Flying Dutchman

Due to deteriorating conditions it was torn down and is now in pieces at the end of the dock, you can still see the plain hull on the other side of the dock. Apparently she was listing bad and was not in good shape.

Jim

they demolished it in over a 10000 pieces. i was at castaway cay 3 times in november. nov 9 it was there. nov 14 it was moved and being demolished. nov 19 it was completly gone.

Due to deteriorating conditions it was torn down and is now in pieces at the end of the dock, you can still see the plain hull on the other side of the dock. Apparently she was listing bad and was not in good shape.

Jim

I also saw the hull on the other side of the dock when we were at Castaway Cay on December 17th. It is identifiable as the Flying Dutchman, but barely.

I also saw the hull on the other side of the dock when we were at Castaway Cay on December 17th. It is identifiable as the Flying Dutchman, but barely.

Yup, I saw it too on my Thanksgiving cruise. The mast was lying in the sand opposite our docked ship. Kinda sad... :(

So sad! I was looking forward to my son seeing it. He's only 4 but is a HUGE POTC fan! Oh well, he never even knew it was there so he wont miss it.

Three weeks ago we were on Oahu and visited the DVC Aulani resort (under construction). The Black Pearl is in the harbor.

disaster2010.Black_Pearl19.jpg

Woody

Awwww.......I was hoping it would appear at Castaway Cay towards the end of January! Doesn't look as though it's going anywhere soon... :sad2:

Way cool Woody! :) Wonder if they are filming the Pirate movie there in Hawaii?

Way cool Woody! Wonder if they are filming the Pirate movie there in Hawaii?
They finished filming portions of the movie at Kailua Bay, Oahu. Our friends who live there said Johnny Depp was very gracious as he met with locals and signed autographs.

Woody

We heard on our cruise (12/2) that it would be coming back to Castaway Cay after filming, they are going to make a whole pirate themed area.

We were on the Nov. 14th 4day Bahamas cruise. I had not known about the Flying Dutchman. At dinner the night after Castaway Cay, this came up in discussion. Apparently, it is (was?) not owned by Disney, but a private individual. It's age was showing and the owner chose to have it dismantled and removed.

- Dreams

We were on the Nov. 14th 4day Bahamas cruise. I had not known about the Flying Dutchman. At dinner the night after Castaway Cay, this came up in discussion. Apparently, it is (was?) not owned by Disney, but a private individual. It's age was showing and the owner chose to have it dismantled and removed.

- Dreams

No Disney owns it!

- Dreams

no way disney defintely owns it

What was the Pearl, and is now in Hi, is/was owned by someone other then Disney. It was modified to look like the Pearl, then modified again for the latest Pirate movie as Blackbeards ship. Its no longer the Pearl. It also wasnt a true sailing ship. It was modified and had 2 engines to power it. This is from a HI magazine:

"The Black Pearl that’s here for On Stranger Tides isn’t actually a real sailing ship. It’s a tall ship set constructed over the hull of another vessel, the Sunset, which once earned its keep as a service ship for Gulf of Mexico oil platforms. Fully motorized—and obviously able to handle its recent journey across the Pacific from California to Hawaii like a champ—the ship set was also used in the second and third Pirates flicks Dead Man’s Chest and At World’s End"

The Dutchman, was built by the studios for the movies on a barge. It was in storage in Freeport when Tom McAlpin found it, and had it moved to CC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter