Florida Special ADA Grab Rail Question

Pineappley

Mouseketeer
Hi All, My parents are booked in a Florida Special ADA Compliant room at POR. That was the only accessible room available even though we booked nearly a year out.

My mum can walk very short distances by herself with the aid of walking sticks or a walker but would not be confined to a wheelchair/ECV in the resort room.

When booking the room I remember them telling me about grab rails in the bathroom but on the description of the room on the Disney site it only mentions rails for the toilet - it does not mention them for the bathtub.

1) Can anyone confirm whether the ADA rooms have grab rails by the bathtub?

2) It would be really good for her to have a shower stool available for in the bathtub. Are these generally available for request at the resort?

3) My mum uses a bed grab rail at home to assist her getting into and out of bed so she doesn't have to wake my dad in the night. It's the type that slots under the mattress with legs on the floor - not the type that stops a child falling out of a bed. Does anyone know of these are available at the resort?

We're travelling from the UK so bring our own isn't an option really. Both the items in my 2nd and 3rd points can be bought on Amazon but I don't want to buy them unnecessarily only to discard them when we check out.

Thanks for any help. :tink:

1) Can anyone confirm whether the ADA rooms have grab rails by the bathtub?

Yes, grab handrails on the bathtub walls and grab handrails on the toilet walls.

2) It would be really good for her to have a shower stool available for in the bathtub. Are these generally available for request at the resort?

Yes. Every resort may be a little different, but at Pop Century Resort they always gave me a plastic chair with a seat and back and adjustable metal legs.

3) My mum uses a bed grab rail at home to assist her getting into and out of bed so she doesn't have to wake my dad in the night. It's the type that slots under the mattress with legs on the floor - not the type that stops a child falling out of a bed. Does anyone know of these are available at the resort?

No, you would have to rent them from an offsite medical rental agency.

Yes, grab handrails on the bathtub walls and grab handrails on the toilet walls.

Yes. Every resort may be a little different, but at Pop Century Resort they always gave me a plastic chair with a seat and back and adjustable metal legs.

No, you would have to rent them from an offsite medical rental agency.
Thanks so much for your reply. I will look into renting the bed rail along with the ECV.

Thanks so much for your reply. I will look into renting the bed rail along with the ECV.
Start with OrlandoMedicalRentals.com. While I know Gold Mobility is the gold standard here :), OMR has and rents much more medical equipment than anybody else in the area. Also, she could consider repositioning a chairback to be next to the bed, for similar assistance.

Start with OrlandoMedicalRentals.com. While I know Gold Mobility is the gold standard here :), OMR has and rents much more medical equipment than anybody else in the area. Also, she could consider repositioning a chairback to be next to the bed, for similar assistance.
Great minds think alike! I’d suggested the chair back too!

Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter