First make-up for a teen

Makeup! Yes! I live for this kind of stuff! Well, I did, before I had my son.
Anyway, take her to sephora or Mac and get a color match. Depending on her type of skin will depend on what type of, if any, foundation she will need. Skin care is extremely important. It doesn’t have to be a crazy routine, just something that works for her and her skin type. If she’s oily/combination/acne prone, I can send you a giant list of products that have worked wonders for me.
Anyway, I could honestly talk about makeup all day. Most people are correct that you don’t want to do cheap makeup (you get what you pay for) but drugstore makeup has come a loooooong way. I never could use drugstore foundation, but most other products worked great for me.

I think I was a makeup artist in another life

Quick question - if she wears nothing and is happy doing so, why do you want to get her started on makeup? Let her go barefaced if that's what she's comfortable with. Not all women wear makeup or want to.

IDK maybe I'm in the minority here but unless DD asked of makeup I probably wouldn't get it for her. Maybe she has no desire to wear it and then you are spendingmoney on something she may not even want; especially when you said you wanted it if she wants to start wearing it. Maybe don't do the makeup thing for a Christmas gift. Just ask her if she is interested in it whenever you could fit it into a conversation, might be months from now even and if she wants to start then you have some great options on where to go.

Good question/thought.

I've been thinking about this myself. But I think I am doing her a dis-service if I don't expose her to some of the basics. I know I feel clueless about alot of beauty products out there. As I said I am low maintenance and some of that may be out of ignorance.

I think she may be interested in make up but doesn't even know what to ask for. I want to expose her to the most basic of options. If she has no interest and the $ spent is waited I don't mind. Maybe she tries some things and doesn't like it at least she had the opportunity. I'm really just looking to get the most basic: a mascara, a lip gloss, a foundation and maybe a eyeshadow so she knows what they are. I don't even know what alot of the things suggested here (brush sets, palettes) are for.

Good question/thought.

I've been thinking about this myself. But I think I am doing her a dis-service if I don't expose her to some of the basics. I know I feel clueless about alot of beauty products out there. As I said I am low maintenance and some of that may be out of ignorance.

I think she may be interested in make up but doesn't even know what to ask for. I want to expose her to the most basic of options. If she has no interest and the $ spent is waited I don't mind. Maybe she tries some things and doesn't like it at least she had the opportunity. I'm really just looking to get the most basic: a mascara, a lip gloss, a foundation and maybe a eyeshadow so she knows what they are. I don't even know what alot of the things suggested here (brush sets, palettes) are for.

I definitely recommend Glossier then. Their products are pretty simple and don't require fancy brush sets or anything like that to apply. You could get a set that includes their signature brow grooming product and a sheep lip tint at a discount. Their concealer is also great for covering breakouts, even without foundation. It's all super subtle which is ideal for a young teen just starting out.

I grew up in a town where most girls shellacked on a full face before they felt like they could be seen in public. When I go to WDW, I'm often tapping my foot impatiently as my high-maintenance mom does her hair or adds one more accessory to her outfit before we can go to the parks. I think it's great that you're someone who is comfortable in your own skin, because that's a great example to set for a teen girl. I don't think you're doing her a disservice at all.

Good question/thought.

Just throwing this out there but maybe instead of make up since she hasn't shown a ton of interest. Maybe get her started on a few skincare items? Like maybe trying some nice cleansers, moisturizers, & sunscreens. Or maybe a clarisonic? I find that what we use to care for our skin & face is more important than the makeup and powder we put on it. Plus being a teenager usually comes with acne and it might be nice to give her things that could help keep the zits away instead of covering them up.

I'd like to get my almost 14 year old DD some make up for Christmas but I don't know where to start. Currently she has/wears nothing. I'm pretty low maintenance and only wear mascara and some tinted moisturizer (if anything) so I'm not very helpful. I see these 'kits' but to me it looks like 50 eye shadows and that seems crazy. Can anyone recommend a few items to get my DD started or maybe a kit that has some real basics.

I just want something that will make her comfortable with wearing make-up if she wants to.

TIA
I brought my DD to the Clinique counter at a department store when she was 13 to learn how to tastefully apply makeup in an age-appropriate way. She has very sensitive skin, so that’s why I chose that brand. They educated her about skin care as well.

I really didn’t want her to make the same mistakes I did by wearing the wrong colors and wrong kind of makeup for her skin type. My worst faux pas was wearing light blue eye shadow.

She looked beautiful then and has developed quite a talent for applying makeup.

Clinique moisturizer made my skin red and itchy and it took two dermatologists a year to get it under control. Do not assume their products are good for sensitive skin.

I don’t have kids but aren’t there a million youtube tutorials about makeup? It seems like your teen would know if she was interested or not.

Clinique moisturizer made my skin red and itchy and it took two dermatologists a year to get it under control. Do not assume their products are good for sensitive skin.

I don’t have kids but aren’t there a million youtube tutorials about makeup? It seems like your teen would know if she was interested or not.
An entire year, that’s just awful.

My daughter has eczema, and her pediatrician recommended Clinique. Fortunately it works great for her, especially the moisture surge. She also likes it because it’s unscented, and she is allergic to most scents.

I guess everyone’s skin is different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!