First Timer with a pre-schooler - teach me your ways!

Imnatari

Earning My Ears
Hi! My husband and I are planning our first trip ever to WDW for next Feb / March. We will be bringing our daughter who will be a month shy of her 4th birthday at the time. The more I read, the more I feel like I'm totally in over my head. What are your go-to / favorite resources for planning for preschoolers in Disney? Some of the things I thought she might enjoy (Jedi Training, for example... we're big star wars fans) I'm learning there is a 4 year old cut off... I don't want to plan for something and then find out the activity I'm thinking of is not age appropriate.

We're planning for a Sat - Sun trip the last week of Feb / First week of March. We're hoping to stay in a LM room at AoA (we've already changed our mind about this about 5 times since we decided to start planning right before christmas!!) That's really as far as we've gotten.

Thanks in advance!!!

has she seen head characters? our granddaughter at almost 5 is just getting over her fear. took most of the week this summer to get her to go to head characters, she loves the face characters. plan on going her speed in the parks. one of her favorite things she did in parks was playing the drums in Animal Kingdom

Thanks!!! She's never seen any characters in person, but she'd recognize the fab 5, all of the Pixar character, Winnie the Pooh and friends, and a handful of disney princesses (not a super princess kind of gal). She's extremly outgoing, so I'm really not sure how she'll do with characters - it could really go either way. She knows all of the Disney Jr characters so I hope to do that characeter breakfast or the show they have.

We're bringing her to Disney on Ice in a few weeks, which I'm excited about. It's her first big show so I think that may be telling as to how she does, especially with crowds. Someone recommended to me to bring her somewhere local that has characters like Chucky Cheese to she handles the characters.

It depends on your kid's preferences and height. My not quite 3 yo was 40" when we went and loved the roller coasters. Try her out on Barnstormer first to see how she does.

Shows/musicals are a big hit with this age group.

If you're not sure about characters a breakfast is a good way to introduce the idea. Talking town square Mickey is also cool.

Look at lists that have height requirements to see what's possible.

Our girls also just appreciated a pool or water park day at that age, which is a nice break from the parks.

I wish we got fast passes for the characters. My DH did not think they would want to see characters in the parks because we had character meals booked so he said just book rides. The first thing my 6 year old wanted to do when we got to MK was give Mickey a hug. So off we went for a long line to see talking Mickey and they loved him. Their faces were in awe when he started talking. We waited in line to see lots of characters and even cancelled a few ride fast passes so next time I am booking character fast passes! They were more into the characters then the rides. I was so glad the day haunted mansion went down and I was able to use the fast pass for Cinderella! My 3 year old wil not go near Santa or the Easter Bunny, but she loved meeting and hugging the characters.

If she is that close to 4 and can follow directions, I would sign her up for Jedi training. My 3 year old follows directions just as good as my 5 year old. We asked if they could both be in. The CM knew she was 3 and asked her a few questions in line before sign ups and since she did what he said, they let her in. They loved Jedi Training!

They also loved tom sawyers island, the Dino dig play area at AK, and they liked the rides that spin such as the magic carpets in MK. If she likes princesses, enchanted tales with belle is a show with a meet and greet and the kids can be in the show. It was so cute! In Epcot, turtle talk with crush is fun. The kids all sit together in the front and get picked to ask crush a question. My DH and I could not see the kids and all of a sudden we heard our DD. It was so cute!

For character meals, we really enjoyed Tusker House, Chef Mickey, and the Disney JR characters at H&V. We did the last one for my Sofia loving three year old.

Enjoy! We just went on our first trip a few months ago and it was really magical. Our kids cannot wait to go back!

Oh, the magic ahead for you! While we couldn't swing a Disney vacation until our DDs were 17 and 19, we travelled with our 3 grandchildren when they were between 2 and 4 yrs old. Don't expect your DD to remember the trip, but you certainly will.

One of the things your DD may not be prepared for is the noise. Things are really LOUD. We found our little ones often covering their ears of trying to duck their heads. If she is sensitive to sound, some little earbuds or headphones may help a bit. It is funny, but even a soft stretchy hairband can give some children the sense their ears are being "protected" even though the decibel level is not appreciably decreased.

We have talked often about what were our most successful strategies that trip. Strollers were close to the top of the list. None of the children were prone to meltdowns during those years, but we all still believe the strollers were one of the biggest factors in avoiding them. My heart breaks when I see young ones being (literally) dragged along through the heat and crowds.... and we rested OUR feet while they played in the wonderful areas designed for their age or cooled off in fountains. They walked a good bit, but rode at least 50% of the distance. Important to note that we often walk over 10 miles during an Epcot day and not many 4 yr olds are ready for that.

Snack bags were a big deal. We packed them every day. Each child had his/her own little Disney lunch bag, with juice, fruit, cheese and crackers, and even sandwiches. These attached to their strollers and they could snack when the mood struck them, as long as they were riding. Likewise, they always had water at hand. Saved us a small fortune and the kids never went into that zone of being just a bit too hungry or thirsty to be pleasant. We seldom ordered any kids meals, but just let them graze on whatever appealed from the adult plates. No waste, no pressure to eat what was ordered. Ice cream and popcorn buckets were special treats.

BTW, we stay off site, and had cars. We bought very inexpensive strollers in Wal-Mart, expecting to leave them behind, but my DDs liked them so much that they brought them home on the plane.

Touring plan - we had one, but it was a guideline, not a schedule. The hard and fast rule was that if any part of our party had reached their limit, they could go or be taken back to our vacation house. WDW is a super-stimulating place for all ages, and it can get overwhelming. When it does, it is not fun anymore. No one reached that point, though.

We still congratulate ourselves on the fact that we never carried a child, had to deal with a tantrum, or even an upset tummy. The kids slept soundly through all but the MVMCP fireworks, went to bed easily, and got up bright-eyed each day...and so did we. Granted, we had 3 youngsters, with 4 parents and 2 grandparents, so there were lots of hands on deck. But we also had an 89 yr old great-grandmother along, who required almost as much supervision on her first ever visit!

Expect the best, be flexible, and when something isn't working for you, do something else. Some time at the pool is often as good as a nap. Don't tolerate behaviour on vacation that isn't acceptable at home, and do your best to avoid the triggers, usually hunger, thirst, fatigue, and over-stimulation... ahem... again, important for ALL ages.

Really important note - despite getting used to things, children's reactions to situations can drastically change from day to day at that age. A child who embraces every character one day, may hang back the next, or even cry. Same with rides and attractions. Children's perception is very different from ours and anything from a movie scene to a dream can cast an experience in a new light, and turn something simple into the stuff of nightmares. If this happens, don't waste time coaxing... redirect and move on. This is your vacation, plenty of time for life lessons later. Share the joy and move away from things that don't provide it. It's one of our few opportunities to do this!

A great age to go:) We just got back from a trip with a 4 year old and 7 year old. Although my youngest loved the mine train I was suprised that he was nervous on some of the dark rides (winnie the pooh and peter pan). There is so much stimulation for them that it can be overwhelming. Your resort choice will be exciting for a small child but might I also suggest POFQ. There is little Disney decor but the resort is calm and peaceful. We find that a welcome break from the intensity of the parks. They also have a new food court menu with great options and fabulous kids splash pad as well as boat service to Disney Springs. Great for different dinner options and much less stressful than driving or taking a bus. I would also recommend the sister resort , Port Orleans Riverside but only if you can get a preferred room. We prefer the theme there but the resort is much larger.

Our youngest loved the characters but was too shy to speak to them. We like meeting Mickey and Minnie together at Animal Kingdom. We have done and love Crystal Palace for the characters but last time it took a long time to see them all and the kids were ready to go. Speaking of, and all kids are different, but we quickly found our kids would rather be doing anything than sitting around for a long meal. Mostly quick meals for us. We are trying Garden Grill for breakfast this time. I understand the size of the restaurant makes the characters come by quicker and linger longer. Also, the breakfast being brought to you is nicer than doing a buffet with young kids.

Shows /parades and the like were very popular. We tried to see as many as possible. They loved the various entertainment in Epcot and getting a giant pretzel in Germany. We brought earplugs for the 4 year old for fireworks. He is sensitive to loud noise. They worked great. Also, we found a rest before a late night and a later start the morning after a late night to work best .

Have fun! Let me know if you have any specific questions for this age group.

Oh, the magic ahead for you! While we couldn't swing a Disney vacation until our DDs were 17 and 19, we travelled with our 3 grandchildren when they were between 2 and 4 yrs old. Don't expect your DD to remember the trip, but you certainly will.

One of the things your DD may not be prepared for is the noise. Things are really LOUD. We found our little ones often covering their ears of trying to duck their heads. If she is sensitive to sound, some little earbuds or headphones may help a bit. It is funny, but even a soft stretchy hairband can give some children the sense their ears are being "protected" even though the decibel level is not appreciably decreased.

We have talked often about what were our most successful strategies that trip. Strollers were close to the top of the list. None of the children were prone to meltdowns during those years, but we all still believe the strollers were one of the biggest factors in avoiding them. My heart breaks when I see young ones being (literally) dragged along through the heat and crowds.... and we rested OUR feet while they played in the wonderful areas designed for their age or cooled off in fountains. They walked a good bit, but rode at least 50% of the distance. Important to note that we often walk over 10 miles during an Epcot day and not many 4 yr olds are ready for that.

Snack bags were a big deal. We packed them every day. Each child had his/her own little Disney lunch bag, with juice, fruit, cheese and crackers, and even sandwiches. These attached to their strollers and they could snack when the mood struck them, as long as they were riding. Likewise, they always had water at hand. Saved us a small fortune and the kids never went into that zone of being just a bit too hungry or thirsty to be pleasant. We seldom ordered any kids meals, but just let them graze on whatever appealed from the adult plates. No waste, no pressure to eat what was ordered. Ice cream and popcorn buckets were special treats.

BTW, we stay off site, and had cars. We bought very inexpensive strollers in Wal-Mart, expecting to leave them behind, but my DDs liked them so much that they brought them home on the plane.

Touring plan - we had one, but it was a guideline, not a schedule. The hard and fast rule was that if any part of our party had reached their limit, they could go or be taken back to our vacation house. WDW is a super-stimulating place for all ages, and it can get overwhelming. When it does, it is not fun anymore. No one reached that point, though.

We still congratulate ourselves on the fact that we never carried a child, had to deal with a tantrum, or even an upset tummy. The kids slept soundly through all but the MVMCP fireworks, went to bed easily, and got up bright-eyed each day...and so did we. Granted, we had 3 youngsters, with 4 parents and 2 grandparents, so there were lots of hands on deck. But we also had an 89 yr old great-grandmother along, who required almost as much supervision on her first ever visit!

Expect the best, be flexible, and when something isn't working for you, do something else. Some time at the pool is often as good as a nap. Don't tolerate behaviour on vacation that isn't acceptable at home, and do your best to avoid the triggers, usually hunger, thirst, fatigue, and over-stimulation... ahem... again, important for ALL ages.

Really important note - despite getting used to things, children's reactions to situations can drastically change from day to day at that age. A child who embraces every character one day, may hang back the next, or even cry. Same with rides and attractions. Children's perception is very different from ours and anything from a movie scene to a dream can cast an experience in a new light, and turn something simple into the stuff of nightmares. If this happens, don't waste time coaxing... redirect and move on. This is your vacation, plenty of time for life lessons later. Share the joy and move away from things that don't provide it. It's one of our few opportunities to do this!

Thank you for this!!! What great information / advice!

A great age to go:) We just got back from a trip with a 4 year old and 7 year old. Although my youngest loved the mine train I was suprised that he was nervous on some of the dark rides (winnie the pooh and peter pan). There is so much stimulation for them that it can be overwhelming. Your resort choice will be exciting for a small child but might I also suggest POFQ. There is little Disney decor but the resort is calm and peaceful. We find that a welcome break from the intensity of the parks. They also have a new food court menu with great options and fabulous kids splash pad as well as boat service to Disney Springs. Great for different dinner options and much less stressful than driving or taking a bus. I would also recommend the sister resort , Port Orleans Riverside but only if you can get a preferred room. We prefer the theme there but the resort is much larger.

Our youngest loved the characters but was too shy to speak to them. We like meeting Mickey and Minnie together at Animal Kingdom. We have done and love Crystal Palace for the characters but last time it took a long time to see them all and the kids were ready to go. Speaking of, and all kids are different, but we quickly found our kids would rather be doing anything than sitting around for a long meal. Mostly quick meals for us. We are trying Garden Grill for breakfast this time. I understand the size of the restaurant makes the characters come by quicker and linger longer. Also, the breakfast being brought to you is nicer than doing a buffet with young kids.

Shows /parades and the like were very popular. We tried to see as many as possible. They loved the various entertainment in Epcot and getting a giant pretzel in Germany. We brought earplugs for the 4 year old for fireworks. He is sensitive to loud noise. They worked great. Also, we found a rest before a late night and a later start the morning after a late night to work best .

Have fun! Let me know if you have any specific questions for this age group.

Thanks!!!!!

I went when my DS when he was 2.5, 4 and 5 and the best tip I can give you is to go at their pace and be flexible. Kids that age change their mind often, which really throws you a curveball with all the reservations and fastpasses. When DS was four all he wanted was to do was roller coasters but he was only tall enough to do barnstormer and mine train we went back when he was five and he will only will go on the barnstormer and said roller coasters were scary. You really have to be ready to go with the flow and don't over tire your kid. Do a character meal at a time of day you know your kid will do well and don't plan full days in the parks

I'm currently planning for a trip in May with my almost 3 year old and I just wanted to second the Garden Grill suggestion. I've been researching character breakfasts for a while and this one seems like a winner-family style, quick service, calmer and quieter than the rest, and the restaurant spins! Plus Mickey, Pluto, Chip, and Dale.

I think the resources in the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World is a good start. You can get it at the Library, but honestly it is worth the $12 to just buy it. You need to really evaluate your kid and their tolerance for noise above all else. At 3.5-4.5 my oldest was a MESS, I had no idea how many Disney attractions featured thunder until I took my oldest at 4 years old. We learned the value of noise canceling headphones really quickly.

There are 2 other things to avoid at all costs, the first is don't let anyone get hungry. ALWAYS have snacks at the ready and be prepared for her (and you) to need to snack all day long. Even my non-eaters eat well at Disney. The 2nd theme park pothole is tired. It is always better to leave the park 30 minutes early than 30 minutes late!! I know the evening show looks fun, but it may not be in the cards tonight. You will figure it out but sleeping well and eating long before the kids are hangry, will make everything easier.

The people above have given you solid advice. My boys are 7 and 5 and have been a bunch of times now. Things we learned after the first trip...
1. Bring lots of snacks!!!! Great for while waiting on lines and avoiding meltdowns.
2. Go to Target or a Dollar Store and buy glow sticks, necklaces, etc there. Anything glowing at Disney will costs $10+, whereas you can get 10 glow bracelets for a $1 at these places. We've had a Disney bus breakdown on our way to a park and the fact that we had a box of glow bracelets for our kids and the others on the bus saved everyone a whole bunch of tears.
3. If you want to do the world showcase at Epcot, consider doing Kidcot or pressed pennies at each country. Our boys love going to the world showcase because we make them feel like it's for them, when in actuality, we get to have alcoholic drinks and snacks and feel like adults.
4. Have patience. There are things your daughter will hate that you think she'll love and things she'll love that you think she'll hate. I know for us, we never felt like we had to do everything because we knew we would be back. We try to do something new each trip so that they are all memorable.

Enjoy it!!!! You shouldn't come home feeling like you need a vacation from your vacation!

How exciting! We have done WDW with our preschool age children three times now. I love planning, so I went to the wdwinfo website and read through all of the attractions for each park we would be visiting and made a list for myself of the ones I thought my kids would be most interested in. For some I wasn't sure about, I would look them up on youtube and watch a video of the attraction to help decide whether it would be appealing to my kids or not. Have fun planning!

Thank you all for your sound advice! We made a room reservation for AoA earlier this week to get the ball rolling. We'll be staying in a Little Mermaid room.

I'm so excited for this trip and I know she will have a blast no matter how well (or poorly :P) this trip is planned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter