First time ECV user strategic planning help request

starjazz

DIS Veteran
Hey all - so, my wife is recovering from hip surgery. They said by 12 weeks after it, she should be able to walk pretty much without a limp. We expect that she won't be able to handle the 10-12 miles per day though. So, to make it easier on everyone, we're planning to use an ECV. Never done this before other than at Walmart, etc.

So, how does that work? Get it at the parks? What's that cost? Reserve it from third party before? Any cheaper? What about locking it up when on rides? Shows become a pain?

(Oh, and just thought I'd mention - she'll be one of the types that people scoff at thinking she's abusing the ECV and whatever "perks" come with it, because she'll be getting in and out of it and walking in between use. I'll be curious to watch reactions having read some pretty argumentative threads here on the Dis about ECV use)

Any advice and recommendations are VERY welcome!! Thanks!

It is less expensive to rent from an outside vendor than from Disney. Disney also runs out of ECVs frequently. There are several threads going now on vendors. Prices are similar but call each to check for specials. Preferred vendors can leave scooters with bell services if staying on property. Other vendors you must meet them to pickup scooter. I use Walker Mobility myself.

You do not lock up a scooter in the parks. Just park with the strollers or where a cast member directs you and take your key. I have never heard of a scooter being stolen but do not leave valuables in parked scooter's basket.

She will get the looks and just needs to ignore them. I expect she will still limp or walk stiff at 12 weeks. I did. I did not use the DIS pass. Just used fast pass and good planning. There really aren't any perks using a scooter. Stress is definitely higher due to people who walk in front of you without looking.

I do not find shows to be a pain with a scooter. (I had to go back to one for other health problems.) She can park it like for rides or stay on it and allow someone else a seat.

Hope you have a great time.

Honestly, if you have read the argument threads, you probably know the ins and outs of renting.

But, it is cheaper to rent off site. Simply take the key when you leave the scooter for a ride or restaurant. And decide early if you even want to take the scooter to a show.

We'll only be in the parks for 2 days. I'm seeing elsewhere that we may run into a minimum days issue. How early do we need to be at parks to rent from there?

If we do get an offsite rental, how does that work with the rooms and transport to and fro? Are there special buses we need to wait for to load up, etc.? Where are they kept at the resorts? In room?

To give you an idea of how much less expensive, it cost at least $50 a day to rent just inside the park from Disney. Outside costs roughly $31/day. And renting from Disney doesn't give you the help getting back to the hotel. On the last couple trips, it's been so nice to be able to ride my ECV back to BCV from Epcot. ANd riding it to the bus stop at the other parks. I've rented both from Disney and outside the parks, and outside, having the ECV full time, was far preferable to me.

1 Hey all - so, my wife is recovering from hip surgery. They said by 12 weeks after it, she should be able to walk pretty much without a limp. We expect that she won't be able to handle the 10-12 miles per day though. So, to make it easier on everyone, we're planning to use an ECV. Never done this before other than at Walmart, etc.

2 So, how does that work?

3 Get it at the parks?

4 What's that cost?

5 Reserve it from third party before?

6Any cheaper?

7What about locking it up when on rides?

8 Shows become a pain?

9 (Oh, and just thought I'd mention - she'll be one of the types that people scoff at thinking she's abusing the ECV and whatever "perks" come with it, because she'll be getting in and out of it and walking in between use. I'll be curious to watch reactions having read some pretty argumentative threads here on the Dis about ECV use)

1 I wish your wife well in her recover but I think you are right she will not be able to do the walking at Disney

2 you need to decide what kind on mobility device she need ( witch you have already done)

3 if you get it at the park they do run out of ECV even on slower days

4 depends on where you get it for how long

5 I would then you know you have it

6 from what I hear they are cheeper if you rent from a third party

7 do not do this ( the CM will cut the lock I have seen it done) just take the key with you and anything you do not want to walk away. my friend has an ECV and we do leave small thing in it that if it walked away we would not be that said like a had towel for me to sit on some snacks things like that)

8 nope they are not most of the time ECV go in first

9 my friend is one of those ( and she dose not look disabled at all) that will get up. and walk around or in some case if we are in line will use the ECV ( I can not when walking round Disney because of a vision problem but can in lines) no one has ever said a word to use intact most people are to into there own vacation to worry about you ( no offense to you)

Thanks to the fact that 90% of the lines are wheel chair ECV accessable you really do not get any perks any more

3 main things will happen at lines

1 both FP and stand by is fully assessable so you will go on just like every one else ( yah you do not have to worry about people thinking you are abuseing the system)

2 some where in the line is not assessable ( splash montian is one of them) in those lines you will enter with what ever you have ( FP or stand by) and at the point you you can( she) can not go they will take you another way there will be a CM there to tell you. and your wife and 5 other people will be able to join her. ( your wait really should be about the same as every one else but some times longer some times shorter)

3 the line is not assessable at all you you will get a time to come back latter to ride I think there are about 3-5 rides in all of Disney line this. or if you have a FP you will be able to get right on the ride ( well you may have a wait but it would be like if you could go in the FP line)

I think this covered about 99% of what might happen in lines for you.

very bottom of this page is maps for people with disabilities you should be able to look and see what you ned to do at each rides ( as fair as lines go

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

this talk about if she must transfer out of an ECV or not

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

I would look at both closer to your trip too just incase somethings changes and for the most part the CM at the ride will let you know what you need to do. even thought I go with my friend a lot we tend to smile at the CM when enter what ever line just incase they made a change since the last time we were there.

To give you an idea of how much less expensive, it cost at least $50 a day to rent just inside the park from Disney. Outside costs roughly $31/day. And renting from Disney doesn't give you the help getting back to the hotel. On the last couple trips, it's been so nice to be able to ride my ECV back to BCV from Epcot. ANd riding it to the bus stop at the other parks. I've rented both from Disney and outside the parks, and outside, having the ECV full time, was far preferable to me.

Do only certain buses have the ability to handle the ECV's? Or do they all? Any inconveniences of having it outside of the parks?

Do only certain buses have the ability to handle the ECV's? Or do they all? Any inconveniences of having it outside of the parks?
I think all buss can take at lest 2 ECV if there are two people with ECV before you most of the time they will get another buss for you. it has never been a problem for my friend and I and when I go alone most of the time there are no other ECV on the buss ( I can not stand the beeping noise the bus makes, so I know when there is an ECV or wheel chair, but I total get the fact that some need it. I am just saying I notice it.) I would be surprised if you ever had more then one other ECV/ wheel chair with you but if you have to be someone at a certen time I would give your self a little extra time and if the resort has more then one stop I would ask to be close to the first stop.

Based on you being an onsite resort guest you will be using Disney transportation; unless, you have a car. A newbie getting a scooter on and off the Disney transportation is challenging. The buses are the hardest. When you have an off site scooter this is what you have to do; unless, you go by car to the parks. Taking your own car to the park involves getting the scooter in and out of the car.

Using an off site scooter rental means you need to battery charge the scooter overnight. You have to get the scooter in and out of your room. There are few deluxe resorts where you can keep the scooter in the hallway. If something goes wrong with the scooter you will have a long wait getting your company to service you. Most outside vendors require a 3-day minimum. The per day charge is cheaper with an offsite rental. If you need a bigger scooter (weight considerations) then an offsite rental will cost a little more. The more heavy duty scooters have two batteries which is better if you want to stay in the park for a long day.

Park scooters are more heavy duty and they cost more. You have to get to the park on your own accord. If you have a breakdown it is easier to get a replacement if they are not sold out. If sold out you are put on a waiting list and they will call you when one is available. If you leave the park for a while and come back later you will have a receipt to get a park scooter again. This is based on availability when you go back.

Park scooters are more heavy duty and they cost more. You have to get to the park on your own accord. If you have a breakdown it is easier to get a replacement if they are not sold out. If sold out you are put on a waiting list and they will call you when one is available. If you leave the park for a while and come back later you will have a receipt to get a park scooter again. This is based on availability when you go back.

We had this happen to us three time in September. It wasn't a terribly busy day and we went from EPCOT to the Magic Kingdom. We still had our receipt and went to go get another ECV. They were sold out so they gave us a wheelchair to use in the meantime. That was more of a pain in the neck than anything. After it happened two more times travelling from one park to another, we decided that we will rent one from and offsite vendor. I don't want to be a burden to my son or his friend and would rather use an ECV.

I've never had anyone give me a dirty look. OF course I've never really bothered to care. LOL! Except at the busses..

But like another poster told me, you are never going to see these people again. So, who cares what they think. The important thing is that she has a way to be comfortable....

Everyone has different experiences. One secret with park hopping is to go after the parade ends at MK. Many leave and most of the time you can secure a scooter.

At HS we had to wait an hour to get another scooter. We shopped and stayed close to the rental place.

A trick with Epcot is getting one at the International Gateway.

We have had more successful times getting another park scooter than not.

I will say we have had problems with offsite scooters breaking down. To me that's the worse experience. We only use featured vendors and we still have problems, here and there.

I've always taken mine in the room to charge and had plenty of space. We stay at Pop Century 90% of the time. I have also seen plenty of them charging in the hall there overnight, so it's not just the luxury resorts that you can do this.

Also, if renting from the parks, there is still a long walk to and from the buses and your room. Add to that standing in the lines for the buses and that may be too much for your wife with recent hip surgery.

All of the buses carry at least 2 ECV and on our most recent trip, I saw many that were equipped to take three. Tell your wife to not worry, just do what she needs to do and enjoy vacation! I have never noticed anyone giving me dirty looks. In fact, I've had people be exceptionally nice to me while riding one.

Last edited:
...(Oh, and just thought I'd mention - she'll be one of the types that people scoff at thinking she's abusing the ECV and whatever "perks" come with it, because she'll be getting in and out of it and walking in between use. I'll be curious to watch reactions having read some pretty argumentative threads here on the Dis about ECV use)

Yeah. I've seen those "scooter weasel" posts LOL. There's another Disney-related site out there that is even worse, and the open hostility towards disabled and differently abled folks is rampant there. Whatever. My physical therapist calls anyone she isn't treating a "TAB" Stands for Temporarily Able Bodied, because as she loves to point out, accidents, stupidity, or old age... at some point or another almost *everyone* winds up finding out what it's like.

But, back to your concern.

Please, please, please tell your wife that the chances of her ever seeing anyone from her time at WDW again? So small, so tiny that she has a better chance of getting struck by lightning AND winning the lottery on the same day. Seriously.

Things have gotten better these last few years - probably simply because folks are more accepting now. And like others here, I don't care about any dirty looks - if I do catch one someone glaring at me, I go out of my way to smile and wave at them! ;)

If anyone should happen to say anything about how "lucky" you are to be able to board the bus first, just remind them you also get off last, and everyone from the bus is long gone and in the Parks (or their room at the Resort) by the time you get off the bus and going.

Don't worry - I promise, your wife on an ECV at WDW is a non-event.

Last tip: use that "Search..." box (with the magnifying glass) up there in the upper right part of the page, and search for "first time ECV" (or similar) to see lots of posts with good tips and info!

I'm so glad to hear that your wife is healing up - and I hope that you all have a truly Magical trip! :)

Definitely rent from off-site company and have it delivered to the resort. It is a long walk to the park from the bus. It is not hard to get on the bus and if you have trouble the driver will usually help. I suggest going to a store before your trip and trying them out. However the rentals are smaller and easier to use. I am renting from Buenos Vista for $31 a day. Forget the stares, most people are nice, forget the others. I take my ECV right into the shows and sit on it, usually at back or right up front. Also take it in any line they allow. My issues are arthritis in my knee and back so not visible.

Definitely rent from off-site company.

I agree with this 100% if you are worried or your wife is worried about the buss then take a few minutes to drive the ECV around the resort to get a feel of it ( how it stops, turns, and Extra,) when getting on the buss you will go up a small ramp so leave enough room so that you can adjust for this. then you will make a 90 degree turn practice this at the hotel find a creck on the ground and make a 90 degree turn on it. you will then drive straight pass the folded down set ( the buss driver will do this) and then back up and turn into it ( again you can practice this at the hotel) by finding a curb or the side of the side walk, but something about 2 or 3 feet bigger then your ECV ( this will give you an idea of how much space you will have , and the thing can be a bag a drink cup anything that will not break if you hit it) be about one ECV with from the things you put on the ground drive forward, then back up ( like parrall parking a car into your spot ) the drive will normally help you. most of the time they will not drive it for you but they will say turn your wheel this way back up another 3 inches move forward some and turn your wheel this way, ok good. things like this) another thing go slow if you feel you are better at this then you can drive the ECV on the bus. I find ( when my fiend would rent an ECV) that just take 5 or so minute to do this at the hotel ( to get a feel for the indvual ECV) it really made the trip so much better as we ( she ) found each ECV has its own little personality ( as she put it)

I hop this helped. if you were concerned about the busses

Edit I might be off on how much space you have front and back when you are parking on the bus it might be more then I think ( it might be like one and a half times bigger then the ECV)

Last edited:
Yeah. I've seen those "scooter weasel" posts LOL. There's another Disney-related site out there that is even worse, and the open hostility towards disabled and differently abled folks is rampant there. Whatever. My physical therapist calls anyone she isn't treating a "TAB" Stands for Temporarily Able Bodied, because as she loves to point out, accidents, stupidity, or old age... at some point or another almost *everyone* winds up finding out what it's like.

But, back to your concern.

Please, please, please tell your wife that the chances of her ever seeing anyone from her time at WDW again? So small, so tiny that she has a better chance of getting struck by lightning AND winning the lottery on the same day. Seriously.

Things have gotten better these last few years - probably simply because folks are more accepting now. And like others here, I don't care about any dirty looks - if I do catch one someone glaring at me, I go out of my way to smile and wave at them! ;)

If anyone should happen to say anything about how "lucky" you are to be able to board the bus first, just remind them you also get off last, and everyone from the bus is long gone and in the Parks (or their room at the Resort) by the time you get off the bus and going.

Don't worry - I promise, your wife on an ECV at WDW is a non-event.

Last tip: use that "Search..." box (with the magnifying glass) up there in the upper right part of the page, and search for "first time ECV" (or similar) to see lots of posts with good tips and info!

I'm so glad to hear that your wife is healing up - and I hope that you all have a truly Magical trip! :)

This is such an excellent post. It's so true that everyone walking around on their own two legs are TABs. I love that.

And, if the lines are long on the way back to the resort, they usually have the disabled spot chained up so you have to wait in the regular line, on your ECV, for your turn to get on a bus. Yes, you will load first, but after having waited your turn.

I've never heard anyone say anything about us being lucky to load first. If I did, I am the type to point out how lucky they are to be able to walk. Because, honestly, people who need EVCs and wheelchairs would give just about anything to not need them.

My favorite line here of this quote is "Don't worry - I promise, your wife on an ECV at WDW is a non-event." This couldn't be more true than it is. I stressed and worried about the first time I rented one, for months in advance. Total waste of emotion. As mamabunny said, it's a complete non-event.

My physical therapist calls anyone she isn't treating a "TAB" Stands for Temporarily Able Bodied, because as she loves to point out, accidents, stupidity, or old age... at some point or another almost *everyone* winds up finding out what it's like. :)

Amen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter