Flying Dutchman

Here's a photo I took on our Wonder cruise the week of 12/2:
IMG_3336.jpg

We were on the Nov. 14th 4day Bahamas cruise. I had not known about the Flying Dutchman. At dinner the night after Castaway Cay, this came up in discussion. Apparently, it is (was?) not owned by Disney, but a private individual. It's age was showing and the owner chose to have it dismantled and removed.

- Dreams

DCL had to buy it off of Disney Productions who were going to scrap it. When DCL bought it they were warned that it was just a set/prop and may not handle well sitting out in the open sea. They were also told that they would be 100% responsible for anything that happened to it.

for anyone from New England, it's like hearing that the Old Man in the Mountain fell off the mountain... :sad2:

We were on the Nov. 14th 4day Bahamas cruise. I had not known about the Flying Dutchman. At dinner the night after Castaway Cay, this came up in discussion. Apparently, it is (was?) not owned by Disney, but a private individual. It's age was showing and the owner chose to have it dismantled and removed.

- Dreams

It is, of course owned by Disney. It was made for a Disney movie, and lived out it's days as a photo op on Castaway. There are many divisions of Disney, so yes, to bring it to Castaway Cay there was some internal money shuffling. You could always tell that the back wasn't "finished." It was made to be photographed from certain angles only for film purposes. And, over the years, the deterioration became more obvious.

Look at all the work that goes into keeping the exterior of the Magic "ship shape." Basically every time we are in port, they are painting, removing rust, etc. The stage prop was stuck in salt water with no maintenance. I'm just glad we had many years to enjoy it.

I am going to post something that is not going to very popular. I am thriled it is gone, and I never wanted it there to begin with. It is a prop from what I concider to be one of, if not the worst movie in history. I hope DCL goes in a new direction, but with the 4th movie coming out I doubt that will happen. I am sure by may something will be back. Only time will tell.

I am going to post something that is not going to very popular. I am thriled it is gone, and I never wanted it there to begin with. It is a prop from what I concider to be one of, if not the worst movie in history. I hope DCL goes in a new direction, but with the 4th movie coming out I doubt that will happen. I am sure by may something will be back. Only time will tell.

Ever heard of Blazing Saddles????? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

My wife and I went on the Nov 14th cruise on the Wonder.
I took a couple pictures of the ship being dismantled. Here's one:

DSC_0235.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter