Fish Extenders?

Wow! What lovely treasures! The children in your FE group are very lucky. :goodvibes

Thanks! we have 13 girls and 3 boys.
I made bookmarks for the adults.......
BookmarksFE002.jpg

Okay - so this will be my first time doing a Fish Exchange, so I have a few questions that I don't think have been answered (I promise I have read this whoooooole thread...and several others)

#1: Whether you guys agree to do one-per-day or one-per-cruise, do the exchangers always label their gifts so you'll know who it's from? If so, how did you label/package your items?

#2: Do other people ever put things in your Fish Exchanger? I'm talking about from people outside of your pre-determined FE group?

#3: What was the best/most special thing you have ever gotten in your FE?

#4: What's the most unique thing you have received?

Thanks in advance!! I'm looking forward to learning more about this process...

Okay - so this will be my first time doing a Fish Exchange, so I have a few questions that I don't think have been answered (I promise I have read this whoooooole thread...and several others)

#1: Whether you guys agree to do one-per-day or one-per-cruise, do the exchangers always label their gifts so you'll know who it's from? If so, how did you label/package your items?

#2: Do other people ever put things in your Fish Exchanger? I'm talking about from people outside of your pre-determined FE group?

#1 Last MouseFest cruise we agreed to 'gift' each stateroom on our list, at least once during the cruise (more if people wanted). (I found a good time to gift for me, was after mid-night). :thumbsup2

#2 Yes, I've stuck magnets on random doors, and added to FE's I don't know.....like to spread a little :wizard:

#3 EVERY item I get is special! :goodvibes Some things I remember are Maple syrup, (used it to make my pecan pie extra special at xmas) A rum cake!

#4 A survival kit in a large zip-loc bag with things like sun block, Q-tips, floss, first aid kit, chap stick, wrinkle spray, ties for FE.....it came with a poem. :goodvibes

Hope this helps, and Happy Gifting!!:flower3:

#1 Last MouseFest cruise we agreed to 'gift' each stateroom on our list, at least once during the cruise (more if people wanted). (I found a good time to gift for me, was after mid-night). :thumbsup2

#2 Yes, I've stuck magnets on random doors, and added to FE's I don't know.....like to spread a little :wizard:

#3 EVERY item I get is special! :goodvibes Some things I remember are Maple syrup, (used it to make my pecan pie extra special at xmas) A rum cake!

#4 A survival kit in a large zip-loc bag with things like sun block, Q-tips, floss, first aid kit, chap stick, wrinkle spray, ties for FE.....it came with a poem. :goodvibes

Hope this helps, and Happy Gifting!!:flower3:

Thanks for your reply!! So there could be FE's out there that aren't DIS, necessarily... I forget that not everyone is DIS.

I love the survival kit! If I hadn't already done my shopping, I'd consider something like that! I mostly went for Disney treats this time! It helps to live so close to The Mouse... :wizard:

I've been on three cruises so far and the last one was really organized. We had a HUGE disboard group so they broke the group up into "days". Some people got together and combined their money to get things like lip balm with our disboard cruise logo.
I usually do two gifts. One I give out on my assigned day, and another towards the end of the cruise. ( I like to make luggage tags ).
I usually take more than I think I will need as I like to gift strangers as well. Magnets are a really easy if you have an ink jet printer.
I would say the lip balm was my favorite, but I also love the CD's. The little matchbooks with the lifesavers were nice too. I think on the DISigns thread they have a template for those.
Hope this helps!!
Re: label your gift. Most people do depending on the size of the item. Most common is using your printer and return address labels. So it might say "Enjoy! Elderfam" "Have a Great Day! Elderfam" You don't have to do this. My first cruise I didnt, but I did like being able to know who to thank if I ran into them.;)

We were given some interesting gifts when our group decided each person should use a gift representing the area they came from.
We received a airplane sized whiskey from Tennessee, Illini Gum (Orange and Blue) from Illinois, Goo Goo clusters from another state and my favorite was a bag of delights from a person of Asian decent it had tiny peanut candy, a paper fan magnet and other cute items. Another person created a music CD with some raggae and "party" music suited for the Carribean. People were very creative. A personalized bag of M & M's with "Disney Magic" on
red M's and "Tag You are it" on black M's. It was a lot of fun.

Hi guys,
:love:
I love making FE and have one to give away. I made a Hannah Montana themed FE and was playing around with using the little gems. So this is my proto-type. I don't have an extra dowel to send with it though. The color is a little washed out in the photo. It's really very purple and pink! Three pockets.
Cynthia:goodvibes

Sorry guys, Someone as asked for it and I have given it away. I will post any extra FE's in the future that I will give away.

P1030445-1.jpg

Hi guys,
:love:
I love making FE and have one to give away. I made a Hannah Montana themed FE and was playing around with using the little gems. So this is my proto-type. I don't have an extra dowel to send with it though. The color is a little washed out in the photo. It's really very purple and pink! Three pockets.
Cynthia:goodvibes

Sorry guys, Someone as asked for it and I have given it away. I will post any extra FE's in the future that I will give away.

P1030445-1.jpg
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: Cynthia, sent you a PM!!
Janice

After several requests I have finally gotten around to writing the directions to how I did it. What I did is very similar to the directions on earlier posts so those provided great guidance.

Supplies:

2 yards of fabric (two colors – one yard each)
Double fold bias tape
Dowell Rod
Iron-On Patches
1 Package of Iron-On Interfacing
1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew Ultra Hold 7/8 in. hem
1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew 1 Yard
Various Colors of Ribbon

1. Cut fabric to be used as the body of the FE to be 8 in. wide by 58 in. in length. When folded the FE will be 29 in. in length.
2. Cut fabric for the three pockets, cut each pocket 11 in. wide by 12 in. in length. When folded each pocked will be 6 in. in length.
3. On the inside of the FE body piece and each pocket iron on the interfacing. Once cooled completely I ironed on the sheet of Heat-n-Bond cut 8 in. by 29 in. to the inside of the body of the FE.
4. On each of the 3 folded pockets I made pleats so that the pockets were 2 in.-pleat-4 in.-pleat 2 in. To secure the pleats I used the Heat-n-Bond Ultrahold hem. This was done on the cut side so that the top edge would be folded and clean.
5. Next I used the heat-n-bond hem to add 8 in. strips of the double fold bias tape to the bottom of each pocket.
6. Next I lined up the pockets on the body of the FE starting 8 in. from the top and then about 1 in. apart. I market the spots with a pencil and secured the bottom and sides of the pockets using the heat-n-bond hem.
7. Once all cooled. I used the double fold bias tape for the perimeter of the body of the FE which again was secured using the iron on hem.
8. Once cooled I ironed on the patches to each of the pockets.
9. I then folded down the top of the FE about 2 inches and secured to the back of the FE by the iron-on hem creating a little opening to insert the dowel rod.
10. Using the multicolored ribbon I made it long enough so that the FE would hang approximately 7-8 in. from a hanger.
11. For our names I bough iron-on computer paper and printed the names on the computer. Then I cut and surrounded the paper with double fold bias tape attached using the iron-on hem. Finally I ironed on the name piece.

I think that’s all. I’ve never tried to write directions for anything like this before. Everything I used I bought from either Wal-Mart, Michaels, or Joann’s Fabrics.

Here's the picture again of the final result.
DSC02144.jpg

Love it, where did you get the embroidered characters??

HI everyone! I have read about half the thread, whew!

Our FE group has several teenage boys, any ideas for little gifts for them? :confused3

Thanks! :goodvibes :hug:

Love it, where did you get the embroidered characters??

I got them through Amazon. I can't remember the name of the store through there right off, but if you search for whatever character you are looking for with "iron on" or "patch" or some combination of that you should be able to find a few options. :wizard:

I got them through Amazon. I can't remember the name of the store through there right off, but if you search for whatever character you are looking for with "iron on" or "patch" or some combination of that you should be able to find a few options. :wizard:

I have seen some of the "patches" at Joann's recently. I think they were iron on.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter