First solo trip & first MNSSHP

curiouserandcuriouser1989

Epcot Egypt Pavilion Advocate
Im going on my first solo trip Oct 28-nov 1, and can't wait to experience WDW exactly how I want to for the first time! I haven't decided on a meal before the party yet, but I'll be using that day for Disney springs and resort exploring before the party, and I'll be trying to stick to a budget since I'll have a higher priced party ticket. This trip will be my first time for F&W and my first MNSSHP so I wanted to ask those of you who have more experience if you have any tips to make the party the best I can.

Im going on my first solo trip Oct 28-nov 1, and can't wait to experience WDW exactly how I want to for the first time! I haven't decided on a meal before the party yet, but I'll be using that day for Disney springs and resort exploring before the party, and I'll be trying to stick to a budget since I'll have a higher priced party ticket. This trip will be my first time for F&W and my first MNSSHP so I wanted to ask those of you who have more experience if you have any tips to make the party the best I can.

Did you want to take pics with any characters at MNSSHP? The lines can be quite long. For Jack & Sally for example, people start lining up well before the 7pm party start time. Cant remember how early but i think 6pm-ish?

Upon entry at magic kingdom, they give you a map and a treat bag. I study the map quickly and note all the treat stops. I love the dapper dans, so i check out their location and schedule. During the party i pretty much see the parade, fireworks, and collect treats. While collecting treats if the line for a character is short, i'll wait to take a pic. But if its too long i dont bother. As for rides, i always do haunted mansion of course....i just love the way the CM are dressed and their makeup job. Last trip i did the photopass pic, the one with the headless horseman (i think that was at front entrance)...the one at the haunted mansion....and also the one on main street with ghost apparitions dancing. its pretty neat.

BTW, with the mnsshp ticket, they let you into the magic kingdom at 4pm. So that gives you 3 extra hours.

I wanted to add, if youre at dis.springs and on a budget....Earl of Sandwich is the best place to eat. Theyre pretty inexpensive and their sandwiches are pretty good. Youre going at a good time...weather is really nice. I was in Disney on a solo trip the last week of Oct in 2015 (last year i went at the beginning of Oct). Its my fave time to go due to weather. Crowds are surprisingly high thou. And due to MNSSHP several nights per weeks, MK closes at 7pm which means on the nights with no mnsshp, its so packed! Obviously its because there are fewer days which MK is open late...so everyone crams into MK to take advantage of the late hours.

Did you want to take pics with any characters at MNSSHP? The lines can be quite long. For Jack & Sally for example, people start lining up well before the 7pm party start time. Cant remember how early but i think 6pm-ish?

Upon entry at magic kingdom, they give you a map and a treat bag. I study the map quickly and note all the treat stops. I love the dapper dans, so i check out their location and schedule. During the party i pretty much see the parade, fireworks, and collect treats. While collecting treats if the line for a character is short, i'll wait to take a pic. But if its too long i dont bother. As for rides, i always do haunted mansion of course....i just love the way the CM are dressed and their makeup job. Last trip i did the photopass pic, the one with the headless horseman (i think that was at front entrance)...the one at the haunted mansion....and also the one on main street with ghost apparitions dancing. its pretty neat.

BTW, with the mnsshp ticket, they let you into the magic kingdom at 4pm. So that gives you 3 extra hours.

I know there are some character meets that are unique, but it's not a huge priority for me so I might do the same thing. I don't currently have memory maker, but I have a feeling a few of those photopass opportunites might be too good to pass up!

I had seen the 4 pm admission before, and I'm glad to hear from more and more people that t does happen even if it might not be official, since that will be my chance to do some things in MK before the party starts. I had a feeling Hainted Mansion would be impossible to skip during the mnsshp!

I wanted to add, if youre at dis.springs and on a budget....Earl of Sandwich is the best place to eat. Theyre pretty inexpensive and their sandwiches are pretty good. Youre going at a good time...weather is really nice. I was in Disney on a solo trip the last week of Oct in 2015 (last year i went at the beginning of Oct). Its my fave time to go due to weather. Crowds are surprisingly high thou. And due to MNSSHP several nights per weeks, MK closes at 7pm which means on the nights with no mnsshp, its so packed! Obviously its because there are fewer days which MK is open late...so everyone crams into MK to take advantage of the late hours.

I anticipated some higher crowd levels since the parties are more often, but I will definitely need to factor that into my other park days. I was hoping it would be a good weather time, especially since I'm trying to figure out how to make my costume in a way that won't be too hot I didn't get to try Earl of Sandwich last time. I figure Disney springs would be the best to get a good meal before I go back to get ready for the party.

Thanks for the advice!!

dont wait till the last minute to get your mnsshp tickets as the dates right around halloween do sell out. i believe the halloween night sold by mid sept last year and the others in early oct

Haunted Mansiom during the party is a must ride. The staff get dressed up and it is so much fun. Also, if you can- wear a costume. The parties are so much more fun in costume. Does not have to be elaborate. Official entry is 4 pm, there is a lot of special food that is offered just during the party so a big meal before is not needed. Definitely go for the pics. There are so many cool characters you cannot get at other times and the lines can ebb and flow a lot. I once waited for Jack/ Sally pre party for over an hour. During the party my friend wanted a picture so we went back to check the line- there was none! You never know...also, catch the parade. Even if you are not a parade fan.

Haunted Mansiom during the party is a must ride. The staff get dressed up and it is so much fun. Also, if you can- wear a costume. The parties are so much more fun in costume. Does not have to be elaborate. Official entry is 4 pm, there is a lot of special food that is offered just during the party so a big meal before is not needed. Definitely go for the pics. There are so many cool characters you cannot get at other times and the lines can ebb and flow a lot. I once waited for Jack/ Sally pre party for over an hour. During the party my friend wanted a picture so we went back to check the line- there was none! You never know...also, catch the parade. Even if you are not a parade fan.

Thanks for the advice!
Haunted Mansion is one of my favorites, so it is definitely on the list! I'm a big fan of Halloween, so getting to wear a costume to MK is a huge plus for me! I'm planning to do a female version of Dreamfinder! :figment: (if you can't tell, I'm a Figment fan! ::yes::)
That's good to know! I'll keep that in mind for character meets.
I don't make a point to wait for the parade normally, but I know this one will have some special details! I am definitely catching the Hocus Pocus show!

Not too much I can add to the above posters.
Earl of Sandwich is delicious and a great deal. If you have the time and the funds, treat yourself to some ice cream at Ghirardelli (cone, sundae, banana split, etc) to make it really special.

If you're not shy or self concious, try dressing up for the party. There's something freeing about being someone/something else for a night.:dancer:
I recommend making your own costume for a few reasons.
You can dress it up or subdued as you like; it's way less expensive than purchasing a costume; Oct/Nov is still HOT, you want to be comfortable. Most purchased costumes are nylon, itchy, hot, non-breathable. You'll be miserable quickly. I've had friends pass out/get sick from overheating. :sick:

In 2010 I made my late DH's costume and mine. White t-shirts, shorts, capris for me, all 100% cotton. I made a paint stamp from carving some inexpensive stamps from real life Dalmatian spots enlarged on a photocopier. Black waterproof (really important) inexpensive fabric paint covered all clothing. Dalmatian fabric remnants, batting for stuffing our tails, with the right bend (yes, I'm OCD), 4 floppy ears glued to headbands (6 for $1), 2 elastic headbands for collars. I attached the tails with velcro for bathroom breaks, sitting down, and some rides. Spotted sneakers for me with good insoles, gotta protect those feet! The biggest splurge was 2 dog tags made at Petsmart for Pongo and Perdita (101 Dalmatians). Even tossed in a few hidden Mickeys and the photopass photographers loved them!!

Hope to go this year, have all the materials to become Marie. White fluffy tail, headband ears, fingerless lace gloves, since Marie is a lady. Whiskers and pink facepaint for my nose. Clearance white t-shirts and capris with fluffy white fur from an old baby coat to make my fur.:cat::cat: Can't forget the cattitude!!!!

Comfy, cooler, cheaper and helps me get in the spirit!:crazy:

Definitely get to the gates by 3:30 to get in by 4 pm as it can take some time attaching all those wrist bands.

Go with an open mind, rest as much as possible during the day. I do, and I'm always one of the last to leave. I get my money's worth out of that ticket!

I've posted on some other threads about both parties. Feel free to post and/pm with any questions. :disrocks:

Not too much I can add to the above posters.
Earl of Sandwich is delicious and a great deal. If you have the time and the funds, treat yourself to some ice cream at Ghirardelli (cone, sundae, banana split, etc) to make it really special.
If you're not shy or self concious, try dressing up for the party. There's something freeing about being someone/something else for a night.:dancer:
I recommend making your own costume for a few reasons.
You can dress it up or subdued as you like; it's way less expensive than purchasing a costume; Oct/Nov is still HOT, you want to be comfortable. Most purchased costumes are nylon, itchy, hot, non-breathable. You'll be miserable quickly. I've had friends pass out/get sick from overheating. :sick:

In 2010 I made my late DH's costume and mine. White t-shirts, shorts, capris for me, all 100% cotton. I made a paint stamp from carving some inexpensive stamps from real life Dalmatian spots enlarged on a photocopier. Black waterproof (really important) inexpensive fabric paint covered all clothing. Dalmatian fabric remnants, batting for stuffing our tails, with the right bend (yes, I'm OCD), 4 floppy ears glued to headbands (6 for $1), 2 elastic headbands for collars. I attached the tails with velcro for bathroom breaks, sitting down, and some rides. Spotted sneakers for me with good insoles, gotta protect those feet! The biggest splurge was 2 dog tags made at Petsmart for Pongo and Perdita (101 Dalmatians). Even tossed in a few hidden Mickeys and the photopass photographers loved them!!

Hope to go this year, have all the materials to become Marie. White fluffy tail, headband ears, fingerless lace gloves, since Marie is a lady. Whiskers and pink facepaint for my nose. Clearance white t-shirts and capris with fluffy white fur from an old baby coat to make my fur.:cat::cat: Can't forget the cattitude!!!!

Comfy, cooler, cheaper and helps me get in the spirit!:crazy:

Definitely get to the gates by 3:30 to get in by 4 pm as it can take some time attaching all those wrist bands.

Go with an open mind, rest as much as possible during the day. I do, and I'm always one of the last to leave. I get my money's worth out of that ticket!

I've posted on some other threads about both parties. Feel free to post and/pm with any questions. :disrocks:

Thanks for the advice!! Earl of Sandwich does look really good, and quite reasonable!

I'm not the most outgoing person, but I LOVE Halloween, so I had a costume picked out as soon as I decided the trip! The key will be to make it so that it won't get too hot since I've decided to do a female version of Dreamfinder! :figment: My sewing ability extends mostly to costumes, so I'm figuring out what I can do with as much cotton involved as possible :scratchin

Those sound like really cute costumes!! I've always loved Marie!!

Party day is definitely going to be a no park day for me until party time so I can make the most of my money!

Curiouser, party day be it MNSSHP or MVMCP is never a park day, except for the party. Pool, laundry, read a book, nap, etc.
I give myself plenty of time to make sure I'm at the MK gates by 3:30, takes time for the CM to attach all those wrist bands.
Thank you for the compliments, Marie is my favourite character.

For Figment, try and check for purple cotton t-shirt and shorts or capris.

Considering that the fashion industry calls that the end of season, you might score in clearances. Fabric paint pens, glittery or not, sew some coloured braiding, raid the dollar store for inspiration.

Coolness for comfort and for getting in and out of rides ties with cuteness for number 1 with me.:smooth:

MNSSHP is my absolute FAVORITE thing at Disney- good choice!! I definitely recommend going in at 4 so you can get some rides in. There are a lot of special things to see at the party so picking a few must do rides is ideal because if you want to see all the party stuff you won't have a *ton* of extra time I've found. The Hocus Pocus stage show is AMAZING. I loved the dapper dans (when I went they were in frontier land so watch for that), and the parade is my favorite that Disney has offered! Lastly, don't be afraid to trick or treat, it's not just for kids!

MNSSHP is my absolute FAVORITE thing at Disney- good choice!! I definitely recommend going in at 4 so you can get some rides in. There are a lot of special things to see at the party so picking a few must do rides is ideal because if you want to see all the party stuff you won't have a *ton* of extra time I've found. The Hocus Pocus stage show is AMAZING. I loved the dapper dans (when I went they were in frontier land so watch for that), and the parade is my favorite that Disney has offered! Lastly, don't be afraid to trick or treat, it's not just for kids!

Thanks for the tips! I'm SOO excited!! I know i'll be visiting MK again during my trip, so I might add one or two to the must ride Haunted Mansion while I'm there. I love Hocus Pocus and I'm so majorly looking forward to that show! I'll have to add the Dapper Dans to my list!

You'll love MNSSHP!

As some PPs have mentioned, you can enter at 4pm with your ticket. I usually arrive at MK security by 3:30pm, then run over to the washroom and make final adjustments to my costume before getting in line. Because I've gone in Sept the past few years, I go as light as possible. Last year I wore a red t-shirt and had already used white duct tape to make the m from "m&m". I did this before I flew down so easy to just pull on the shirt that day. I packed some dollar store light up bracelets to add to the festivities. I love the elaborate costumes but just way too hot & humid for me to wear plus get on rides.

I'm not a meet & greet person, so I usually FP 3 MK rides for windows from 3:30pm to 6:30pm. As soon as I get into the park, I grab my Halloween party Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom collectible card from the Fire Station, then run off to one of my FP rides. By 5pm or so, I grab a quick counter service dinner at Columbia Harbour House. Then off to my last FP at Haunted Mansion. After my ride, I either look for the Cadaver Dans at nearby Frontierland or wait for Madam Carlotta or Renata on the HM front lawn. I wait around the ghost hearse as soon as I see the fog machines start up. One of the ladies puts on a show and then I head to the hub to watch the Sanderson Sisters show and keep my spot for the first Parade. The Parade is top notch and not to be missed!

Tips for party for solo:

1) I would explore Disney Springs in the MORNING - when it's less crowded. Lots of cheap places to eat lunch there. Use allears.net to see menus and prices.
2) Do your resort hopping second - and I'd just plan on seeing the monorail resorts before the party. You can eat QS at any of those hotels before going to the party for cheap. But - check the menus, too. If you are JUST getting an entree - or maybe an appetizer/side salad at places like Kona/Grand Floridan/The Wave - that might not be as costly as you are thinking.
3) If you want to maximize your party ticket (assuming they still open at 4) - plan to be at the MK tapsiles by 3:30. If you plan to be there by then - you'll make it by 4 pm. Monorail will be busy with folks headed to the party - so it always seems slow right before the parties.
4) Standby lines at MK will be BAD between 4-7 pm at MK. So - you have to plan accordingly. Maybe it's shop browsing time, or time to hit an attraction not open during the party - something with little line (CoP, Tom Sawyer's Island, the RR, stuff like that). Or - plan on a QS dinner in the park at this time (places will be crowded). Don't leave eating a meal for after 7 pm for sure! I like to buy the party pin - so I do that during this time.
5) If you do decide there is a particular meet and greet you want - pay attention to the boards to see what's up for the year in terms of when they let you get in line. I waited for Snow White and the Seven Dwarves one year - and I'm glad I did - but it did take a lot of time.
6) The parade is a MUST DO. I recommend Frontierland vs. Main Street. I swear - some folks walk into the party and claim seats on the curb on Main Street. Really - as a solo adult - you'll find a place to see the parade 30 minutes in advance. (and less if you are tall and don't mind being a bit farther back)
7) They do give away good candy - but I recommend the treat trails LATER in the evening - they are more packed in the beginning.
8) Haunted Mansion ride during the party is a must-do - but it's everyone's must do - so the line won't be great. If you watch the parade in Liberty Square - you can head over right after the parade - and it might not be too bad if you are close and really move there quickly as the parade is passing. OR - leave it until 11:55 pm - like other hoards of people will do. You'll wait - but you won't have wasted time earlier in the evening.
9) The shows are also GREAT - the later ones are less packed - but you do have to time these out.
10) Once the full schedule is posted - make a plan. If you go in without a plan - you can miss things you really wanted to do.
11) Since you have another day at MK - don't make the rides a priority. You can do those another time.
12) I do highly recommend spending some time watching the ghost entertain folks on the HM lawn (someone else mentioned this, too). I've done this twice now - and man - whoever was doing it was FUNNY! This is live entertainment at its best. It's basically a live stand-up comedy act with interaction with the crowd.
13) The party isn't my favorite time solo - because there is so much I want to do and I can never get it all done!!!! (But - I like character M&Gs because of their fun costumes - and those take a ton of time)

You'll love MNSSHP!

As some PPs have mentioned, you can enter at 4pm with your ticket. I usually arrive at MK security by 3:30pm, then run over to the washroom and make final adjustments to my costume before getting in line. Because I've gone in Sept the past few years, I go as light as possible. Last year I wore a red t-shirt and had already used white duct tape to make the m from "m&m". I did this before I flew down so easy to just pull on the shirt that day. I packed some dollar store light up bracelets to add to the festivities. I love the elaborate costumes but just way too hot & humid for me to wear plus get on rides.

I'm not a meet & greet person, so I usually FP 3 MK rides for windows from 3:30pm to 6:30pm. As soon as I get into the park, I grab my Halloween party Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom collectible card from the Fire Station, then run off to one of my FP rides. By 5pm or so, I grab a quick counter service dinner at Columbia Harbour House. Then off to my last FP at Haunted Mansion. After my ride, I either look for the Cadaver Dans at nearby Frontierland or wait for Madam Carlotta or Renata on the HM front lawn. I wait around the ghost hearse as soon as I see the fog machines start up. One of the ladies puts on a show and then I head to the hub to watch the Sanderson Sisters show and keep my spot for the first Parade. The Parade is top notch and not to be missed!

I'm so excited!!

I'm working to figure out how to do what I want without overheating, for sure, but I'm going with a skirt instead of pants which should help some.

That sounds like a good plan! I'm not planning on using a ticket for that day since I'm buying the separate ticket for the party, so do you know if I will still be able to make FP+ since it's not available during the party?

I'm not usually a huge parade person, but I've heard too many good things about this one that I have to see it!

Tips for party for solo:

1) I would explore Disney Springs in the MORNING - when it's less crowded. Lots of cheap places to eat lunch there. Use allears.net to see menus and prices.
2) Do your resort hopping second - and I'd just plan on seeing the monorail resorts before the party. You can eat QS at any of those hotels before going to the party for cheap. But - check the menus, too. If you are JUST getting an entree - or maybe an appetizer/side salad at places like Kona/Grand Floridan/The Wave - that might not be as costly as you are thinking.
3) If you want to maximize your party ticket (assuming they still open at 4) - plan to be at the MK tapsiles by 3:30. If you plan to be there by then - you'll make it by 4 pm. Monorail will be busy with folks headed to the party - so it always seems slow right before the parties.
4) Standby lines at MK will be BAD between 4-7 pm at MK. So - you have to plan accordingly. Maybe it's shop browsing time, or time to hit an attraction not open during the party - something with little line (CoP, Tom Sawyer's Island, the RR, stuff like that). Or - plan on a QS dinner in the park at this time (places will be crowded). Don't leave eating a meal for after 7 pm for sure! I like to buy the party pin - so I do that during this time.
5) If you do decide there is a particular meet and greet you want - pay attention to the boards to see what's up for the year in terms of when they let you get in line. I waited for Snow White and the Seven Dwarves one year - and I'm glad I did - but it did take a lot of time.
6) The parade is a MUST DO. I recommend Frontierland vs. Main Street. I swear - some folks walk into the party and claim seats on the curb on Main Street. Really - as a solo adult - you'll find a place to see the parade 30 minutes in advance. (and less if you are tall and don't mind being a bit farther back)
7) They do give away good candy - but I recommend the treat trails LATER in the evening - they are more packed in the beginning.
8) Haunted Mansion ride during the party is a must-do - but it's everyone's must do - so the line won't be great. If you watch the parade in Liberty Square - you can head over right after the parade - and it might not be too bad if you are close and really move there quickly as the parade is passing. OR - leave it until 11:55 pm - like other hoards of people will do. You'll wait - but you won't have wasted time earlier in the evening.
9) The shows are also GREAT - the later ones are less packed - but you do have to time these out.
10) Once the full schedule is posted - make a plan. If you go in without a plan - you can miss things you really wanted to do.
11) Since you have another day at MK - don't make the rides a priority. You can do those another time.
12) I do highly recommend spending some time watching the ghost entertain folks on the HM lawn (someone else mentioned this, too). I've done this twice now - and man - whoever was doing it was FUNNY! This is live entertainment at its best. It's basically a live stand-up comedy act with interaction with the crowd.
13) The party isn't my favorite time solo - because there is so much I want to do and I can never get it all done!!!! (But - I like character M&Gs because of their fun costumes - and those take a ton of time)

I've made an 11:30 GF breakfast reservation that day, but I'm really not sure if I'll stick with it or not. It might be too weird of a time for me to be able to do other things I want to. I just couldn't pass up the reservation when I know I have time to cancel without a penalty! I haven't seen many of the monorail resorts at all, or at least since I was quite small, so that would probably be plenty of exploring for the amount of time I'll have.
I know the Sanderson Sisters are a priority for me, as is Haunted Mansion with the extra party fun! Thanks for the late ride recommendation, that could definitely come in handy! Planning is one of my favorite parts of travel, so I will definitely do that! I didn't know much about the ghost on the HM lawn, but that sounds fantastic!

I'm not planning on using a ticket for that day since I'm buying the separate ticket for the party, so do you know if I will still be able to make FP+ since it's not available during the party?
Yes FP are still available for you but only before the party's official start at 7pm. I don't burn a park day either for MNSSHP. I book the party on my non-park day but still book my FP like any other day EXCEPT remember to book the windows starting eg 3:30pm (you can still ride after 4pm) to 6:30pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter