Festival of Holidays aka Food and Wine

Skyegirl1999

DIS Veteran
Anyone else here? There are seemingly more food/drink options thank there were for Food and Wine, and there are no lines for anything today! We've liked everything we've tried.

Unfortunately, it's $6-9 for most things, and just a few bites of food... But it's still a lot of fun.
The Brisket Potato Croquette is my favorite so far!

Yes, please share some photos. I saw some pics of the stands when they were being set up, and they looked terribly plain. I'm hoping they have been decorated to look festive, and not look like it's where they keep the gardening equipment.

It's telling me my iPhone photos are too big, but I'll try to resize some in a bit. The booths have colorful streamers. There's a TON going on, music and dance groups, crafts, photo ops with the Country Bears... So fun!

Wanted to try the mac-n-cheese last night, but they ran out of the crumble topping, and they ran out of the smoked duck spring roll. Going to try again today.

I hope this works! Sorry the map was well-loved by my daughter, but I thought it might be interesting if it turns out legible.

That's the Brisket Potato Croquette, Chicken Tamale, and Raspberry tart with a wine tasting (they say 3oz but it wasn't very full, not worth it). I got some other stuff but didn't take pics.

The entertainment is great, and there are four craft stations that my daughter really enjoyed (she's 3 1/2).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 124
Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and your review! We are really excited to check this out. Was any of the food not worth trying? Any other stand-outs beside the croquette?

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and your review! We are really excited to check this out. Was any of the food not worth trying? Any other stand-outs beside the croquette?
There was nothing that was unenjoyable, but in terms of "worth it," the value is certainly lacking for some items more than others. It was so hot that the mint iced tea sounded delicious, and it was, but for $4-something I thought there'd be more than a double shot glass of it! I could have gotten a grande iced tea at Starbucks for less. I saw someone get the egg nog cocktail thing and it was TINY. He said it was good but "I had no idea it was so small for $11." So, if money is no object, try all the things! If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, something like the tamale was tasty and a decent size (still a "tasting" size, but not tiny). I'd say the wine "tasting," cocktail, and iced tea were all very scant and probably not worth the price.

Hope that helps! You can creep on other people's food to get an idea of sizes and such. People were standing around the tables discussing what they were eating with each other; it was a nice atmosphere (but again, not crowded today... I suspect that will change as word gets out more).

Did you notice if there were any healthy food options? Whenever I look at pictures, everything looks too heavy for me and/or like carnival food. I feel like a minority, but I do like to eat as healthy as possible at the parks because it helps keep my stamina up for staying on feet all day.

Did you notice if there were any healthy food options? Whenever I look at pictures, everything looks too heavy for me and/or like carnival food. I feel like a minority, but I do like to eat as healthy as possible at the parks because it helps keep my stamina up for staying on feet all day.
Yes, but largely seafood - shrimp cocktail, shrimp and papaya salad, fish ceviche, stuff like that. The chicken tamale was not heavy at all; very light and lots of fresh tomatillo on top.

Also, they're literally just a few bites of food, so even the heavy things don't have that much of an impact, honestly (but could still be avoided entirely if that's your desire).

It was 90 degrees yesterday so we weren't in the mood to try many warm foods. The only thing we tried yesterday was the Merry Berry Sherbet Punch because it seemed like it would be refreshing. We watched them make it and it is 2 mini scoopers of Dryers sherbet and half a can of Sprite in a small plastic cup. It was refreshing but for $4.25 we were hoping for something a bit more exciting and that would last longer thank 3 gulps.

Has any one seen or heard anything about their being a Tasting Sampler type option like they did for the F&W Festival in the Spring?

Anyone there done Epcot F&W? It sounds like prices/proportions are very similar to that festival?
I haven't gone (yet), but on the surface, the price points for the food are higher for this event compared to Epcot's F&W. Out of the 87 food items at Epcot, only 11 were above $6; most were in the $4-$6 range. I'm curious to see how the portion at DCA compare as well because I felt like the portions at this year's Epcot's F&W were pretty decent for the prices.

Anyone there done Epcot F&W? It sounds like prices/proportions are very similar to that festival?
I haven't been to the Epcot one, but it seems like this one was a little pricier than the DCA F&W just based on my recollections. More food items were in the $8-9 range. I didn't really mind for the food, but the drinks seemed like a gouge. Based on PP's account of the Merry Berry Sherbet Punch, that seems to be a theme.

My take is this: If I'm buying three food items that are different than anything else in the park for $20, spending $25 isn't that different. But paying $4 for a few sips of iced tea when I could get 16 oz at Starbucks or $11 for a cocktail half the size of what I'd get at the Carthay Lounge or Cove Bar - that makes more of a difference to me. The product is not distinctive enough to warrant that cost. For me, the food is unique enough to splurge; I think I'll stick to full glasses of wine and beer rather than trying the other drink options.

If the Tasting Sampler was that card with the pull-off tabs for items, they didn't have one as of yesterday (someone asked), but that may change according to the cast member asked; they're still working out some details.

Found some reviews on a couple of the dishes- no wonder everyone is talking about prices! http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201611/5330/ I thought Epcot's was a bit pricey, but it's Disney and all, and then I read this review that said the 3-bite duck spring roll is $8.75 :crazy2: I love duck but ouch. Hoping to visit the festival but I think I'll need to budget some more $$ and be more discerning than I was in FL last year. I very much look forward to everyone's reviews!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter