First big MLB controversy of the year? Angels player grabs fan by the collar and allegedly takes a swipe.

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Didn't quite turn into the Malice in the Palace.

https://twitter.com/PetrosAndMoney/status/1641873598536388608

Major League Baseball is looking into a video circulating on social media that appears to show Los Angeles Angels third baseman Anthony Rendon grab a fan by the shirt through the bleacher guardrails after Thursday night’s game in Oakland, a league spokesperson said Friday.​
Rendon looks to have grabbed the fan’s shirt near his chest through the bars of the railing and exchanged words with him before appearing to take a swipe at the bill of the man’s ballcap and walking into the tunnel.​
Angels spokesman Adam Chodzko says the team has no comment. The Angels do not play Friday, but the club expects Rendon to address the video Saturday in the clubhouse before the game against the Oakland Athletics in Oakland.​

Phillies were up 5-0 after top of 4th with the roof at Texas Rangers stadium open. It started to rain so the roof was closed and Texas scores 9 runs in bottom of 4th on way to 11-7 victory. :furious:

And a “Look at Me!!!” Dodger Dilwad gets decked by security.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/do...-to-girlfriend-gets-pummeled-by-security/amp/

I've seen security remove people at games, but I don't recall any kind of tackle like that. Certainly heard of someone on the field, but typically they stayed on their feet since security guards generally don't have good medical benfits..

The weirdest was when there was literally someone asleep after the game was over. If the guy was awake I think they would have left him alone until last call to leave, but the biggest security came up to wake him up. I guess they weren't sure if someone might react badly to it.

Last edited:

I’ve seen similar tackles. At a California Angels game we were in first row seats past first base and two yahoos jumped the barrier. One ran onto the field and security chased him. He got to the outfield fence and was just about to clear it when a security guard grabbed his feet and yanked him back. Then 4 or 5 others piled on top of him.

His friend chickened out and didn’t run onto the field.

I didn’t see it in person but at a Phillies game some guy got tazed when he ran onto the field.

I don’t recall specifics, but I remember reading about other athletes who punched or went into the stands to confront fans.

I’ve seen similar tackles. At a California Angels game we were in first row seats past first base and two yahoos jumped the barrier. One ran onto the field and security chased him. He got to the outfield fence and was just about to clear it when a security guard grabbed his feet and yanked him back. Then 4 or 5 others piled on top of him.

His friend chickened out and didn’t run onto the field.

I didn’t see it in person but at a Phillies game some guy got tazed when he ran onto the field.

I do remember the time that MLB umpire Laz Diaz (a former Marine) took down someone who ran onto the field to try and attack him.

I don’t recall specifics, but I remember reading about other athletes who punched or went into the stands to confront fans.

Oh - I remember that in Oakland. Someone was heckling visiting team relievers in the bullpen. Frank Francisco (Rangers reliever) got angry, grabbed a folding chair, and threw it into the stands where it hit the heckler's wife. Francisco was suspended for the rest of the season but he missed the entire next season due to elbow injury. Not sure if he was injured during the chair toss.

Phillies were up 5-0 after top of 4th with the roof at Texas Rangers stadium open. It started to rain so the roof was closed and Texas scores 9 runs in bottom of 4th on way to 11-7 victory. :furious:
I was equipment manager for my HS baseball team. I remember the coach telling us to always turn on lights between the bottom and top of an inning... you don't want to change field conditions in the middle of an inning.

I was equipment manager for my HS baseball team. I remember the coach telling us to always turn on lights between the bottom and top of an inning... you don't want to change field conditions in the middle of an inning.

I've been watching night MLB games for decades. They turn on the lights well before it gets dark. I think part of it would be that it can take 15 minutes for those lights to reach full brightness (seen it before where they went down and had to be turned back on). But the radio guys mention it as "the lights are taking full effect".

Nothing really spectacular, but attended a game at the former Safeco Field in Seattle when it started raining. it took something like 10 minutes for the roof to close and the game wasn't stopped.

sidebyside.png

HMMMMM. Is this a yes? Or a no?

Play continued while the roof at Globe Life Park in Arlington, TX was closing.

I remember when Skydome in Toronto was brand new, and the roof needed to be closed during a game. Play stopped and players from both teams went onto the field to watch the spectacle. Now it’s ho hum in every stadium with a retractable roof.

Well you know what they say, the couple that gets tackled by security together, stays together. Say how goes it early for the Phillies?
After losing their first two games 11-7 and 16-3, I’ve given up on the Phillies this year.

Did they get swept by Texas?

What Rendon did was idiotic. But there has to be more done to handle obnoxious, often drunk fans who feel so entitled. I know the NBA (where fans are right on top of the players) has had many situations over the years where security has removed fans at the request of the officials/players. This situation should never have gotten to the point a player feels the need to go into the stands - remove those fans before it happens. No one, especially kids, should be exposed to the verbal abuse by fans like that - nor the retaliatory violence. Nip it before it can happen.....

As someone who worked field security for an NFL team, you are told never to chase someone who jumps on the field. If you can grab them right away when they jump the fence fine, otherwise you are supposed to let them run across the field and get them on the other side. If necessary, you get a group and encircle the person. Although this would usually result in a night in the local jail rather than the usual court summons and ejection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter