Fixing Castaway Cay port access for ships

What suggestions would you encourage?

• Total voters
As I indicated, I've never cruised and so I have no idea what the process is so there is nothing for me to contradict. I will say that if this info is buried into a long terms and conditions section like I've seen on various websites, it is still not ideal. Bullet point the most important things rather than bury them in pages of legalese. It would help avoid misunderstandings like what the OP experienced.

The bottom line is, you are checking off that you have read the terms and conditions. If you choose not to, that is on you - but you wouldn't have a leg to stand on to argue that you weren't advised because it is in there.

I admit that I have not pored over it, but I have at least skimmed through it and am pretty aware of what is in there. But I did scan it before checking that box. Maybe that makes me weird, but it also makes me prepared.

The bottom line is, you are checking off that you have read the terms and conditions. If you choose not to, that is on you - but you wouldn't have a leg to stand on to argue that you weren't advised because it is in there.

I admit that I have not pored over it, but I have at least skimmed through it and am pretty aware of what is in there. But I did scan it before checking that box. Maybe that makes me weird, but it also makes me prepared.

This. We've been on 4 cruises, been to Castaway each time -- but I do know that factors out of their control may mean we don't get there.
And yes, when you online check in, the terms and conditions are there.

As I indicated, I've never cruised and so I have no idea what the process is so there is nothing for me to contradict. I will say that if this info is buried into a long terms and conditions section like I've seen on various websites, it is still not ideal. Bullet point the most important things rather than bury them in pages of legalese. It would help avoid misunderstandings like what the OP experienced.
It is not buried in pages of legalese like you see on many websites. It's actually pretty easy to read through. A contract like this, where you're spending thousands of dollars should not be signed lightly.

See also people doing social media meltdowns about cruising after a certain point in pregnancy when denied embarkation. It's in the T&C quite clearly.

And even more than that, you have to check off that no one in your party will have entered their 24th week when you do your check in - so there is ZERO excuse for that one.

There are all kinds of amusing items in the cruise contract that people probably don’t read. They can substitute a different vessel, even one from another carrier if there is a problem. They can restrain a passenger or confine them to their cabin. For those who have never actually read it, you should.

We were at CC in March on the Magic. The day wasn't the best to begin with, rain and wind and then just wind for the rest of the day. When it came time to leave, the wind was so bad I didn't think we were going to make it away from the dock. From my vantage point, it looked like the back end of the ship was going to be driven into the dock. The water coming off the front of the ship was amazing. I wish I had some pictures on my computer so I could post. Needless to say we finally got away from the dock, but I've never seen it like that before at CC and that was our 10th Disney cruise.

I was on the dream in march and we were unable to dock at CC. We enjoyed the ship more as it was a 3 night cruise and it felt so rushed before having the missed stop. The only thing with ours was I woke up at 1am that night going to CC and we were back in Nassau. There was a medical emergency and they turned the boat around. I wondered if that put us behind on getting to CC and made more sense to just be at sea. Didn’t stop us from booking again, we have alaska book in August and Easter C. in april. Fingers crossed we get to go to CC in april.

Attempted CC twice. On the wonder, too windy, captain tried a few time to pull in, but ship drifted. Captain did not port and ended up spending more time in Aruba. On the Dream, got to CC port, Was on the Island for a few, then pouring rain, no chance to do much on CC. Trying again this year. Hope we make it.

We were on the Dream in 2016 and after an hour or so we had what I would call a monsoon...lightning, thunder, standing water to walk or tram through, for about 2 solid hours. Cast members running food to the pavillions because no one would leave. Bars and stores closed. I hadn't been to CC since 2004 so I was pretty disappointed, but I think a day at sea would be better than sitting there shivering in the rain.
On the other hand, we have a 3 day Fantasy next month and for God's sake, let it be nice on CC since it will be my BDay. Plan to head right to adult beach and plant ourselves.

We were on the Dream in 2016 and after an hour or so we had what I would call a monsoon...lightning, thunder, standing water to walk or tram through, for about 2 solid hours. Cast members running food to the pavillions because no one would leave. Bars and stores closed. I hadn't been to CC since 2004 so I was pretty disappointed, but I think a day at sea would be better than sitting there shivering in the rain.
On the other hand, we have a 3 day Fantasy next month and for God's sake, let it be nice on CC since it will be my BDay. Plan to head right to adult beach and plant ourselves.

We have been very fortunate and have never been turned away from CC -- but we have had two stays there cut short because of approaching lightening and thunderstorms. Even being told we had to evacuate the beaches by 1 p.m. was disappointing.

About ten years ago, we had the opposite experience. We were on a four day cruise and our CC day started out with drizzle and cool weather. I don't remember anything being closed on the island, but a lot of people didn't get off the ship (we got off). Around noon, DCL announced that we would be spending the next day at CC, instead of the scheduled sea day. There were a lot of excited people on the ship.

About ten years ago, we had the opposite experience. We were on a four day cruise and our CC day started out with drizzle and cool weather. I don't remember anything being closed on the island, but a lot of people didn't get off the ship (we got off). Around noon, DCL announced that we would be spending the next day at CC, instead of the scheduled sea day. There were a lot of excited people on the ship.

That is an awesome plus! They know it's a good money-maker too ;)

Lucky!!!

It is also quite visible in the FAQ section of the website. I can't speak for other people, but I definitely read the FAQ sections before booking something like this.

Ports & Port Adventures Excursions – Frequently Asked Questions

Q.
Could any of the scheduled ports of call be changed during our cruise?

A.
Disney Cruise itineraries only divert from scheduled ports in cases of extreme weather or other eventualities that may impact Guest safety or due to circumstances beyond our control. We make every effort to alert Guests to port changes as soon as we can and, where possible, prior to sailing.

I know this is definitely NOT the popular opinion but it wouldn't ruin my cruise if we missed CC. Truly IMO...it's just a "nice" beach. Plenty more around the world. One cruise we couldn't dock at Grand Turk/Turks and Caicos. Now THAT was disappointing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter