Final Payment Due-can I remove one traveler?

Julia M

DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi
Our final payment is due December 13. We have two rooms and 3 adults per room. My daughter may not be able to travel with us. She still does not have confirmation if she can take a day or two off (we know she can't get the whole week)

Can I cancel her portion and add her back in if she finds out she can go later ( we sail in April). I hate to pay her portion and have her not be able to go at all. I know I'm paying for the whole cruise even if she only sails a few days , but I hate to pay if she can't go at all.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Our final payment is due December 13. We have two rooms and 3 adults per room. My daughter may not be able to travel with us. She still does not have confirmation if she can take a day or two off (we know she can't get the whole week)

Can I cancel her portion and add her back in if she finds out she can go later ( we sail in April). I hate to pay her portion and have her not be able to go at all. I know I'm paying for the whole cruise even if she only sails a few days , but I hate to pay if she can't go at all.

Any advice?

Thanks.
You certainly can remove her with no penalty prior to paid in full date.

As to whether you can put her back on the reservation - DCL asks 3 questions when you want to add additional people to a reservation:
1) is there bed space in the room? (can't put 4 people in a 3 person room).
2) is there space in the lifeboat that room is assigned to? (If the other rooms assigned to that lifeboat are full, there may not be space in the lifeboat).\
3) is there space in the appropriate kid's program? (if applicable).

If the answer is "no" to any of these questions, you cannot add her back in.

I'll also point out, if you can add her back in, her fare will be the prevailing cost, not the price she was on the original reservation.

I'm not sure how she can sail for only a few days on a cruise, typically that's not allowed.

Depending on when you cancel her reservation, the penalty will increase in increments up to just prior to the actual cruise. If she is a no-show, you will be refunded the port fees & taxes on her reservation, but not the cruise fare.

Did you purchase insurance?

Last edited:
You certainly can remove her with no penalty prior to paid in full date. Thanks! That's what I thought.

As to whether you can put her back on the reservation - DCL asks 3 questions when you want to add additional people to a reservation:
1) is there bed space in the room? (can't put 4 people in a 3 person room). Well, since we have a room for three already that won[t be an issue. She's currently on the reservation.
2) is there space in the lifeboat that room is assigned to? (If the other rooms assigned to that room are full, there may not be space in the lifeboat).\ Good to know, thanks!
3) is there space in the appropriate kid's program? (if applicable). Definitely don't need to worry about that.

If the answer is "no" to any of these questions, you cannot add her back in.

I'll also point out, if you can add her back in, her fare will be the prevailing cost, not the price she was on the original reservation. Sadly, that's what I guessed!

I'm not sure how she can sail for only a few days on a cruise, typically that's not allowed. Actually, it may not be advertised, but its definitely allowed (based on specific itineraries and where you get off). It's impacted by the Jones Act, but I've already confirmed with DCL that she can.

Depending on when you cancel her reservation, the penalty will increase in increments up to just prior to the actual cruise. If she is a no-show, you will be refunded the port fees & taxes on her reservation, but not the cruise fare. Okay, that's good to know. So if I decide to book her and then cancel, I may not lose her whole fare. Thanks!

Did you purchase insurance? No, not for her.

Thanks for your info!

I'm not sure how she can sail for only a few days on a cruise, typically that's not allowed. Actually, it may not be advertised, but its definitely allowed (based on specific itineraries and where you get off). It's impacted by the Jones Act, but I've already confirmed with DCL that she can.
It's not the Jones Act (that applies to cargo), its the Passenger Vessel Services Act. If DCL has said she can do it, be sure you get it in writing.

Most cruise lines do not allow early debarkation due to the extra paperwork involved. If even one passenger debarks early from a cruise out of a US port (in a foreign port) it changes the cruise from a closed loop cruise to a foreign itinerary cruise (for all passengers). The immigration paperwork for a foreign itinerary cruise is more involved than that for a closed loop cruise. Time was cruise lines would do it, but now they don't want to invest that much time in it.

It's not the Jones Act (that applies to cargo), its the Passenger Vessel Services Act. If DCL has said she can do it, be sure you get it in writing.

Most cruise lines do not allow early debarkation due to the extra paperwork involved. If even one passenger debarks early from a cruise out of a US port (in a foreign port) it changes the cruise from a closed loop cruise to a foreign itinerary cruise (for all passengers). The immigration paperwork for a foreign itinerary cruise is more involved than that for a closed loop cruise. Time was cruise lines would do it, but now they don't want to invest that much time in it.

Good to know. Thank you.

Just in case anyone is wondering.....it was easy to add in my daughter departing early to our reservation. It was added to our reservation by our TA and we were informed she would need her passport and a plane ticket (to show she'd be departing the country). Both we obviously planned to have. We need to inform Guest Services as well once on the ship.

Of course, there are rules and regulations that govern when this is an option.

Grateful we didn't have to cancel her entirely from our cruise. Part of the trip isn't perfect but way better than nothing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter