Florida Visitor Toll Pass

Looks like a good option for those who fly to MCO and rent a car but not if you drive your own car. Many years ago we bought the Sunpass and it’s easy to add a rental car to our account if we ever need to.

Looks like a good option for those who fly to MCO and rent a car but not if you drive your own car. Many years ago we bought the Sunpass and it’s easy to add a rental car to our account if we ever need to.
We are first time snowbirds, heading down in a few weeks. We will mostly be at Disney but are travelling to Miami and Fort Lauderdale for cruises and maybe driving down to Key West. Is it worth it to get the Sun Pass? Is it easy to use as a Canadian?
Thanks,
Tony

We are first time snowbirds, heading down in a few weeks. We will mostly be at Disney but are travelling to Miami and Fort Lauderdale for cruises and maybe driving down to Key West. Is it worth it to get the Sun Pass? Is it easy to use as a Canadian?
Thanks,
Tony

Very easy. We first bought Sunpass for convenience when staying in St Pete Beach not necessity since there's a Toll Plaza there. We bought the temporary transponder (plastic one with suction cup not sticker) at CVS or Walgreen and 24h after we set up our account online it was active. In July we saw a sign at the I-95 Florida Welcome Centre that advertise they were selling the transponder there and they were active right away. Might be worth checking it out.

Sunpass is not mandatory but it saved us hours of driving, especially between Ft Lauderdale where my parents own a condo and Orlando. FL turnpike is much faster to go to Orlando (or Ft Lauderdale/Miami from Orlando) compared to I-95/I4 and a Sunpass is mandatory to take it. My uncle went on it without a Sunpass and paid a very expensive fine. I also have mine on auto-renew so when my balance gets down to 10$ it adds an additional 10$ automatically so I know I always have enough money to pay the tolls without carrying tons of change. I also like that you can have multiple license plates on your Sunpass account. You can easily access your account online or can use their app on your smartphone (I have an iPhone). Finally, Sunpass is accepted at all tolls in Florida, including E-Pass tolls that are different than EZ-Pass that you will see everywhere else in the USA. There's many tolls around Orlando and we often use them to avoid I-4 as much as possible. We HATE I-4 and have seen so many accidents on it that we try to avoid it. Too many tourists that don't know where they are going mixed with crazy Floridian drivers.

Very easy. We first bought Sunpass for convenience when staying in St Pete Beach not necessity since there's a Toll Plaza there. We bought the temporary transponder (plastic one with suction cup not sticker) at CVS or Walgreen and 24h after we set up our account online it was active. In July we saw a sign at the I-95 Florida Welcome Centre that advertise they were selling the transponder there and they were active right away. Might be worth checking it out.

Sunpass is not mandatory but it saved us hours of driving, especially between Ft Lauderdale where my parents own a condo and Orlando. FL turnpike is much faster to go to Orlando (or Ft Lauderdale/Miami from Orlando) compared to I-95/I4 and a Sunpass is mandatory to take it. My uncle went on it without a Sunpass and paid a very expensive fine. I also have mine on auto-renew so when my balance gets down to 10$ it adds an additional 10$ automatically so I know I always have enough money to pay the tolls without carrying tons of change. I also like that you can have multiple license plates on your Sunpass account. You can easily access your account online or can use their app on your smartphone (I have an iPhone). Finally, Sunpass is accepted at all tolls in Florida, including E-Pass tolls that are different than EZ-Pass that you will see everywhere else in the USA. There's many tolls around Orlando and we often use them to avoid I-4 as much as possible. We HATE I-4 and have seen so many accidents on it that we try to avoid it. Too many tourists that don't know where they are going mixed with crazy Floridian drivers.
Thanks for the quick response. I was going to buy it online, but maybe we'll just pick it up on I-75 Welcome Centre. We have friends that say the best way from Kissimmee area to Fort Lauderdale/Miami is US-27 through the middle of Florida, very little traffic. Any thoughts?
Tony

I apologize if this has already been posted, but it's new to me :-)

Looks like a better and cheaper option may be coming to pay tolls for visitors to Florida using a rental car. See the link below:

https://visitortollpass.com
I used this in July and September. It is very easy to find the desks, which are opposite the rental desks and just as you enter the garage. You can ore book it, collect it and just hand it in the rental car. Returning the car you just drop it in the boxes, which are scattered around and a few days later you get the bill, which is automatically debited to your cc. Very easy.

Thanks for the quick response. I was going to buy it online, but maybe we'll just pick it up on I-75 Welcome Centre. We have friends that say the best way from Kissimmee area to Fort Lauderdale/Miami is US-27 through the middle of Florida, very little traffic. Any thoughts?
Tony

Took that route once. Never again! Seemed to take forever. Little traffic but when you do a Google map for Ft Lauderdale to Orlando it doesn’t even come up as an option.

Thanks for the info! Now I wish we were doing our rental at the airport instead of the Dolphin. Hopefully they will expand this program.

Thanks for the info! Now I wish we were doing our rental at the airport instead of the Dolphin. Hopefully they will expand this program.

I wonder if you can still reserve it, pick it up on your arrival at MCO and then drop off on your departure. They do not say anything about coordinating with a rental company.

I wonder if you can still reserve it, pick it up on your arrival at MCO and then drop off on your departure. They do not say anything about coordinating with a rental company.
That’s a good thought! I’ll check into that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!