Flooded POTC boats

Rode it yesterday and there was no standing water in the bottom. We got a little splashed from the cannon balls hitting the water effect and glad we stowed our phones away but it was really nothing. None of the boats I saw were flooded. However when we got out the CM said there was a sign saying you may get wet on this ride.

We rode yesterday morning walked on with no wait and very few people! We requested middle row and actually were the only ones on the boat. We sat in row 4 didn't get wet at all!

Going to try and ride tonite at MNSSHP and see if there is a difference.

Rode POTC twice about 1.5 weeks ago - a Wednesday morning after 10AM (which was a non-MNSSHP day). They weren't overloading the boats, and it was just DW and myself in our row. We sat in the 3rd row each time and didn't get wet more than a few drops. I noticed the wait times were short (15-20 minutes) so we held off using our FP+ and got on in about 10 minutes. The 2nd time, the wait times still weren't bad (25 minutes) but we used our FP+ then. The first time through we had maybe two rows with at least 3 people, the rest all had 2. The 2nd time through all rows had 3 except ours. Since there were more people in our boat the second time through, we did notice that the folks in the front did get wetter. DW's shoes got wet the 2nd time through as we noticed there was more water in the boat when we got on and the extra from the drop was just enough to cause DW issues.

What I think is happening is that the CMs are directed to really fill the boats up when the wait times go above a certain point. With all the extra weight the boat sits lower and the splash from the drop is greater. And because the boats don't appear to drain the amount of water coming in from previous rides begins to build up at the bottom of the boats.

We rode yesterday morning walked on with no wait and very few people! We requested middle row and actually were the only ones on the boat. We sat in row 4 didn't get wet at all!

Going to try and ride tonite at MNSSHP and see if there is a difference.

It was during the MNSSHP that they filled the boat with 3 per row and we got soaked from the drop! Then the water over the sides soaked our feet.

I get this is a water ride but not everyone gets this wet. Still have fun. If you want to get wet you may. Be advised.
48 years of people riding PotC where almost nobody got "wet"...

Now, WDW's version is soaking folks on a regular basis.

Sounds like a problem with the center of gravity being out of the "safe" envelope attributable to bow-heavy loading and/or not having a working bilge drain.

Sounds to me like it's just a matter of time before one of the boats capsizes, not a desirable prospect considering the guide rails...

Sounds like a problem with the center of gravity being out of the "safe" envelope attributable to bow-heavy loading and/or not having a working bilge drain.

Sounds to me like it's just a matter of time before one of the boats capsizes, not a desirable prospect considering the guide rails...

It that happened would they be able to do an immediate emergency shutdown to prevent other boats from coming down the drop?

It that happened would they be able to do an immediate emergency shutdown to prevent other boats from coming down the drop?
I don't think it would happen on the drop -- the rollers are flat across the bottom of the boat, and the bow wave is pushing the bow down. I'm worried it might happen in one of the other areas after the boat settles, but as the guests squirm and twist to avoid getting their shoes/socks/pants even wetter, the water will gather on one side or the other, causing the guests to rock to the other, causing the water to ship back where they're leaning and the whole thing to go over...

This is so disappointing! We love POTC but we don't go on expecting to get soaked!

I think I'm going to try to make this our last ride of the night. That way, if we do get soaked, all we have to do it get back to the hotel. But then again, it might be chilly standing at the bus stop...... dang.

I think I'm going to try to make this our last ride of the night. That way, if we do get soaked, all we have to do it get back to the hotel. But then again, it might be chilly standing at the bus stop...... dang.

Yeah. Luckily it was a warm night when we did the MNSSHP, because we caught the initial splash, the surge over the gunwales and the dreaded two cannonball explosion in the water! I was pretty wet when we disembarked.

We will be there this week and the weather forecast looks to be on the warm side, even at night so it might be a good plan. It will have to be a "Game day" decision.

guide rails or no guide rails I'd rather not capsize! We are all great swimmers so that's not an issue but being completely soaked (as in capsizing) would put a damper on the day!!

I just stumbled across this thread and can I say, UGH! I don't mind getting wet but I have an issue with my feet getting wet because I wear insoles that must not get overly wet (which is also a big issue when it's raining). For that very reason, I always switch shoes at the very last possible moment before going on Kali or Splash because obviously, they don't let you ride bare feet. I totally would have gone on POTC with my regular shoes because there has never ever been an issue with standing water in the boats! A little wet on the floor or seats yes but never standing water. Now I need to remember to switch shoes before that ride as well, ugh! That plain sucks!

Why is it more of a PIA to change shoes before POC then it is for splash or Kali???????

Me too. Since it's almost a flume effect, I would think the standard physics would explain the splashing-the mass distribution has a greater effect on the splash than the overall mass. Front heavy boats will splash more. Perhaps the loading of the boats is the factor here, because it isn't happening consistently. I'm sure they've had enough queries to research it.

Add in that the water is all going to flow to the front during the drop. Just consider that if the floor of the boat is something like 15'L by 8'W for 120sqft. then with just a single inch of water in it would be about 600lbs of water flowing to the front during the drop. That is adding ~3 adults worth of weight to the front of the boat at a point closer to the bow than the first row is. I suspect the drenching wave may in part be the water in the boat splashing up off the front of the interior when it rushes to the front during the drop. I'd suggest riding it early in the day before water accumulates and compounds any issues.

6" isn't happening as that would be approximately 60 cuft of water and would weigh over 3500lbs. Cubic foot of water = 62.4lbs

Why is it more of a PIA to change shoes before POC then it is for splash or Kali???????
I personally have not had to change shoes after Splash. And if I am not planning on getting my feet wet that day, then getting my feet wet on POTC is a huge pain. Before this year, I had never gotten more than a few drops of water on me.

I don't think it would happen on the drop -- the rollers are flat across the bottom of the boat, and the bow wave is pushing the bow down. I'm worried it might happen in one of the other areas after the boat settles, but as the guests squirm and twist to avoid getting their shoes/socks/pants even wetter, the water will gather on one side or the other, causing the guests to rock to the other, causing the water to ship back where they're leaning and the whole thing to go over...
I'm not sure of your sense of humor but I'm going to assume you're kidding about the boat capsizing .

Our Disney half of our vacation is over now we're at the beach. We really had a fantastic time. It was crowded but manageable. I stilled enjoyed being on the ride and think anyone sitting on the middle to last rows will be dry.

There was a group of women with very long dresses. They came prepared with their ponchos & it took them some time to settle down in their seats. I even saw one stepping over from one row to the next. You'd think they were going on a trip over the ocean lol. I think the CMs were being very patient with them.

Rode last Tuesday during MNSSHP and they were not seating anyone in the first row of any of the boats. Not sure why - whether it's become a big problem so this is a temporary fix, or if maybe they just didn't want to hear folks complaining. I was seated on the far right side of row 3 and got a little splash during the cannons but nothing big. No standing water issues either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter