First timer with questions for Monday departure

av8erdunn

Earning My Ears
So we leave tomorrow morning going to typhoon lagoon late tomorrow and on Sunday then boarding the Dream Monday at 11:45. I am curious as to how this works. We arrive at the port then what happens? I know they take our bags but when do they bring them to you? We will have our case of water, and several carry on bags with us when boarding. When we board, can we go to our stateroom and drop that stuff off or will the rooms be ready? If not, what do you do with it if you want to enjoy the ship? If there is a link to a thread already explaining this please feel free to post it but I didn’t see one. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Also, if you are at the adults pool and want something from Flo’s cafe, is it free or is there a charge? I know certain things like Vanellopes sweets you have to pay for but I was thinking most of the food is free. Was I wrong?

So we leave tomorrow morning going to typhoon lagoon late tomorrow and on Sunday then boarding the Dream Monday at 11:45. I am curious as to how this works. We arrive at the port then what happens? I know they take our bags but when do they bring them to you? We will have our case of water, and several carry on bags with us when boarding. When we board, can we go to our stateroom and drop that stuff off or will the rooms be ready? If not, what do you do with it if you want to enjoy the ship? If there is a link to a thread already explaining this please feel free to post it but I didn’t see one. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Your bags will be placed outside your stateroom any time from about 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., and sometimes a straggler will arrive even later than that.

Rooms are usually ready at 1:30 p.m. There is a rope barrier keeping guests in the elevator lobbies until then. If you want to do anything around the ship before that, you have to lug your carry-ons around with you.

Also, if you are at the adults pool and want something from Flo’s cafe, is it free or is there a charge? I know certain things like Vanellopes sweets you have to pay for but I was thinking most of the food is free. Was I wrong?
All of the food up on the main deck is "free" (i.e. included in your cruise fare), except for the non-soft serve ice cream and sweets. Outside of the Walt Disney Theater, they sell popcorn, canned soda, and candy, which is also not free.

Hope you have a great time!

Typical first day at Port Canaveral:
9:30-9:45 Parking garage/drop off opens. You will wait outside until the terminal opens.
When you arrive they will direct you to pull up to the curb and drop your luggage off. A few weeks before your cruise Disney will send you luggage tags. Have these attached to your luggage before you arrive. The porters will take your bags and deliver your luggage to your cabin. You should tip a few dollars per bag
**Luggage may not be delivered until 4-5:00 so keep a small day bag with bathing suits, sunscreen, RX and anything else you may need.
10:30 Terminal opens. When you arrive and check in you will be given a boarding number. The earlier your Port Arrival Time the lower your boarding number.
You pick your PAT when your booking window opens. For first time cruisers it’s 75 days prior to your cruise. The earliest PAT at Port Canaveral is 10:30-10:45. Please don’t arrive earlier than your PAT. Your boarding number is tied to your PAT so you will get the same boarding number no matter what time you arrive.
11:15-11:30 boarding begins. Concierge and Platinum board first. Then they start with everyone else. They call the next number(s) every 4-5 minutes.
11:45-12:00 all pools, slides, restaurants and bars open
1:30 cabins available.
Luggage may not be delivered until 4-5:00
3:30 all pools and restaurants close to get ready for the lifeboat drill.
4:00 lifeboat drill
4:30 quick service restaurants reopen
4:30 sail away party

Last edited:

To expand on what others said when you get to the terminal the first thing you do is go through security similar to airport security. Then you will go into the main check-in area they are places to sit bathrooms a model of the ship etc. you go through the check in line they give you a five question piece of paper making sure you’re not sick and then when you get to a desk they check you in check your passports give you your room key and tell you your number. When your number is called you will get in another line going through the back of the terminal that passes a photo opportunity and then you’ll enter the ship with your carry-ons That you will love around until they let you in your room. Keep in mind 130 is a guideline our ship was getting a deep clean in between sailings so it was at least 230 until we could get into the rooms.

Yep, what was said above. We had a port time of 10:30 a few weeks ago. You get there and drop off checked bags with porters, park, take carry on bags and stand in line for security. They take your bag and run it in the machine like at the airport and you walk in medal detectors. After that you walk in a large room and stand in line to check in. They check your documents and give you a boarding number. Our boarding number was 5. You sit around or stand in line to meet a character until your number is called. One called you walk up and they welcome you on the boat. Once on the boat we went to Cabanas and had lunch. There are characters already doing meetings around the ship. We went to meeting spot to try to get waitlist for Palo brunch. We went back up to the deck and sat outside for a while and then went to our deck and waited for them to open halls allowing us to go to our room. Once by the room we dropped off our carry on luggage and relaxed until safety meeting. When we came out for the safety meeting our bags were in the hall we had checked so we grabbed them and took them in the room. When we got to the club we met in for safety meeting they had everyone sit down after a while they had us all exit and get in line depending on deck and then walk back in and check in. Once the safety meeting is over you go directly to upper deck and get a spot for the sail away party.
This was our 1st Disney cruise and figured it all out easily! Have fun!

The first day for lunch Cabanas a buffet restaurant located on the pool deck will be open. Lots of food but can be very crowded.
There will also be a sit down/ table service restaurant open. On the Dream it’s Animator’s Palate not as much of a selection but much quieter As well as all of the quick service restaurants on the pool deck. All are included for no extra charge.
Here is a snap from the Navigator of lunch times
for the first day on the Dream
F1E22B8E-AC99-4E06-8DF3-E49465D606E7.png

When we got to the club we met in for safety meeting they had everyone sit down after a while they had us all exit and get in line depending on deck and then walk back in and check in.
Just to clarify: The location you need to go to for the safety meeting/lifeboat drill will be indicated on the inside door of your cabin. Some meeting places are in rooms inside the ship, and some are outside on Deck 4. The above description is for an interior meeting spot. If you meet outside, you will be asked to line up by cabin and stay standing as everyone gets checked in.

Thanks everyone. It’s gonna be a learning experience for sure.

Last edited:
Are you sure you want to bring the case of water?

Have you downloaded the dcl app?

If you like carrot cake get it on embarkation
Day lunch. After that you won’t see it again.

They have dole whip for sale on the ship. Don’t waste your money it’s not the same as wdw dole whip.

Don’t miss any of the shows. The dream has three great shows. Believe starts out slow but gets good. Doors open 30 minutes before show time.

So much to see in a short time . I wouldn’t waste your precious time watching a movie.

At dinner don’t be afraid to get what you want. . If you want the steak but you like the side dishes that the chicken has order that.

Look at the kids menu sometimes they have something you might like better.

Desserts are small. Don’t be afraid to order two of them.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter