First Day Dilemma - Which plan would you do?!

I've learned not to second guess my original plans so stick to the original MK evening. It's all planned and organized.

After a day of car travel, I would do a stroll around Epcot World Showcase if I were doing a park. Epcot is our favorite evening park. Then again, we are not big arrival day planners...we like to ease into it to be ready for our first FULL day, usually at MK. We basically try to have a leisurely evening and grab a meal somewhere, recognizing that as drivers anything could go wrong along the way and spoil our arrival time and any set plans, haha.

I have done what you are proposing (MK on travel day until fireworks) the last couple trips and we all agreed last trip that we won't do it again! I love starting a trip in MK, but staying through Wishes was just too much on a travel day. Everyone was tired and overwhelmed and crabby! Not the magical start I wanted for our trip. This trip I am planning for a more relaxed travel day (may actually go with your Epcot plan - that sounds perfect to me! ). And then we will save HEA for a day when we are all able to really appreciate it!

My first plan was MK in the evening but then my flights changed so now we will do Epcot or Disney Springs when we first get in at 7 am (if our room isn't ready). Then we will go to dinner at 4:30 pm and we will have MK evening with Fireworks and castle lighting and 3 fp+ between 6-9 and we will have mk open till 11 pm so we think that will work best for us. Why don't you do Epcot for a few hours and hop to MK that evening get a bit of both and see fireworks?

Just 2 items I noted here, 1)with the new Pandora opening, it appears you should probably plan on leaving earlier to AK the next day, making that an earlier day. June is too soon of its opening for it to not be crazy there.
2)if I remember correctly, you'll be able to see the FPS you plan on changing to before you go ahead and give up the ones you've got.

I don't think 1 day in EPCOT is enough. So you could start your trip there. Since you already have 2 other days in MK you will probably hit everything.

MK is my favorite but we always start our vacation off at EPCOT. I'm not sure why, now it's just tradition. Although this trip I'm planning to hopefully hop over MK to ride Splash before they close it before the refurb.

I vote Epcot. To me, Illuminations is very special, and starting off my trip seeing it would be chock full of Magic for me.

I also think if you haven't seen Happily Ever After yet, you should save it to cap off your first full day at MK.

Either way, I hope you and your family have a great trip. :)

Just 2 items I noted here, 1)with the new Pandora opening, it appears you should probably plan on leaving earlier to AK the next day, making that an earlier day. June is too soon of its opening for it to not be crazy there.
2)if I remember correctly, you'll be able to see the FPS you plan on changing to before you go ahead and give up the ones you've got.
We are definitely rope dropping AK the next day! My family will likely be a little annoyed at how early we will be getting up but it'll be worth it.

We are definitely rope dropping AK the next day! My family will likely be a little annoyed at how early we will be getting up but it'll be worth it.

Yes, I just mean people are getting there even earlier than regular early right now due to Pandora, lol

We also do Epcot on our travel day. For us it's a laid back park and perfect to just get a taste of Disney. We prefer to see MK on our first morning although this year DD and I plan to attempt evening EMH on arrival day after Epcot. We will see if we make it or not!

So we FINALLY made a decision. We switched our plans over to EP instead of MK. I really think this is going to be for the best. Switched FPs to Spaceship Earth (my oldest is dying to ride it...lol), Soarin', and Figment (though we may just skip it). After FPs we are headed over to WS and focusing on Canada through the U.S. Now I just have to figure out what I want to eat that night and figure out where the good drinks are on that side of the park. Thanks so much for all the help. Many of you had such great reasons. It was really hard to decide. :goodvibes

You may need an earlier arrival than normal because folks will be lining up at DAK earlier than we are used to. I see you already made your plan, but I would keep in mind how tired Day two might be after a long car ride and a potentially earlier departure time from the resort.

You may need an earlier arrival than normal because folks will be lining up at DAK earlier than we are used to. I see you already made your plan, but I would keep in mind how tired Day two might be after a long car ride and a potentially earlier departure time from the resort.
Thanks for the advice. I've been and will continue to pay attention to the Pandora board to keep track of what's going on there. We have a 3-4 hour break at the resort scheduled for that day. We take midday breaks just about every day. It's a must for us with the kids and the heat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter