Florida building a bunch of new RV sites

I'm not sure that mishap is limited to 1st time campers. I recall a thread on here about our own mis-adventures. I remember telling the story of nearly having a black tank geyser from hooking the water up to the black tank flush by accident. Someone else chimed in and telling about their actual Mt. Vepoopius.

j
Ah yes, but to a "quick draw" camper it'll likely be a first and final nail in the coffin. ⚰

.........Someone else chimed in and telling about their actual Mt. Vepoopius.

j
At least you can "see" black water leaks/squirts and clean up the mess. The ones I hate are electrical problems. You can't see them little electrons leaking out until they fry your electrics, and Lord knows this generation is addicted to high tech and electrical things, me included. The first faulty pedestal or lightning strike will dissuade many I suspect.

MudQueen,

I wouldn't consider you one of the "newbies". From what I have been reading, the sudden popularity is due to Covid. There is probably also some pent up demand for regular RVers that cancelled most things last year, but that would be short lived once we start to get our camping fix again. Many of the articles I've read are focusing on the trendy side of the increase and try to say that "most" people that got into RVing due to the pandemic will stay in. I don't think so. As Stratman said, RVing isn't necessarily cheaper or easier than flying and a hotel. Once the pandemic resides, many people will come to that same conclusion. Some will stay, but I doubt most will. At that point the "trendiness" will reside and we can all get reservations again.

j

And RVing is not going to get cheaper this year with fuel prices on the rise. Some of the new campers are in for serious shock as fuel prices continue to rise. They will be looking to get back to flying and hotels.
And yes, once they start having to replace tires, have a blowout, even general maintenance, many will realize it is a lot of work to RV. Those covid campers will be looking to hotels again and looking to sell.

As soon as the "trendy" and COVID campers have to do their first warranty claim, they're gonna be OUT!
Even before covid, I recall it having become trendy when we were finally able to buy our camper. I was talking to a lady on one of our first camping trips, and she actually told me they bought a camper "because everyone else is doing it." My jaw sort of dropped. I recall thinking, "So I have to make my rezzie for this state park months in advance because it's trendy? That $25/night campsite is now trendy? Oh dear."

Hopefully Turks & Caicos or Hawaii will become trendy again for such people, and the rest of us can book a campsite where we genuinely want to vacation.

And RVing is not going to get cheaper this year with fuel prices on the rise. Some of the new campers are in for serious shock as fuel prices continue to rise. They will be looking to get back to flying and hotels.
And yes, once they start having to replace tires, have a blowout, even general maintenance, many will realize it is a lot of work to RV. Those covid campers will be looking to hotels again and looking to sell.
You're definitely onto something there. We are three years in, and I'm surprised at how much of a dent it puts in our budget. We did lots of research for a good year prior to writing the check so it wasn't as much of a sticker shock, but most people don't do their homework. Fortunately, we paid cash for our camper, but the storage fees (necessary since we can't fit it on the side of our house), insurance, and maintenance add up quite a bit. A tube of dicor here, repacking bearings, repairing split wood, etc. It does add up. And as you mentioned--tires! We all know decent tires aren't cheap, and most of us know better than to buy cheap tires.

Yeah I know two people who are wanting to buy campers but prices and availability are too bad right now so they are waiting for the post covid resales to happen.

We have a new campground being built by us and I'm super excited for it. It is going to be right by King's Island, which we have seasons passes to. Looks like it will be quite "trendy." Going to have a fancy food truck, two restaurants, two pools, one of which is adult only, and a bar!

Even if an RV does not turn out to be the right fit for someone, It will generally end up in the hands of someone who really does want it. The fact is that there are more Rvs out there.

The last expansion of campsites consisted of getting rid of a loop of cabin and converting to a full loop.

Disney is missing out on what will probably be a long term trend.

Yeah I know two people who are wanting to buy campers but prices and availability are too bad right now so they are waiting for the post covid resales to happen.

We have a new campground being built by us and I'm super excited for it. It is going to be right by King's Island, which we have seasons passes to. Looks like it will be quite "trendy." Going to have a fancy food truck, two restaurants, two pools, one of which is adult only, and a bar!
Is that the Kings Island in OH? That would be closer to my Sister’s in Maineville. Do you have a name or location yet?

@tiggerdad and @Teamubr Agree with you guys. Been thinking this since the beginning. RVs sound like a great thing until you actually start doing it. They require constant maintenance that hopefully you can do some of yourself. That isn't cheap. There's setup and breakdown, second nature to a lot of us but surely not for the people who are used to carrying their bags into a hotel. Packing and unpacking is still required. You can eat out while camping, but most prepare their meals in house, at least some of the time. It's work. Work that we enjoy but not for everyone. I bet we see a real glut in the used RV market in a year or so.
Yes our niece, an avid WDW fan, says she will not be camping at The Fort or staying in a cabin because when she's on vacation, she's not cooking LOL. They love their investment in the Dining Plan each trip.

Yes our niece, an avid WDW fan, says she will not be camping at The Fort or staying in a cabin because when she's on vacation, she's not cooking LOL. They love their investment in the Dining Plan each trip.
I've heard this more times than I can remember.

Is that the Kings Island in OH? That would be closer to my Sister’s in Maineville. Do you have a name or location yet?

Yes the King's Island in Mason OH near Cincinnati. The new campground is called Camp Cedar, they have a website up with all the info about the campground but booking isn't open yet, supposed to open this summer but they haven't announced exactly when yet. Website is www.visitcampcedar.com

Here is how close you can get at Camping on the Gulf in Destin..

BFsite2016small-1.jpg

MHbeach2016hazy-1.jpg

j

Yes the King's Island in Mason OH near Cincinnati. The new campground is called Camp Cedar, they have a website up with all the info about the campground but booking isn't open yet, supposed to open this summer but they haven't announced exactly when yet. Website is www.visitcampcedar.com
Thank you ruthies12 for the info. I'll check them out, for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!