First DVC trip.... finally!

mom2elle

Mouseketeer
After buying DVC last October (RIV), and two cancelled trips, we are finally taking our first DVC trip next week! I honestly wasn’t sure this trip would happen either, so I am rushing now to get organized! Any tips/advice/things to remember for our first stay as DVC members? Besides housekeeping is anything different? Any DVC perks? I am not even sure of the lounges are open right now. Thanks in advance.

After buying DVC last October (RIV), and two cancelled trips, we are finally taking our first DVC trip next week! I honestly wasn’t sure this trip would happen either, so I am rushing now to get organized! Any tips/advice/things to remember for our first stay as DVC members? Besides housekeeping is anything different? Any DVC perks? I am not even sure of the lounges are open right now. Thanks in advance.

Top of the World Lounge isn’t open. But the DVC Lounge in EPCOT is (in the Imagination Pavillion). Assuming you bought direct- don’t forget to bring your membership card or download your card from the DVC site.You can use that for discounts at many restaurants and for merchandise.

They only give you enough coffee for 2 days. So if you drink coffee every morning and are there more than a few days, I would bring some. I’m not sure of the coffee pot type at Riviera.

It’s also a great feeling when you scan into a park For the first time and the turnstile pops up purple and they wish you a Welcome Home! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Considering having groceries delivered. Take advantage of the kitchen especially since a lot of dining options are still closed or limited.

With everything going on, you will be telling us - hopefully post - how things are. I am enjoying reading everyone's reports and pictures right now since it is definitely not the norm.

Just relax, observe, absorb and enjoy as much as you can. Stay safe. Going now - obviously, don't expect too much (no fireworks, etc.). but I do read they are doing a great job keeping everyone safe.

Have a great time.

You don't need to bring coffee from home if you run out any more. You just call Housekeeping and they should bring you more. BUT, if you have a favorite coffee and it isn't Joffrey's, you'll need coffee and filters (10-12 cup flat bottom basket style filters). If you need more anything these days, just call Housekeeping. If you plan on cooking, you will need any salt, pepper, sugar, oil or shortening, butter, and all the other items you need to cook your meal. One bedroom or larger and you have a full kitchen with dishes, pots and pans. Studio only has microwave, toaster and coffee pot.

One bedroom or larger has washer and dryer in the villa. They will leave you laundry detergent (an eco type) and no fabric softener. You'll want those and any other detergent you prefer. Studios don't get laundry detergent and you'll need to provide that if you plan to use the free laundry room (it looks like it takes quarters, but you don't need them).

Extra trash bags in the bottom of every trash can.

We had our first dvc trip too recently. Things I learned. we declined housekeeping. They still came in to take the trash and what seemed to be random days. we filled it up in between the random days and I had to look up where the trash room was.
The dryer took forever. the Dishwasher was also persnickety. Any kitchen supplies missing you can call down to get replaced (we had no spatulas). They supply dish detergent and dishwasher detergent. the supplied brand didn’t seem as effective so if that bothers you might want to bring your own (for the dishes and laundry).
most places asked if you have dvc for discounts, some would not and you needed to ask to get it.
Epcot dvc lounge closes at 6. Not all the usb stations work but the desk will have some extra charger to plug in if needed.

not sure what the bathroom hook situation looks like at RIV, but I've noticed many of the resorts need additional places to hang a towel or wet bathing suit. I always bring suction cup hooks, and they always get used (but I haven't stayed at RIV... yet!)

Enjoy your trip and Welcome Home!

Owner's Locker is open and running and the best $100 I ever spent. There's a special link in your DVC page to sign up with the special DVC rate and get a blue box, instead of a purple one.

I have all my junk in there and just travel with a backpack. I sent a family member who recovered from Covid recently, and she did the same, just using my Owner's Locker.

Maybe worth thinking about if you are flying and plan to go regularly.

Owner's Locker is open and running and the best $100 I ever spent. There's a special link in your DVC page to sign up with the special DVC rate and get a blue box, instead of a purple one.

I have all my junk in there and just travel with a backpack. I sent a family member who recovered from Covid recently, and she did the same, just using my Owner's Locker.

Maybe worth thinking about if you are flying and plan to go regularly.

What type of things do you keep in your owners locker? We do fly, but we fly Southwest so it’s easy to check bags. But I am curious to learn more about Owners Locker.

What type of things do you keep in your owners locker? We do fly, but we fly Southwest so it’s easy to check bags. But I am curious to learn more about Owners Locker.

I travel a lot, so most of it is just what I always pack. Toiletries, pajamas, night light, white noise machine, medication, contacts, extra glasses, chargers, hairbrush + tools, hairbands

Some of it is Disney specific: Brita filter, swimwear, flip flops, beach bag, glowstick things, Disney bubble wands, ears, sunglasses, hats, tape, scissors, laundry soap, dish soap, Disney ponchos, my well-worn Disney sneakers, a small blanket (which gets used constantly), the kitchen knife I like.

Most importantly for me, a nice robe. Most $700/night hotels already have nice robes, but not DVC.

You put the contents on the website (privately) so you can see what you have already. This takes my packing down to a couple days clothes in a small backpack. EASY. It's also already waiting for you at Bell Services, so you don't have to wait for Magical Express to bring your bags four hours later, while you are trying to go to the pool now.

They pick up and drop off at anywhere I would be willing to stay. So, you could also stay that first night off-brand at Disney Springs to avoid paying an extra Disney night, and you just bring it with you in an Uber. I always split stay and it's a non-issue. Disney is very used to dealing with Owner's Lockers. Mine is covered in large Vampirina stickers, so if you see that one, say hi!

not sure what the bathroom hook situation looks like at RIV, but I've noticed many of the resorts need additional places to hang a towel or wet bathing suit. I always bring suction cup hooks, and they always get used (but I haven't stayed at RIV... yet!)

We own DVC at the Grand Floridian. Several times I have made the suggestion to staff and even written a quick not to say additional hooks in the bathroom would be of help to patrons and to WDW. The suction cup hooks do work so well and save on towels being tossed to the floor etc.

We own DVC at the Grand Floridian. Several times I have made the suggestion to staff and even written a quick not to say additional hooks in the bathroom would be of help to patrons and to WDW. The suction cup hooks do work so well and save on towels being tossed to the floor etc.
LOL! Extra hooks are on DH’s list of things to bring now!

On our very first trip as owners to BWV in 1998 I noticed that there were nowhere near enough towel bars or hooks to hang the towels we planned to use several times (just as we do at home). We had them draped all over the place. Having stayed in multiple timeshares before and since, I think it's a chronic problem with timeshares.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter