First time with DP will be the last

DanInMN

Mouseketeer
We tried the DP for the first time last week. I thought I'd relax a bit more if I didn't have to worry about what my family was spending on food. The plan works as advertised, but it did not work for us. My DW refused to even try to understand the plan, or maximize it's use. She kept buying things OOP. She would get angry at me when I tried to encourage her to use the plan. At the end of our trip I discovered she had been paying for most snacks and such, and we had tons of unused credits. We essentially paid double for a lot of stuff.

I agree. I'm a hefty guy and some days I eat much more than what the plan would allow, other days, I'd really like just appetizers, which are not allowed on the plan. There are days I would spend more than than plan costs, and days I would spend less...but never over the course of a trip was my total spending for food equal to or more than what the DDP would have cost me.

You have to be in agreement as a couple (or as a family) before you get the DDP, otherwise you have the scenario you described. That is why I know OOP doesn't work for my family, DH would be reluctant to let me loose at WDW--I have a Mickey bar and confectionary addiction :rotfl2:

It's funny how different people react to DDP. Such as OP's DW. One year my DD's fiancee came along with us to WDW, and I was sure he wasn't going to like our QSDP. How wrong I was. He like the idea of having food pre-paid, then just choosing anything and taking out a plastic pre-paid card. Shazaam!

My DW refused to even try to understand the plan, or maximize it's use. She kept buying things OOP. She would get angry at me when I tried to encourage her to use the plan. At the end of our trip I discovered she had been paying for most snacks and such, and we had tons of unused credits. We essentially paid double for a lot of stuff.

OMG. I totally would have laid the smack down on that (figuratively of course, not literally).

Would you have let her book two sets of plane tickets without some type of agreement?

Stacy

OMG. I totally would have laid the smack down on that (figuratively of course, not literally).

Would you have let her book two sets of plane tickets without some type of agreement?

Stacy

I explained the plan before we left, and she seemed to understand. She even suggested that we bring granola bars for breakfasts, since the DP only covers lunch, a snack, and dinner each day. But when we got down there it was hopeless. We were on vacation and she wasn't going to let plan rules get in the way.

Ever hear the saying "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"? The corollary is "If Momma is happy, the person paying might not be too happy with the bill"! :furious:

We were on vacation and she wasn't going to let plan rules get in the way.

I'm with her! Sometimes I want an appetizer and no dessert. And while I usually have breakfast in the room, I like one or two breakfasts at Olivia's during the course of an 8 day trip. I want to enjoy the food that I want, not what Disney wants to feed me. The plan is not flexible.

I need advice, please.
First trip is next July for 6 days.
Ten people........6 adults, 3 kids, one 10 year old who I put down as an adult.

Right now I booked with the DDP and have already made our ADR's. Since I'm paying for the plan for all 10, I made it clear to the group what is included and what is not included. I figured overall it would be easier in the long run. I agree that the plan is not flexible........I also agree that the cost savings, if any, will not be astronomical........but won't the convenience be worth it?

Appreciate any suggestions?

When we did it the first time there was some confusion on exactly how the plan worked on our kids part. (Our fault for not making it clear enough). So they would spend some of their extra money on snacks when they were off on their own. But the second time we went we had a more detailed conversation with them and they got it. They originally thought that everything had to be bought together.

We ended up fine because we gave them each extra money just for extra snacks if they wanted them.

I can see how some could get confused or overwhelmed if it is a first time.

I love the DDP. I figure we are paying for food, one way or another, might as well prepay it. I tracked our savings on our last trip and we saved over $300 for the 3 of us (2 adults 1 4 year old) over the course of 9 days.

I need advice, please.
First trip is next July for 6 days.
Ten people........6 adults, 3 kids, one 10 year old who I put down as an adult.

Right now I booked with the DDP and have already made our ADR's. Since I'm paying for the plan for all 10, I made it clear to the group what is included and what is not included. I figured overall it would be easier in the long run. I agree that the plan is not flexible........I also agree that the cost savings, if any, will not be astronomical........but won't the convenience be worth it?

Appreciate any suggestions?

it will certainly help you financially if most/all your ADR's are for pricey character buffets.

it will certainly help you financially if most/all your ADR's are for pricey character buffets.

Thanks......I made ADR's at Akershus, 'Ohana, BOG, Tusker House (breakfast),
Mama Melrose/Fantasmic and Hoop Dee Doo Dinner/Show......Does the DDP make sense for those? We have 6 TS credits each so will have to either swap one for a CS or pay OOP for one........can I pay OOP for either BOG or MM?

Thanks......I made ADR's at Akershus, 'Ohana, BOG, Tusker House (breakfast),
Mama Melrose/Fantasmic and Hoop Dee Doo Dinner/Show......Does the DDP make sense for those? We have 6 TS credits each so will have to either swap one for a CS or pay OOP for one........can I pay OOP for either BOG or MM?

Hoop Dee Doo is 2 credits right?

I'm thinking you should pay out of pocket for BOG. You could probably save on dessert there and/or you might just want to order appetizers instead.

Also I'm thinking you could eat a quick service lunch at BOG instead of dinner and save a ton of money.

You should also consider the time of day you arrive. We never do table service on our arrival day, just quick service. You may not need to pay oop for anything, Especiially if you arrive later in the day, and leave early on your departure day.

Thanks for the great ideas.
We are staying 6 days so with the HDD at 2TS and the extra 1TS TH breakfast we will be one TS over.......that is with using a CS the first night for dinner. Not sure if we can go OOP with Mama Melrose and still get the Fantasmic tickets......otherwise we can try to go to BOG one day for lunch and cancel the BOG dinner as you suggested.

Thanks for the great ideas.
We are staying 6 days so with the HDD at 2TS and the extra 1TS TH breakfast we will be one TS over.......that is with using a CS the first night for dinner. Not sure if we can go OOP with Mama Melrose and still get the Fantasmic tickets......otherwise we can try to go to BOG one day for lunch and cancel the BOG dinner as you suggested.

You can certainly do MM with Fantasmic oop but I think it would be cheaper to do BOG for dinner oop. Looking at the prices it seems that MM would run you roughly $35-38 per adult and almost $13 per child. That gets you an entree and dessert.

The steak at $30 is the most expensive entree at BOG, and the dessert is $4, so an adult meal would cost at the most for the dining plan $34 and that is assuming that every adult orders the steak. There are several entrees that are much cheaper. I'm not sure about the cost of the kids meals for dinner at BOG though.

I still think it would be better value going to BOG for lunch. You can get a steak sandwich for $12 or $13.

MM fantasmic package is a great use of your dining credit, you will each get appetizer, entree AND dessert.....plus the convenience of the resevered tickets...we have done it 4 times and think it's really worth it !:)

My next trip will be the first on DDP (free, too). I don't understand people referring to the "convenience" of the plan. Paying out of pocket involved handing someone a plastic card. Isn't it the same on DDP?? If pre-payment is the convenience, then wouldn't gift cards do -- and be more flexible? What am I missing?

My next trip will be the first on DDP (free, too). I don't understand people referring to the "convenience" of the plan. Paying out of pocket involved handing someone a plastic card. Isn't it the same on DDP?? If pre-payment is the convenience, then wouldn't gift cards do -- and be more flexible? What am I missing?

Convenience might not be the correct word. With 10 people it just seems easier to explain what the DDP includes, what it does not and just let everyone order within those parameters. Would OOP be less $$....it might. Do I eat that many desserts....no. The plan itself would certainly be more appealing if it was more flexible but it is what it is.
I do not expect to save tons of $$ using the DDP.....breaking even would be OK. The kids know they get one snack per day (we'll pick up some extra stuff at Walmart); they know how the refillable cup works only at the home resort (we'll p/u a case of water at Walmart). This is my first experience so I do appreciate all your help and guidance....Thanks

Convenience might not be the correct word. With 10 people it just seems easier to explain what the DDP includes, what it does not and just let everyone order within those parameters. Would OOP be less $$....it might. Do I eat that many desserts....no. The plan itself would certainly be more appealing if it was more flexible but it is what it is.
I do not expect to save tons of $$ using the DDP.....breaking even would be OK. The kids know they get one snack per day (we'll pick up some extra stuff at Walmart); they know how the refillable cup works only at the home resort (we'll p/u a case of water at Walmart). This is my first experience so I do appreciate all your help and guidance....Thanks

I think convenience is a good word to describe the DDP. While I don't use it, I look at it as the same as pre-paying for my luggage if I fly an airline with a charge so I don't have to worry about it at the airport. Just like may people prefer the all-inclusive vacations like some destinations offer. Most don't save any money, often they are more expensive than paying OOP, but it is pre-paid.

I agree with the others. I don't think that "convenience" is the correct word. By pre-paying I don't have to worry about coming up with the money (and keeping it from being spent on something else), I can pay months in advance - that is the convenience part for me.

But even more importatnt than the convenience is that with it being prepaid (we are on the DxDDP, so we get app and dessert if we want) is that I don't have to worry about forking over cash which is harder for me. A buffet or prix fixe isn't bad, but if I go to CG or Fultons, having to fork over the cash is a different thing. I would end up with the ravoli that I don't like and wouldn't eat vs paying the extra $17 for the steak which I would love (yes, I have had therapy :cool2: ) This way I can have what ever I think I would like without putting out cash.

Stacy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter