Flooded POTC boats

I personally didn't notice people start to complain about water on Pirates until the refurb was announced and speculation started, though that may have just been a side-effect of frequency illusion. I do believe that something they did to the drop has made the splashing more problematic than before.
I thought people started to get soaked last year when they stopped allowing people to use the back row of the boat (because someone lost their finger) and because of this, the boat was too heavily weighted at the front.

I know we got soaked several times last year riding it. And nobody was in the last row.

I thought people started to get soaked last year when they stopped allowing people to use the back row of the boat (because someone lost their finger) and because of this, the boat was too heavily weighted at the front.

I know we got soaked several times last year riding it. And nobody was in the last row.

It's possible. Like I said, I didn't notice it until the refurb was announced - but I also wasn't listening for it.

I never got splashed on the drop, but I did almost lose my sunglasses more than once. And I'm pretty sure I've been in the back row, but it's not something I've made a point to remember. I didn't experience WDWs version until February (I did ride it at least once a week in the months leading up the the refurb), so these new boats (which look to have been put in sometime in 2013) are the only ones I've known out here.

We rode Pirates several times on our last trip and I remember getting soaked every time we rode. The first time, it came as quite a surprise to us, so we figured it was a fluke, but after the third time we were more than a little annoyed. But alas...it is my dad's favorite ride and it's Disney, so everything just needs to be taken with a little bit of humor.

This is very disappointing! It's a family favorite, but we are also going in December and will not want to get soaked. Since there are 10 of us, someone will be near the front and bound to get wet. Maybe we should cancel our FP's. :(

Silly question, but will a poncho help? Is there a way to keep my shoes dry? We're going in November and the thought of being soaked doesn't appeal to me.

I am doing a whole pirate morning for my son, including the ride and pirates league, etc. Definitely putting the kids in flip flops before the ride just in case. What a pain. Has anyone had success asking to be in the back or waiting for another boat if the one that comes is full of water?

I was hoping that this issue was addressed during the refurb, but I guess not. I have a FP+ booked for November and I'll probably cancel it as I have no desire to get wet!

I am doing a whole pirate morning for my son, including the ride and pirates league, etc. Definitely putting the kids in flip flops before the ride just in case. What a pain. Has anyone had success asking to be in the back or waiting for another boat if the one that comes is full of water?
I am doing the same thing for DD. So we kind of need to do the ride.... Anxious to see what we can do to avoid being drenched!

I think what is worse than getting splashed is the standing water in the boat. That is so gross. We always were sneakers and if we have to place our feet in a few inches of water, that is very uncomfortable. Then you have to hold all your belongings on your lap? Sounds awkward, riding with wet feet and clutching your backpack. I would ask to wait for a dry boat.

We rode October 22nd. We are a party of 3 adults. We were in the second row. They packed 5 - 3 large adults and 2 children - in the front row. We got soaked. I was shocked. And there was a good 2 - 3 inches of water on the floor. It took hours to dry. I was just glad I had on sandals and not my sneakers that day.

This issue has been around for a while, I believe before the refurb was announced. But then I think people started saying hopefully they will fix the water problem in the refurb. Which it seems they didn't.

From what I understand, it's pretty basic, they are putting too much weight in the boats and they could solve it by putting less people in the boat.

Last time we were on it, we asked for a middle row and we all stayed dry. I don't know about getting into a boat that has standing water in it. I think I would ask to wait for the next one depending on how much was in there.

What a shame they can't fix this problem, it's not rocket science.

The first CM we spoke to about our experience told us that POTC is "a wet ride." Sorry, my dear: Splash Mountain is a "wet ride," POTC is not. That's when we asked to speak to a manager.

That's ridiculous! I've been on this ride many times as well. Before Splash Mountain I was always upset that POTC didn't get you wet because we would be there in July or August. Being wet would have been nice. It is NOT a wet ride. It is a boat ride. Next thing you know they will add a waterfall in It's a Small World to get you wet as well...

We asked for row six and were initially placed in that row (I'm tall and don't like to sit in the other rows because I'll block the view of some of the folks, especially small in size, behind me); however, once we were seated a CM added two additional people. We were all pressed together and I couldn't extend my legs to the side. It was not only physically uncomfortable but sitting with our feet in the standing water made it worse.

To be sure, we are aware of WDW CMs/managers who view the DISboards. But posting our concerns here is not enough: we are at WDW now and will express our concern formally to Guest Relations. POTC boats should not be operating with significant amounts of standing water in them.

Reactions: igk
During MNSSHP we rode POTC and got stuck for about 30 minutes and ended up missing the fireworks. I was mad! The boats definitely appeared overloaded and we were sat with 2 strangers in our row, which has never happened before. I told my sister next time say "oh no you're in the next boat!". I'm not sure why the boats were getting stuck, but my hypothesis is that they were too heavy and were bottoming out. I was wearing flip flops and my feet were in a puddle for so long that my toes actually got pruned! I did get a large splash on the drop and the cannonball really got me in the pirate ship scene. The latter wouldn't have anything to do with the new boats or overloading I don't think?

For all our hassle all we got was a FP for 2nd tier rides (Jungle Cruise, POTC, Magic Carpets, Dumbo, etc). I don't plan to ride again anytime soon! The Disneyland version is better anyway.

Our last trip was 2 years ago Thanksgiving, and we got soaked on Pirates that trip. We were in the front row and a huge wave came over the entire front of the boat. Soaked to the skin form the waist down. After that we refused to sit in the front row. I would refuse to board a boat that had enough standing water in it to soak my shoes.

I wonder if the standing water would cause any health issues if your walking around squishing it between your toes. I just bought $120 walking shoes due to a problem with my feet and soaking the leather and having them dry with dirty water on them was not part of my plans. Annoying to say the least. I would rather stand in line for an extra 5 min. And enjoy the experience.

This is extremely disappointing to hear. Our family always went in Dec/Jan so we rode this ride a lot when it was cold out. Even when sitting in the front row back then you never got wet. The most splash we ever got was a few drops from the cannonball blast.

This is actually one of my moms favorite rides but she is almost 70 with rheumatoid arthritis so cold + water is going to cause her some serious issues. I hope they work on a way to resolve the weight issue before we arrive. She would be so disappointed not to ride this.

I wonder if the standing water would cause any health issues if your walking around squishing it between your toes. I just bought $120 walking shoes due to a problem with my feet and soaking the leather and having them dry with dirty water on them was not part of my plans. Annoying to say the least. I would rather stand in line for an extra 5 min. And enjoy the experience.

I always wear sneakers and they are pretty expensive due to foot issues and I also wear orthotics in them. I would hate to have to put my feet in water then be sloshing around for the next few hours with wet sneakers and socks. I also would wait an extra 5-10 mins for a dry boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts