Flip flops?

LOL. At a charity event, my DW won a pair of $140 flip flops with Swarovski Crystal set into the straps! I'm thinking she can wear those on formal night.;)

advantagebridal_1798_61851859

One serious observation, however. While DCL has posted dress code polices, I never saw anything enforced in any way on our four-day Wonder cruise. In fact, there was a group of four in ratty old T-shirts, cut-off jean shorts and flip flops all havng dinner together in Triton's on the first night. Maybe there was a lost luggage situation going on with that, but I saw many people dressed well below the published standards and no CM ever said a word to one of them. We didn't eat at Palo's, so maybe that's different.

I'm not saying that's right; it's just what I saw in practice. In fact, I think it's inappropriate to simply ignore the dress code just because you don't like it. I know I've seen people post with the, "I'm paying good money to go on the cruise and I'll dress as I please attitude," but if that's your attitude then you should choose to vacation at Dollywood, or something. You might as well take a cruise and then be ticked off about the fact that you have to spend most of your vacation on a boat.

I'll be perfectly honest...I never noticed what a single other person was wearing in the dining rooms on any night of my cruise last week. I couldn't even tell you what my tablemates were wearing!

Sorry about jumping in to the "debate" late. I'm a guy and I'm wearing sandals to the dinners with dark socks that go with my dark pants. This is on ALL nights - including formal and semi formal nights. If I went to Palo for dinner I'd be wearing my sandals there too.

I wear birkenstock sandals that don't have a backstrap...so perhaps those qualify as flip flops....
Why stop wearing them when you are in a suit - I wear my birk's all of the time including with my suits (I don't wear them to WDW/DL/DCL any more because of the heat and the potential for the torential downpours - that ruined a previous pair). A few times when I've worn my suit to work and didn't wear my birk's my coworkers just about had heart attacks so I stick with the birk's!

don't know if they mean something different in CA, but the first thing that entered my mind when I saw Mike's post was a rubber pad with a strap that you secure by sliding the strap between your toes. That type of flip-flop, regardless of who is wearing them, who is making them or how much you had to pay for them, is not, in any way, shape or form, dressy. I see so many young ladies "flopping" around and I just want to say, do you realize how unattractive that looks? It's as bad as skirts that are too short, shirts that are too low-cut and wearing too much make-up. Do I consider myself the "fashion-police"? No, just a guy's opinion from a guy.
That said, Mike, if you feel the "flip-flops" you have would be appropriate for dinner, then so-be-it. I, myself, would pack the extra shoes. ::yes:: :teeth:

Who is looking at people's feet while their eating? Does it really matter what type of shoe you are wearing? I'm sure that people who take the time to dress nicely for dinner will wear shoes that are comfortable & appropriate for them. Some people love to dress up & for others it's just not their thing. We've been on two cruises & I've never seen anyone dressed poorly or tacky at dinner. Let's enjoy ourselves & stop making everyone try to think the same way! Disney Magic..only one month left!! Cathie & The Gang::yes:: :grouphug: :mickeybar

Thought this was interesting....I just found it on MSN.com

Flip Flops
Dime store flip flops are more popular than ever, and come in every color and style imaginable. While these shoes have been used with skirts, pants and other dressy outfits in fashion magazines, your best bet is to not wear them to work. The bottom line when it comes to shoes is that if you can wear them in the shower, you should leave them at home.

I know they are talking about work....but formal night might fall into the same category.

I do not have to worry as I can't stand anything between my toes except sand!!!

MJ

Originally posted by DrCavin
Which post would that be?

That would be the one with the word we don't allow our 10 yo DD to use -- c _ _ p. I'm by no means a prud -- I say that word, but not in front of kids. And since kids read this board I just didn't think it was appropriate.

I think that most people missed the part on the original post where he mentioned that he wasn't talking about wearing flip flops to formal or semi-formal night... anyway.....

So, I'm no expert but I think that flip flops are gaining some respect as far as footwear is concerned. I am a HUGE fan of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Carson has paired flip flops/sandles with a number of outfits and I think they look really great and the person still looks neat and put together. I think for a guy that flip flops/sandles and khakis are the perfect cruise outfit for dinner on the non-formal nights.

jrabbit --
socks with sandals???????????????????????????...
ok....no comment.....

no...i've got to comment....
socks with sandals?????????????????????????????????

are you perhaps an engineer or computer geek?
not that i'm stereotyping or anything...
but socks with sandals??????????????????????

although, perhaps you live on the arctic circle and then i guess it makes sense...

i live in a climate that makes orlando look frigid, so the whole point of wearing sandals would be lost if i were to add socks to my birks.....

so to clarify....i'll be the one in either a matching capri pants set, or perhaps even a designer resort casual suit, with flip flop birks on my feet.....

if it's a problem for you, don't look at my feet....you probably won't be looking at the rest of me either, as at my age, there are certainly more interesting views to be had elsewhere....

oh...and yes jrabbit, i'll also be wearing my birks in the parks when it rains......so far (knock on wood) i've never had a problem with it...

I too, have a reply,

Socks with sandals? I second that motion with an incredulous: HUH?

The only people I know who do this are the very old, or those who truly are tourists (I live in a very tourist laden beach community, I have seen it all)

With that said, however, let me also say this: To each, his own. I say, go for it... but reconsider them if you are wearing flip flops, this tends to wear holes in your socks a bit quicker!!!

Originally posted by DMS_cruisers04
don't know if they mean something different in CA, but the first thing that entered my mind when I saw Mike's post was a rubber pad with a strap that you secure by sliding the strap between your toes. That type of flip-flop, regardless of who is wearing them, who is making them or how much you had to pay for them, is not, in any way, shape or form, dressy. I see so many young ladies "flopping" around and I just want to say, do you realize how unattractive that looks? It's as bad as skirts that are too short, shirts that are too low-cut and wearing too much make-up. Do I consider myself the "fashion-police"? No, just a guy's opinion from a guy.
That said, Mike, if you feel the "flip-flops" you have would be appropriate for dinner, then so-be-it. I, myself, would pack the extra shoes. ::yes:: :teeth:

OMGosh you guys are really "out of it", flip flops are the latest trend. Walk around NYC and you will now see thousands of flip flops from the $1 kind to the $1000 kind. It is the latest trend started last summer I think. So flip flops are finally getting their time to shine IMO they are the best summer "shoe" . It is about time people are saying comfort can be fashionable. I mean as much as I loved the aerosoles trend they would still get hot no matter what sandal style you had one. Now with fancy flip flops you can stay comfy and cool and be sofisticated!:) Omg remember when everyone was wearing doc martins even in the summer with dresses? I still have my docs but they have been kicked to the fall wardrobe give me my flip flops anytime :)

Originally posted by mmouse37
Thought this was interesting....I just found it on MSN.com

Flip Flops
Dime store flip flops are more popular than ever, and come in every color and style imaginable. While these shoes have been used with skirts, pants and other dressy outfits in fashion magazines, your best bet is to not wear them to work. The bottom line when it comes to shoes is that if you can wear them in the shower, you should leave them at home.

I know they are talking about work....but formal night might fall into the same category.

I do not have to worry as I can't stand anything between my toes except sand!!!

MJ
WHOOHOO should have read ahead!!!

My dad and sometimes my mom wear socks with sandals--drives my teenager crazy, but I'm sure they aren't crazy about some of his attire either. I hate to think people are looking at mu feet in the dining room--it might ruin their appetite!!!
My one friend left her bag of shoes at home and spent the whole cruise in sneakers, she refused to go to the dining room that way, but I say where them if you want-they will be under your pants.
Next we will be discussing whether thong underwear is okay. Who wants to comment first!
One week to the Magic!!
Beth

Originally posted by BethA
Next we will be discussing whether thong underwear is okay. Who wants to comment first!
Well, as much as I don't care what other people wear, I don't think that coming to dinner wearing only a thong would be appropriate. ;)

Eewwwww! Let's stop this whole thong conversation now! You are bringing back too many unpleasant memories of the lady that I saw over by Cookies at Castaway Cay. Let's just say, there are people that might look good in a thong bathing suit and there are others that don't...this lady fell into the later category. Hers wasn't a total thong (think dental floss), but more like a tiny little triangle that didn't cover much of anything in the back. And when she leaned over the area where the fruit is to grab a piece for her daughter, and her very flabby, cellulite-y stomach laid to rest on the first row of fruit...well, let's just say I told my family that we weren't going to be eating any fruit that day! Ick!

Just so you don't think I am a terrible person for pointing out this woman's imperfections, I should add that my stomach is just as flabby and cellulite-y, if not worse, than this woman's was (and please don't look at my thighs :eek: ), but I keep it very much covered and off of the fruit. As sweaty and covered in sunscreen as we all are at CC, it just kind of made me lose my appetite to see her skin touching the food like that.

re the socks with sandals,
when we went to Hawaii, DDad told me he was going to wear his with socks, he has diabetis (S?) and can't wear them without. I kind of hinted maybe he should just stick with the sneakers, poor guy, he did. I always thought wearing sandals with socks kind of defeats the purpose.
About flip-flops, I to am one who can't handle anything between my toes, but am looking for a way to cut back on shoes for our Oct cruise. We are a family of 4 with big feet, and the kids just keep growing for some reason.

Donnainnj --
never thought of people like your dad.....good to know for the future....

as for big feet....DH wears a 14 shoe, DS a 13, DD an 11...(i'm the lilliputian in the land of the giants....only a 7.5....)...
so yes, i too try to keep the footwear to a minimum...
this is what i think we'll bring: one pair birks for each....one pair water sandals for everyone but DH ("source" water sandals -- sort of like tevas but much simpler).....one pair gym shoes for each for the work out room.....and that's it......and just that will probably take up an entire suitcase....

Minnie&Mickey - Holly, your post totally cracked me up.... and brought back some rather dubious memories.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter