First time ECV user strategic planning help request

I see that you have stayed at Pop Century with a scooter. My niece and I are both renting a scooter and staying at Pop Century, and wonder if there would be room for both scooters in the room? I know that my travel agent said that we could leave them outside our room in the hallway, but I would feel better if we could get both in the room. This is the first time I have ever used one, but my niece has rented one before at Disneyland. I am a little nervous about loading it on the buses, but I figure if I have trouble I could ask the bus driver to help me.
I see that gap has already answered.

I have never stayed at Pop, but at French Quarter, I would be hard pressed to fit two scooters in. Especially if you wanted access to the door at the same time or if you wanted to charge them at the same time.

I've heard of people having them outside of the room. I'm not sure that you are able to charge them outside of the room. Also, leaving it there all night places them in the walkway or the doorway of another room. Our neighbor left theirs outside their room. They had to move it so I could get my scooter into my room.

Hey all - so, my wife is recovering from hip surgery. They said by 12 weeks after it, she should be able to walk pretty much without a limp. We expect that she won't be able to handle the 10-12 miles per day though. So, to make it easier on everyone, we're planning to use an ECV. Never done this before other than at Walmart, etc.

So, how does that work? Get it at the parks? What's that cost? Reserve it from third party before? Any cheaper? What about locking it up when on rides? Shows become a pain?

(Oh, and just thought I'd mention - she'll be one of the types that people scoff at thinking she's abusing the ECV and whatever "perks" come with it, because she'll be getting in and out of it and walking in between use. I'll be curious to watch reactions having read some pretty argumentative threads here on the Dis about ECV use)

Any advice and recommendations are VERY welcome!! Thanks!
I've used an ECV on 3 different visits with no problems at all. Like your wife, I can walk some, but not ALL day at WDW. I had a stroke 2 years ago, and still wear a brace on my left leg for stability. I've rented from Apple Scooters every time, and they have been great. They are a "preferred" vendor with Disney, which I think just means that Disney is willing to hold the scooter at bell services for guests without liability issues. Having a rental from an outside vendor guarantees that she'll have a scooter to use - even if the parks run out (and they do!).

Prices vary. I believe a one-day rental in the parks runs about $40-$50. I paid $175 for a week with Apple 2 years ago.
As far as attractions go, I recommend just planning your fastpasses as you would normally. Also, many rides will let you drive the ECV all the way through the queue to the loading area. Just follow cast member's instructions on where to park, and whether or not to take the key with you (I would definitely not leave any bag or purse in it though). Using a scooter is easier than I ever imagined, and I'm thankful for that!
One more thing... I know Apple will drop off and pick up at other non-Disney hotels/resorts in the area.
Have a great trip!

I see that gap has already answered.

I have never stayed at Pop, but at French Quarter, I would be hard pressed to fit two scooters in. Especially if you wanted access to the door at the same time or if you wanted to charge them at the same time.

I've heard of people having them outside of the room. I'm not sure that you are able to charge them outside of the room. Also, leaving it there all night places them in the walkway or the doorway of another room. Our neighbor left theirs outside their room. They had to move it so I could get my scooter into my room.

Mary, just run down to the Front Desk/Concierge and ask nicely for the table and chairs to be removed during your stay. Don't call on the room phone - that goes to a call center that is not at POFQ.

With the table and chairs out of the way, you should be able to easily park 2 ECVs in a POFQ room! :)

Mary, just run down to the Front Desk/Concierge and ask nicely for the table and chairs to be removed during your stay. Don't call on the room phone - that goes to a call center that is not at POFQ.

With the table and chairs out of the way, you should be able to easily park 2 ECVs in a POFQ room! :)
Plenty of room if you move them totally out of the room. Otherwise, there isn't enough room. Also, the plug is by where the table goes. Which means both scooters have to be near that area.

I didn't need to call anyone. They saw me pulling up. But people should keep this in mind. It sounds like a great plan to park outside of your room. But if you do that, think about how your neighbors are going to get out of their room. Think about the possibility of an emergency, and having the scooter blocking someone.

I had a similar issue - I had a knee replacement, 4 months ago and am nowhere near being 100%. We had a day in Magic Kingdom planned and really debating letting everyone else go and I'd stay back. But, I went. We called Disney the day before and while they can't reserve ecv, we were told if we arrived 15 minutes prior to park opening (on a non extra magi hour day), that there shouldn't be a problem renting an ecv. So, we left plenty in time to get there 15 minutes a head of time, but, it was an unexpectedly busy day a MK. We sat in the line of cars tomgetbintonMK for 1.5 hours. When we, finally got to the park and rented the ecv, the cm told me I was lucky because after me, there was only one left. It is about $20 more to rent it at the park, but, if you are not staying at a local hotel/condo and only need it for one or two days, the $20 is worth the convenience. And tell your wife not to worry about what others think. Everyone else is so wrapped up in their own little worlds, that they are not paying attention to you. Trust me, she'll find out, once she starts driving ecv through the parks - that nobody is even aware of you on the scooter. People are totally oblivious to what is going on outside of there little bubble.

We'll only be in the parks for 2 days. I'm seeing elsewhere that we may run into a minimum days issue. How early do we need to be at parks to rent from there?
I think if you're only doing two days in the parks, I'd do an in-park rental. Even though the per-day cost might be higher than off-site, you might run into a minimum days issue, as you said. Plus, it can be a hassle to get the scooter on and off the buses. For that short a time, I'don't just rent in the parks.

Just get.there pretty early in the morning, so you don't have to worry about them running out. Are you going during a really busy time, like Spring break? If so, the earlier you get to the parks, the better.

3 main things will happen at lines

1 both FP and stand by is fully assessable so you will go on just like every one else ( yah you do not have to worry about people thinking you are abuseing the system)

2 some where in the line is not assessable ( splash montian is one of them) in those lines you will enter with what ever you have ( FP or stand by) and at the point you you can( she) can not go they will take you another way there will be a CM there to tell you. and your wife and 5 other people will be able to join her. ( your wait really should be about the same as every one else but some times longer some times shorter)

3 the line is not assessable at all you you will get a time to come back latter to ride I think there are about 3-5 rides in all of Disney line this. or if you have a FP you will be able to get right on the ride ( well you may have a wait but it would be like if you could go in the FP line)

I think this covered about 99% of what might happen in lines for you.

very bottom of this page is maps for people with disabilities you should be able to look and see what you ned to do at each rides ( as fair as lines go

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

this talk about if she must transfer out of an ECV or not

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

I would look at both closer to your trip too just incase somethings changes and for the most part the CM at the ride will let you know what you need to do. even thought I go with my friend a lot we tend to smile at the CM when enter what ever line just incase they made a change since the last time we were there.
Thanks for all the info and especially the link! Our next trip my mom will be using an ECV and trying to plan ahead of everything I need to know (or as much as I can know ahead of time!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter