• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First trail run race

Sabeking

DIS Veteran
I signed up for a half coming up this weekend. It was a spur of the moment thing. I did a half two weeks ago and was really excited about my time. So....I just signed up for another and found out the last few miles are hilly trails. I have never done a trail race. Any advice? I wear nike frees and am assuming they are ok for the trail portion:confused3

Depending on the terrain see if you can locate a pair of gators to help keep your shoes from filling with debris. Even the smallest grain of sand can feel like a boulder.

Your focal point will need to be a little shorter - but you still need to scan up the trail. You may have roots, soft areas, rocks, and water to deal with. Watch the hips of the runner just in front of you. That will give you a clue as to whether they hit a hole or are making an evasive move.

Your stride may need a little modification..... you may need to pick up and set down your feet instead of gliding like many runners do. It will use more energy so you may need to slow up on the trail.

Most of all, good luck and HAVE FUN. When I lived in Houston we had a few trail runs in a state park north of the city. The races were fun...

Thanks guys...great advice! Who knew the Outer Banks would have hilly trails!

I've run both the outerbanks marathon and the flying pirate half. I think the flying pirate half must be the one you are doing. While it is trails you will be fine in regular running shoes. The last couple miles are really fire roads not trails. When I ran it 2 years ago it poured rain the entire time and didn't really cause any problems. The last .3 miles or leaves the fire roads an is on real trails. While there are no big hills there is a lot of short and fairly steep ups and downs. Everyone I saw was running in standard shoes with no gators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter