Finding the unicorn- Subsidized Aulani

Good to gather feedback but also be careful not to confuse certainty with expertise.
Would you buy Aulani to use the points at WDW, foregoing the 11 month booking window for any of the Florida resorts? I just don’t think that’s a good idea. Have you checked availability lately? And seeing how long some of these large point contracts sit on the resale sites, I don’t think buying one of them is a good idea either. And, call me crazy, I do think future resale should factor into a DVC purchase, in spite of potential buyers not having any intent to sell in the immediate future. Things change!

If you feel otherwise, I’d be curious to get your opinion on both matters. Truly. If you don’t agree, what are your thoughts? Maybe I’m missing something.

A discounted large point contract that is bought at a discount can be a much better deal than buying 2 smaller contracts for the same amount of points. Yes, liquidity on the way out might be more difficult, but if you’ve bought at the right price you can afford to give a similar discount and still make out better. You will have put less money in initially and still been able to enjoy all the points.
Of course this is just my opinion, but the phrase “liquidity on the way out might be more difficult” scares me. A three hundred point contract can sit for months on a resale site, because even with a considerable discount they’re still very expensive. So, in that case, “liquidity on the way out might be more difficult” might actually mean “it could take you forever to sell it.” In that case, such a contract is not an item I want to own.

One thing I’ve noticed is that sellers of those contracts can also wind up having to discount them even more to sell down the line, so one can wind up losing money.

A discounted large point contract that is bought at a discount can be a much better deal than buying 2 smaller contracts for the same amount of points. Yes, liquidity on the way out might be more difficult, but if you’ve bought at the right price you can afford to give a similar discount and still make out better. You will have put less money in initially and still been able to enjoy all the points.
My thoughts exactly! Can you explain if the subsidy is fixed over the years of the deed or if it goes up somehow, like a percentage? I can't seem to figure that part out.

Would you buy Aulani to use the points at WDW, foregoing the 11 month booking window for any of the Florida resorts? I just don’t think that’s a good idea. Have you checked availability lately? And seeing how long some of these large point contracts sit on the resale sites, I don’t think buying one of them is a good idea either. And, call me crazy, I do think future resale should factor into a DVC purchase, in spite of potential buyers not having any intent to sell in the immediate future. Things change!

If you feel otherwise, I’d be curious to get your opinion on both matters. Truly. If you don’t agree, what are your thoughts? Maybe I’m missing something.
I would buy this discounted contract primarily to use at WDW until our vacation needs change. Hawaii is much more expensive for us to get to than Orlando.

I have checked availability for our usual travel times (mid-April and early August) and it looks lovely, especially with 300 points at our disposal! The dues are what is holding me up with Aulani the most and subsidies take care of that for me. I agree that not thinking about resale seems naive, but if it is a subsidized contract, I think it would sell in the unfortunate circumstance that I needed to sell it. But I'm new to this.

I don't think there's much difference between buying an Aulani contract and buying a SSR contract for WDW availability. Except, of course, the Aulani contract is longer, likely cheaper, and with lower dues if it's subsidized.

If the goal is to stay at CCV at Christmas or stay in the cheapest studios at BLT or stay at BWV during Food and Wine, sure, you need to buy there. But I think some people take some specific cases and broadly apply it to everyone all the time even if those people don't care about Christmas or are fine taking a bus from SSR during Food and Wine.

I don't think there's much difference between buying an Aulani contract and buying a SSR contract for WDW availability. Except, of course, the Aulani contract is longer, likely cheaper, and with lower dues if it's subsidized.

If the goal is to stay at CCV at Christmas or stay in the cheapest studios at BLT or stay at BWV during Food and Wine, sure, you need to buy there. But I think some people take some specific cases and broadly apply it to everyone all the time even if those people don't care about Christmas or are fine taking a bus from SSR during Food and Wine.
Music to my ears as we begin this journey! My thoughts exactly! Thank you so much.

Thanks! Congrats on your subsidized Aulani purchase over on the board! I’d love to ask you questions if you can DM me.

I got an email around 8AM saying that it was already in contract. :( I inquired about the smaller Aulani contract and didn't get a response. Oh well! I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Darn! I'm sure it got scooped up right away, but there will be another contract out there for you in the future!

Quick piggyback on this thread. Bought a contract this year and thought it was a regular contract but looking at my dues it is the subsidized rate I think. Anyway is there anything in the contract that states subsidized dues?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter