First stay @ SSR..observations

The peppermint pedicure has become a must do activity for my wife every time we go now. I'd like to thank my guide for pointing out the spa to my wife (she even suggested we tailor our DVC tour around a spa appt).

Turf Club is going to become our next must do activity. After being so disappointed with much of the food offerings at DtD, we've decided it is the best food in the DtD area. We'll only stop at Artist Palette just to restock the fridge when we run out of something.

Hi guys, LOVE the comments on here, they literally crack me up. I really liked the comment about free internet, isn't that the truth :lmao:

We saw UP last night and it was absolutely wonderful!! It was a very odd story line but Pixar pulled it off again. I will warn you though that there are some very sad parts in the movie. I sobbed a couple times, so much so I had to take off my glasses. It was worth the $60+ it cost for us to see it, I thoroughly enjoyed it :thumbsup2

Another great thing about the movie is...drumroll please...they showed us the Toy Story 3 trailer (well kinda..). It FINALLY has a release date!! June 18th 2010. Seems like we've waited a lifetime for this sequel. The theatre literally clapped and whistled. My husband and I bet on it making more than Nemo; which I think it will do easily. Looks like I know when to book our summer 2010 trip now :banana:

Spent the day at Epcot, and FINALLY a day without rain. It was super hot though, but truly wonderful. I will be sad when Flower & Garden ends tomorrow, it has been great!

We are going to go see Wishes tonight. I truly cannot believe we are more than halfway done with our trip and I have yet to see fireworks. That's usually one of the first things on my list. This vacation has been different in many ways, and it's all been great.

We have reservations @ Turf club on Monday & Weds. I've read nothing but positive reviews, I'll post ours when we dine there.

To PP, the $65 was for the pedicure & tip. My massage on Monday will Likely be around $250 :scared1: shhhh don't telld DH.lol..:rolleyes1
Off to enjoy a little nap and then off to Magic Kingdom. Will post again tomorrow!

Peppermint pedicure??? Sounds like an item for my must do list! Not looking forward to the snakes, though. :scared1: Has anyone rented the sports equipment at SSR? Says there is tennis, shuffleboard and golf onsite...looking forward to trying some in December.

I kind of like the looks of the DVC Special - Swedish Massage, Radiance Aromatherapy Facial, Spa Manicure and Spa Pedicure ($288 + tax and tip).

I will like to answer a couple of things from the beginning. The core buildings are from the failed Disney Institute. There will not be burgers at Artist Palette because there is no way to cook them there. Good planning huh. :rolleyes: In Dec we spent a week at SSR and then VWL. The same food at SSR looked like it needed to go into the trash. I just looked bad. The same thing at WL looked great go figure. When SSR first open I complained about the food and was told if I did not like it to go to DTD. I wrote them up. Until they try to fix the food at SSR it will stay very bad there. I believe they added an additional section to SSR because DVC was selling so fast.

They grill steaks at the Turf Club which is right near Artist Palette. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't cook hamburgers there.

I will like to answer a couple of things from the beginning. The core buildings are from the failed Disney Institute. There will not be burgers at Artist Palette because there is no way to cook them there. Good planning huh. :rolleyes: In Dec we spent a week at SSR and then VWL. The same food at SSR looked like it needed to go into the trash. I just looked bad. The same thing at WL looked great go figure. When SSR first open I complained about the food and was told if I did not like it to go to DTD. I wrote them up. Until they try to fix the food at SSR it will stay very bad there. I believe they added an additional section to SSR because DVC was selling so fast.

I ate at Artists Palette 3 or 4 times and thought everything was very good. I wasn't that impressed with Turf Club, but I'm calling it an off night since everyone else raves over it. But I thought everything at AP was good, both breakfasts and flatbreads. No better or worse than Roaring Forks.

I talked to member satisfaction and that is what they said. I said the same thing as you did. They say the Turf Club kitchen is I the back. We love SSR and I hate AP. Maybe someday they will fix it. I even asked for meatball subs be added. No luck, it makes too much sense for them to do that so they wont.

I'm in the camp of people that feels AP could be improved upon. I have no problem getting a bite there one time during the stay, but that is usually all I want. In fact, I think I've always gotten the same soup & turkey sandwich combo when I've ate there. More "food court" type fare would definitely be an improvement.

Another great thing about the movie is...drumroll please...they showed us the Toy Story 3 trailer (well kinda..). It FINALLY has a release date!! June 18th 2010.

When we were there Mother's Day week, there was a poster for it with the release date in the Animation attraction at DHS. Not that the animation thing isn't fun, but seeing the date was the highlight of the attraction for me. ;)

I am so glad you are having a great trip. In 8 days we will be leaving for a two week stay at SSR. I have only been to DW once and my hubby and son have never been. We are very excited. I have never had a pedicure before and the peppermint one sounds heavenly. :cloud9: Will the spa take a disney gc?

Coke is the exclusive product at Disney and in return offers Disney their products for FREE...Soda is very inexpensive and it is quite the advertisement for them, much cheaper than the Super Bowl Ads. Not that I am saying I agree with using old mugs but hey if the CM's are telling people that they can use them is it wrong?:confused3

I'm in the camp of people that feels AP could be improved upon. I have no problem getting a bite there one time during the stay, but that is usually all I want. In fact, I think I've always gotten the same soup & turkey sandwich combo when I've ate there. More "food court" type fare would definitely be an improvement.

Nooooo! They already have hotdogs and chicken fingers for those who want "food court" fare. I like AP because they have unique offerings. I love to get a buffalo chicken flatbread and eat it at one of the shaded tables by the pool!

And on the flip side.....the resorts that have "food court" type offerings get requests to offer "something different". You just can't please everyone.

I do agree that the service flow could be improved, and expansion of the food service area is a good idea.

I recently came back from my second stay at SS. I will admit, that my first time there, I thought it was beautiful, but nothing really stood out. I think I was comparing it too much to other resorts, that are more convenient to the parks. That being said, I really enjoyed it this past May. The grounds are so peaceful and the backdrop of Downtown Disney adds to the magic. I stayed at Congress Park and really enjoyed being able to walk back and forth to Downtown Disney. I went out early one morning and walked the grounds and it was so peaceful. There were bunny rabbits running all around and the aromas from the flowers were beautiful. I also enjoy the addition of the balloon. I enjoyed watching it go up and down from my room or while I walked along the lake. I found my room to be very cozy. There is a very warm feeling to the rooms. I also own at Boardwalk and love that too, but I must admit, I really did enjoy the peacefulness and beauty of Saratoga Springs. Two different resorts, both with a lot to offer. I think that people have to stop comparing it to other resorts, and really learn to appreciate the beauty of it.

I recently came back from my second stay at SS. I will admit, that my first time there, I thought it was beautiful, but nothing really stood out. I think I was comparing it too much to other resorts, that are more convenient to the parks. That being said, I really enjoyed it this past May. The grounds are so peaceful and the backdrop of Downtown Disney adds to the magic. I stayed at Congress Park and really enjoyed being able to walk back and forth to Downtown Disney. I went out early one morning and walked the grounds and it was so peaceful. There were bunny rabbits running all around and the aromas from the flowers were beautiful. I also enjoy the addition of the balloon. I enjoyed watching it go up and down from my room or while I walked along the lake. I found my room to be very cozy. There is a very warm feeling to the rooms. I also own at Boardwalk and love that too, but I must admit, I really did enjoy the peacefulness and beauty of Saratoga Springs. Two different resorts, both with a lot to offer. I think that people have to stop comparing it to other resorts, and really learn to appreciate the beauty of it.

Great post! I was soothed just reading it, because that is what we enjoy about SSR also. :goodvibes
The theme is health and wellness and i really feel it when Im there, It is really inviting and encouraging me to get out outdoors, walk and pamper myself.
I find I compare the others to SSR because we enjoy our resort as much as the parks if not more.

That's how I feel about the Polynesian. It is so peaceful. There is alot more wildlife running around at the Poly than I ever can see at Animal Kingdom Lodge, besides the really big animals, of course. Even the Wilderness Lodge has a variety of little wildlife creatures running around which I find I actually miss when at AKL. It even makes me miss those darn, noisy seagulls - well, kind of.
:)

So we are back to our 2nd home (Disney is our first) and I wanted to post final observations for anyone interested.

#1, I LOVE the location of SSR!!
We always rent a car, and this year we didnt get the dining plan, so the location to DTD and proximity to the Crossroads shopping center was AMAZING!!! I tend to go to DTD a lot, but once I found all the additional restaurants/resources (Walgreens!) so close, I was hooked! Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you how AMAZING the pizza & salad @ Giordano's is:thumbsup2
#2, The grounds are beautiful and so serene @ SSR, and I am totally hooked! The landscaping is still maturing, and I'll bet in 5-8 years it will be unmatched
#3, My kids are absolutely ADDICTED to the activities @ Community Hall. There were so many activities all the time, I literally had to drag them away to go to the parks-very surprised. I also HAVE to mention Sundee, one of the CM's for the activities, she was simply the best I've ever seen, my kids looked forward to showing her their treasures and crafts.

All in all, there are definitely negatives to the resort (mainly Artist's palette and other minor details) but the positives completely make up for them. We will definitely be staying @ SSR again, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I can say I would never have chosen to stay on my own points, but am so happy I got to with my DP's. It truly is wonderful and exceeded my expectations!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the update!!

Glad you enjoyed it so much. Sundee is one of the newer CM's at CH. She is great and very involved. I believe she spent many years at FW leading the campfires and other activities so a definite asset. We think CH at SSR has some of the best CM's on property.:goodvibes They are really involved and interact with the members, they dont just stand behind the counter and issue items.

They are like family and even when not staying there, we stop by CH to say hello to all our rec and Ch friends. My boys love it too. They would much rather schedule play dates and activities at CH than go to the parks. I have to compromise and we visit the parks once or twice and the rest of the time we enjoy the resort.

I think the Premium Outlets is the 5th park!:rotfl: Love that place. Lots of great deals. I can get there from SSR and back before Dh even knows Im gone! LOL!:rotfl:

Does Giordano's deliver? We check into AKV tomorrow and not on DDP either and that sounds really good!

Thanks for the update!!

Glad you enjoyed it so much. Sundee is one of the newer CM's at CH. She is great and very involved. I believe she spent many years at FW leading the campfires and other activities so a definite asset. We think CH at SSR has some of the best CM's on property.:goodvibes They are really involved and interact with the members, they dont just stand behind the counter and issue items.

They are like family and even when not staying there, we stop by CH to say hello to all our rec and Ch friends. My boys love it too. They would much rather schedule play dates and activities at CH than go to the parks. I have to compromise and we visit the parks once or twice and the rest of the time we enjoy the resort.

I think the Premium Outlets is the 5th park!:rotfl: Love that place. Lots of great deals. I can get there from SSR and back before Dh even knows Im gone! LOL!:rotfl:

Does Giordano's deliver? We check into AKV tomorrow and not on DDP either and that sounds really good!

I don't know if Giordano's delivers, I would definitely find out (I could have sworn I read a post indicating they did deliver, but I'm not positive). They have, bar none, the best Caesar Salad I've ever had (simple) and my boys wanted to go back just for salad every single day (neither of them liked caesar salad before). The pizza did take 45 minutes to bake, which they tell you before you order, so if I went again, I would call ahead to have them get my pizza started, just fyi.

Also, another place we went to a couple times was Perkins. Another surprise to us because our Perkins in Denver is not that great (being kind here..lol). But they had the "kids eat free" deal for all meals (bfast, lunch, dinner) so we went. The breakfast was absolutely fantastic and the service was great too. We saved quite a bit of money there, and all really enjoyed it. The boys loved getting a free cookie after their meal too and the pies are to die for.

My boys wanted me to add that the poolside movies were great too, which they were. Somehow so relaxing and enjoyable while swimming :thumbsup2

As far as I can tell from the posted menus, there is only one sandwich that looks the same for both AP and RF. Other than that one item, the rest of the menu is totally different from the other.

We have eaten at SSR AP and Turf Club several times and haven't had a complaint yet about the food and my sil is REALLY picky. Now if we're talking about the AP "traffic flow", that's a whole nuther subject.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter