Florida building a bunch of new RV sites

We live in Virginia and will be retiring in 5 years or so....
We loved our time in VA with the Air Force. Beautiful state and all that history to see and explore, if it isn't all canceled by now.
Will you be staying in VA and travel from there? The tax burden in VA was one of the few things we didn't care for, but I know relocating is challenging and expensive. Relocating to one of the tax free states is becoming more popular.

....I've been seeing ads and articles about RV lots for sale in gated communities and/or campgrounds....
Were you thinking semi-permanent location here in FL? As you get closer to retirement, take a trip down here to check out a few locations, but do your homework first. Anchoring in one location (that you own) for your snowbird season is like having that 2nd home in the mountains or at the beach. I like the idea of having your home on wheels (as Don says) down here. When the hurricane shows up you can pull up stakes and move out of harms way. Good luck in the next stage of your life!

Interesting topic and tangents here.

1) The place where I store my trailer is completely filled. I spoke with the owner since we are going seasonal. He said in the past he would work with you when seasonal but not anymore. Stop paying? You better pull out since he has at least 50 people on the waiting list for a spot! Due to demand, they are converting from a valet style parking to self parking. He said he is going to try to keep the guys who know what they are doing near one another.

2) During the previous conversation with the ownership, he was saying about the demand of RVing. According to his sources, the local RV market soared big time. I want to say around 600 percent to that effect. Same thing with boats. He is a boater . Him and his son hit up a large local lake in the area pretty much every weekend. They both said the number of boaters are through the roof. Coves, docks, main sections of the lake all packed. His son said there are people out there riding around in $100,000+ boats with no clue how to operate them.

3) Last year I got to to experience so many new RVers. I lost count of how many " first or secont trip" lines. I have helped a few along the way. This past weekend, we started our camping season. Both sides of our trailer were large 5ers. The right side was an older couple who were on their 2nd trip and lived about an hour away. The left side was a family of 6. Just bought the RV and 3rd trip out. They had 50 nights already booked going into this season. They too lived about an hour away. When they asked me if this was my first time I said yeah... this year. The father laughed. The mother was saying they were thinking about going down Disney for the fort but the one daughter doesn't like being in the vehicle for long. They asked me how long I've been camping, I said all my life. The 5er was a monster of rig too. The older couple was I think semi retired. He was saying they never thought about going RVing since he was in the military. As he put it he spend enough time "camping" himself. I gave them both a few hints on set up and break down. When we came back on Sunday afternoon, they were gone.

I just saw a video on an RV resort in AZ that was popular. They were bulldozing the place in favor of covered storage because that's where the money was. I still don't think this RV bubble is going to last.

We bought our mini in late 2015, and at that time Nucamp/Little Guy was just starting to show up on our RV purveyor's lot. Over the course of the last few years prior to 2020, there would be (at a guess) 10 +/- minis of various sizes in the front lot.

As of last summer, they started dwindling until a few weeks ago I noticed there was only one mini in the front of the lot. The rest were Tab and larger sized, as well as more Airstreams, etc. I agree that that the particular bubble of larger/more expensive RV's will burst, but --and just a sneaking suspicion here--I think people who basically like camping/RV'ing won't give it up altogether, but they might just pare down the size of RV and the cost of upkeep it entails, and the bother of needing a larger tow vehicle especially if they don't use said TV on a regular basis.

Even when they start getting the $200 a premium site, regularly? What happens when those folks, who stay at the Fort, end up staying in the dreaded world outside the bubble at one of these new campgrounds. 💲goes someplace else far more easily.
The reality is that there is no sites in the dreaded world outside, except during the off season May-ish to October-ish, and even they are filling up. prices are going up too. I just visited a brand new RV resort near me which is within 40 minutes of Disney. They are charging Disney prices on and off season and they are full.

The reality is that there is no sites in the dreaded world outside

That would be why they are building more.

Reading some interesting articles on rv site availability as a whole, considering the new explosion in RV demand. Some articles are showing 6,000 to 7,000 new RV sites for Florida

Expand or there is a risk of losing them outside the bubble. Those 6 or 7000 sites are not going to lower the price of the Fort. (unfortunately). It may upset the supply and demand of sites a bit outside the bubble.

We bought our mini in late 2015, and at that time Nucamp/Little Guy was just starting to show up on our RV purveyor's lot. Over the course of the last few years prior to 2020, there would be (at a guess) 10 +/- minis of various sizes in the front lot.

As of last summer, they started dwindling until a few weeks ago I noticed there was only one mini in the front of the lot. The rest were Tab and larger sized, as well as more Airstreams, etc. I agree that that the particular bubble of larger/more expensive RV's will burst, but --and just a sneaking suspicion here--I think people who basically like camping/RV'ing won't give it up altogether, but they might just pare down the size of RV and the cost of upkeep it entails, and the bother of needing a larger tow vehicle especially if they don't use said TV on a regular basis.
I will agree with that.

I'll keep my eyes out for one of those "covid is over deals" if we decide to sell our Hybrid. We got it last February and yup we could sell it for more than we bought it for. Texas is building a new State Park, which we are excited for- but I am not sure about any other campgrounds.
I'm noticing price increases. One of our favorite state park campgrounds raised the rates by just a few dollars. I can't remember if it was Stephen F. Austin or Blanco; we like them both. We will still go there, but I remember thinking, "Well, darn it!" Supply and demand.

All these greenhorns...God bless them.

And those of us trying to help them.
I sure am grateful to those on here that graciously taught me that my crooked camper photo I posted meant I need to check level side to side- we had no clue and wondered why we felt so wonky walking around inside haha. Thanks @bama_ed

I'm noticing price increases. One of our favorite state park campgrounds raised the rates by just a few dollars. I can't remember if it was Stephen F. Austin or Blanco; we like them both. We will still go there, but I remember thinking, "Well, darn it!" Supply and demand.

I noticed that too! We love Potter's Creek Park and the sites are now $30 a night- up from $20 last year.

Saw some more protections today. This dealing with RV pricing. Forest River / Thor protections are that MFG cost of RVs after June 1st likely increase 3-7%. Presumably trickle effect from supply costs.

I noticed that too! We love Potter's Creek Park and the sites are now $30 a night- up from $20 last year.

Wow! That's a significant jump! I checked tpwd's website today, and it was Stephen F. Austin SP that had the increase in fees. And it STAYS booked on weekends. It's not far from Houston's western suburbs, so it's a popular weekend getaway. We plan to take my daughter's GS troop there, but we're finding it hard to get a reservation since we would have to make one so far in advance.

Saw some more protections today. This dealing with RV pricing. Forest River / Thor protections are that MFG cost of RVs after June 1st likely increase 3-7%. Presumably trickle effect from supply costs.

It's pulling the used camper market prices up as well, tiggerdad.

I put my 2014 Aliner Expedition through the NADA "what's it worth" pricing tool and it's worth $1,000 MORE now (average retail price) than what I paid for it. Granted, it didn't cost as much as full size travel trailers even when it was new but the fact that it has held/slighly increased its value surprised me. I would have predicted a slight drop in value.

And you can hardly find any used Aliners of any model from that time period on rvtrader.com to ballpark that against because there simply aren't any. New and recently new models have a few listed.

Last edited:
It's pulling the used camper market prices up as well, tiggerdad.
I just experienced this when I traded my truck and 5er. They gave me as a trade in price what I paid retail for the truck last year. I essentially drove the truck free for almost a year. They gave me well above NADA for the 5er. I figured they would try to get it back on the coach price, but I essentially paid "market" (NADA) price for the coach. I was fine with that given the very low miles and the condition. It has obviously been stored indoors its entire life. Half of the basements have never had anything in them.

The coach was also a bit unusual in that it wasn't directly for sale from the dealer, but more of a consignment. The coach was owned by the uncle of the dealership owner. He had bought it new from his nephew and asked him to "help" sell it. I was dealing directly with the dealership owner and several times he stepped out to go over my offer with his uncle before we agreed to a deal.

j

The coach was also a bit unusual in that it wasn't directly for sale from the dealer, but more of a consignment. The coach was owned by the uncle of the dealership owner. He had bought it new from his nephew and asked him to "help" sell it. I was dealing directly with the dealership owner and several times he stepped out to go over my offer with his uncle before we agreed to a deal.

j
My coach was about the same story Jim except it belonged to the owner of the dealership. He had died from pancreatic cancer two years before. He had owned the coach about a year and a half before he died. The wife didn't want it. In fact, she didn't want him to buy it to begin with. The kids (ok, 30's and early 40's but I call everyone 20 years younger than me "kids") both had 5ers and didn't want the coach either. They had it kinda on the side of the lot away from the cars with a sale sign on the windshield. It had been garage kept all it's life but nobody wanted it. When I got around there they had just dropped the price $67k. I started doing some research and their asking price was very fair, even for a car dealership. The rest is history.

Has anyone considered and/or has bought a campground site at one of the resorts near Disney or elsewhere in Florida? Would this be a viable option for potential snowbirds once we retire?

Has anyone considered and/or has bought a campground site at one of the resorts near Disney or elsewhere in Florida? Would this be a viable option for potential snowbirds once we retire?
We bought a lot, then built our house in an RV community that just happens to be near WDW although that wasn't the reason we bought there. When you say "campground" I think of a KOA or something. There are places around that they call "resorts" or by some other name. They're more like developments with amenities for the owners. They are pad sites with water, sewer and electric. You build what type of on comforts on your site you want like outdoor kitchens or a casita. Typically they aren't inexpensive and once the site is owned, it can be rented out. These sites aren't normally designed for tent use. Not sure if that helps at all or answered your question.

There's an upscale, Class A only resort in Polk City, about 25 miles SW of Disney right off of I-4; I actually wasn't all that impressed with it, but it looks like it's still under development.

Last edited:
There's an upscale, Class A only resort in Polk City, about 25 miles SW of Disney right off of I-4; I actually wasn't all that impressed with it, but it looks like it's still under development.
Where was this located? There's a couple off of 4. Do you remember the name?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!