Flight Prices

Laurajane6

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

Been checking flight prices pretty much daily for our upcoming trip in October.

I've just found prices for just under £400pp with one stop.
Issue is that there is an airport change, not flight change, we would have to travel to a new airport in London.

Would you guys book this price? Airport change isn't a deal breaker as there is only 2 of us with no children.

I'm also considering waiting till around the 6 month mark as these tend to be sliiiightly cheaper but not loads under £400 and I'm also risking losing a good price.

All advice welcome, thank you

Personally I wouldn't change airports as I'd find that too much hassle. I'd also be concerned that delays could cause us to miss the other flight - at least if I'm in the same airport I'd feel that little more secure. However, just under £400 is a really good price so it all depends on how much of a gamble you're willing to take. As long as you have plenty of transfer time between airports then it'll be doable.

changing airports in London, for me personally, having lived in London, I would want at least 5 hours between flights.
What airports are involved and how much time are they giving you between flights?

Personally I wouldn't change airports as I'd find that too much hassle. I'd also be concerned that delays could cause us to miss the other flight - at least if I'm in the same airport I'd feel that little more secure. However, just under £400 is a really good price so it all depends on how much of a gamble you're willing to take. As long as you have plenty of transfer time between airports then it'll be doable.

There's a 4 hour window between the flights, I am trying to weigh up the benefits of cheaper price vs changing airports.

The difference in price isn't drastic, not sure it's enough to persuade me to change airports but it is tempting!

changing airports in London, for me personally, having lived in London, I would want at least 5 hours between flights.
What airports are involved and how much time are they giving you between flights?

There's 4 hours between flights.

Flights would be Manchester to Heathrow and then fly out of Gatwick to Orlando. Stopover on the way back is Philadelphia which is fine and no airport change there

Flights would be Manchester to Heathrow and then fly out of Gatwick to Orlando. Stopover on the way back is Philadelphia which is fine and no airport change there

Yikes, Heathrow to Gatwick with a 4 hour window, no way would I do that. First off the landed time is when the wheels touch the tarmac, it could take anything from 10 minutes to 20 minutes after that for the plane doors to open. You then need to exit the plane, and get yourself through to the bus stop. Add on minimum of 45 minutes from landed time to getting to the bus.
This would mean getting the bus that leaves approx 1 hour after your landed time.

The fastest way between Heathrow and Gatwick is National Express Bus http://www.nationalexpress.com/airports/heathrow-to-gatwick-coach.aspx travel time approx 1 hour 15 minutes, thats without any traffic delays.

In theory you are looking at arriving at Gatwick 2 and a half hours after your flight lands at Heathrow. Thats not factoring in stopping for food or toilet or a very long walk from the plane to the baggage claim and out through arrivals, or walking from arrivals to the National Express departure point, or a delay in the bus departing, or traffic around Heathrow, or traffic on the motorway, or traffic around Gatwick.

Then when you get to Gatwick, you need to go through security again, and then get yourself to to the departure gate.

Realistically it would be more like 3 hours from the time the plane lands in Heathrow to getting to Gatwick

Oh and what happens to your bags? Do you have to get them at Heathrow and recheck them in at Gatwick?

Is the stress of all that really worth the cheap flight???

Yikes, Heathrow to Gatwick with a 4 hour window, no way would I do that. First off the landed time is when the wheels touch the tarmac, it could take anything from 10 minutes to 20 minutes after that for the plane doors to open. You then need to exit the plane, and get yourself through to the bus stop. Add on minimum of 45 minutes from landed time to getting to the bus.
This would mean getting the bus that leaves approx 1 hour after your landed time.

The fastest way between Heathrow and Gatwick is National Express Bus http://www.nationalexpress.com/airports/heathrow-to-gatwick-coach.aspx travel time approx 1 hour 15 minutes, thats without any traffic delays.

In theory you are looking at arriving at Gatwick 2 and a half hours after your flight lands at Heathrow. Thats not factoring in stopping for food or toilet or a very long walk from the plane to the baggage claim and out through arrivals, or walking from arrivals to the National Express departure point, or a delay in the bus departing, or traffic around Heathrow, or traffic on the motorway, or traffic around Gatwick.

Then when you get to Gatwick, you need to go through security again, and then get yourself to to the departure gate.

Realistically it would be more like 3 hours from the time the plane lands in Heathrow to getting to Gatwick

Oh and what happens to your bags? Do you have to get them at Heathrow and recheck them in at Gatwick?

Is the stress of all that really worth the cheap flight???

Thank you so much for breaking it down like that!!

Don't think it's worth it, I wasn't really factoring in time spent getting off the plane etc but would be cutting it close! Just spend a few extra pennies and get a better flight option.

Thank you again

Another vote for not changing airports. London can be crazy and there are too many factors that can add time onto your journey xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter