actual experience with either of those two options, but I'd go with the red-eye (option 2) any day. That avoids the additional overnight stay and preserves time in both Aulani and the DFW area.
Thank you 👍 yes I think everyone on here has persuaded me to go with the direct red eye flight - just hoping prices drop a little 🙂

We live in Dallas and went to Aulani 3 years ago. We most definitely took the red eye over night flight from HNL directly to DFW. I would NOT stop in LAX as it just invites delays! My daughters slept almost the entire flight, and yours should too since teens can sleep almost anywhere! We got main cabin extra seats on the flight, which are coach but give extra leg room. In retrospect, I wish we would have sprung for First Class because then at least I would have slept some on the way home! Next time, we will do that.

Traffic in Dallas can be bad any time of day for no apparent reason, but it is universally bad from about 7am-9:30am and 3pm-6:30pm. So try to avoid driving long stretches during those times if you can. Sometimes it is unavoidable, and you just have to gut it out. I use Google Maps (my husband uses Waze) for my traffic app, and it is very good in Dallas. I put in where I am heading and just follow the prompts. The time of travel estimates are usually spot on. The highways are well marked and not super confusing, but a few areas around downtown (where the Sixth Floor is) are a little confusing. Just follow google!

Getting out of DFW airport can be a little weird because everything exits to the left (the opposite of most roads in the US which exit to the right). For you from the UK, this may feel very natural, but it can be very confusing to the US driver who is not familiar with the set up.

If you are flying home from DFW to the UK or your next stop, be aware that security lines can be very long at DFW, especially early in the morning on the weekdays, due to heavy business travel. If you are in First Class, most security points have a Priority Lane, so look for that for sure. Not sure if you can get TSA precheck from the UK, but I am thinking not, but if so it can save time if you go to one of those check points.

Have fun seeing some iconic Texas things! South fork is fun for a one time visit, and the Stockyards in Fort Worth just scream Texas. The Perot museum is a great suggestion, and the Sixth Floor is very moving. If you like art, the DMA (and Nasher sculpture garden, walking distance) is wonderful. Klyde Warren deck park is right there too, also walking distance. The Dallas Aroboretum is a botanical garden (much much more than trees) if you are into that type of thing. You can kayak on White Rock Lake near the Arboretum (near where I live!). PM if you need restaurant suggestions, etc).

At Aulani, we did the pools the last day and left our bags at Guest Services, with a small bag of our change of clothes for the flight home. They gave us a card for the Lounge to change in, but note that it is VERY small and packed with folks waiting for rooms to be ready, and when we went, you only got to enter once, so it was not come and go. Must have your change of clothes and toiletries ready on your entry at the end of the pool day. Have a wonderful trip to Aulani!

Prices are not cheap to HNL and American knows they have the only direct flights from here. Even though DFW has tons of flights and airlines, on routes where AA is the only non-stop in town, they charge (and get) a premium. Dallas is not really known for low fares because AA has such a stranglehold on the non-stop routes and most of us are spoiled and will pay more for non-stop. I think coach is generally $800+ on AA. You can use flights dot google dot com to see the average flight prices for your time of year (but this average includes tons of flights with stop overs, so those tend to be cheaper and bring down the average price).

We live in Dallas and went to Aulani 3 years ago. We most definitely took the red eye over night flight from HNL directly to DFW. I would NOT stop in LAX as it just invites delays! My daughters slept almost the entire flight, and yours should too since teens can sleep almost anywhere! We got main cabin extra seats on the flight, which are coach but give extra leg room. In retrospect, I wish we would have sprung for First Class because then at least I would have slept some on the way home! Next time, we will do that.

Traffic in Dallas can be bad any time of day for no apparent reason, but it is universally bad from about 7am-9:30am and 3pm-6:30pm. So try to avoid driving long stretches during those times if you can. Sometimes it is unavoidable, and you just have to gut it out. I use Google Maps (my husband uses Waze) for my traffic app, and it is very good in Dallas. I put in where I am heading and just follow the prompts. The time of travel estimates are usually spot on. The highways are well marked and not super confusing, but a few areas around downtown (where the Sixth Floor is) are a little confusing. Just follow google!

Getting out of DFW airport can be a little weird because everything exits to the left (the opposite of most roads in the US which exit to the right). For you from the UK, this may feel very natural, but it can be very confusing to the US driver who is not familiar with the set up.

If you are flying home from DFW to the UK or your next stop, be aware that security lines can be very long at DFW, especially early in the morning on the weekdays, due to heavy business travel. If you are in First Class, most security points have a Priority Lane, so look for that for sure. Not sure if you can get TSA precheck from the UK, but I am thinking not, but if so it can save time if you go to one of those check points.

Have fun seeing some iconic Texas things! South fork is fun for a one time visit, and the Stockyards in Fort Worth just scream Texas. The Perot museum is a great suggestion, and the Sixth Floor is very moving. If you like art, the DMA (and Nasher sculpture garden, walking distance) is wonderful. Klyde Warren deck park is right there too, also walking distance. The Dallas Aroboretum is a botanical garden (much much more than trees) if you are into that type of thing. You can kayak on White Rock Lake near the Arboretum (near where I live!). PM if you need restaurant suggestions, etc).

At Aulani, we did the pools the last day and left our bags at Guest Services, with a small bag of our change of clothes for the flight home. They gave us a card for the Lounge to change in, but note that it is VERY small and packed with folks waiting for rooms to be ready, and when we went, you only got to enter once, so it was not come and go. Must have your change of clothes and toiletries ready on your entry at the end of the pool day. Have a wonderful trip to Aulani!
Thank you so very much for such a comprehensive post 👍

We’ve definitely decided on the direct flight, thanks to you and all the other posters on here. Thank you for the tips for driving around Dallas, they will prove invaluable I’m sure and we will be sure to use Google Maps to get about 👍

We already have our U.K. return flight booked from Austin (found a great deal a few months ago), so hopefully the traffic driving to Austin airport from San Antonio will be kind!

Im noting down all of these Dallas tips, and will try to fit as many things as possible - I’m glad the Stockyards will give me a feel of Texas - that was totally my reason for booking a trip there! 👍

We’ll be sure to pack a change of clothes bag for the flight and great tips about changing at Aulani - thank you so much x

Prices are not cheap to HNL and American knows they have the only direct flights from here. Even though DFW has tons of flights and airlines, on routes where AA is the only non-stop in town, they charge (and get) a premium. Dallas is not really known for low fares because AA has such a stranglehold on the non-stop routes and most of us are spoiled and will pay more for non-stop. I think coach is generally $800+ on AA. You can use flights dot google dot com to see the average flight prices for your time of year (but this average includes tons of flights with stop overs, so those tend to be cheaper and bring down the average price).
That’s actually really helped me today as I’ve been debating whether to book my direct AA flight, as I was unsure whether the price I’ve got is as good as it gets or not - and I think from what you’ve said, I’m probably not going to get much better ($744 per person for mid August/mid week direct night flight).
Thank you so much posting 👍

Also be aware the 777's that fly this route also have Premium Economy. If not familiar, it's similar to a domestic first class seat with upgraded meal/drink service. On that route I noticed the up-charge is only $120 per person. I would do that in a second!

Thank you so very much for such a comprehensive post 👍

We’ve definitely decided on the direct flight, thanks to you and all the other posters on here. Thank you for the tips for driving around Dallas, they will prove invaluable I’m sure and we will be sure to use Google Maps to get about 👍

We already have our U.K. return flight booked from Austin (found a great deal a few months ago), so hopefully the traffic driving to Austin airport from San Antonio will be kind!

Im noting down all of these Dallas tips, and will try to fit as many things as possible - I’m glad the Stockyards will give me a feel of Texas - that was totally my reason for booking a trip there! 👍

We’ll be sure to pack a change of clothes bag for the flight and great tips about changing at Aulani - thank you so much x
Austin should be declared a federal disaster area. LOL. The traffic there is always horrible. Either allow a lot of extra time or go east and take the toll road Hwy 130 to avoid it all. - its a pleasant drive thru the countryside too

Also be aware the 777's that fly this route also have Premium Economy. If not familiar, it's similar to a domestic first class seat with upgraded meal/drink service. On that route I noticed the up-charge is only $120 per person. I would do that in a second!
Thank you for that- that’s really helpful. So do you think the initial price of $747 ($867 prem economy) is worth grabbing now? X

Austin should be declared a federal disaster area. LOL. The traffic there is always horrible. Either allow a lot of extra time or go east and take the toll road Hwy 130 to avoid it all. - its a pleasant drive thru the countryside too
I’ll add that to my notes - will opt for the toll road then as we would sooner enjoy our last morning in San Antonio than in traffic I think! 🙂 thank you 👍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!