February 7, 2004 Eastern

Thanks for bringing up the weather. That was something I had been meaning to ask about. Although I figure since I live in Minnesnowta <---LOL Anything has to be better than what it'll be here!

Oh, and here's another questions for anyone that's been on a Disney Cruise before. About the kids menus. I know that most kids would be thrilled with the abundance of mac & cheese, chicken strips and such, I have a feeling my kids will not be overly happy. Although I'll never claim to be a gourmet chef, they're just not used to eating things like that all the time. If the kids saw something on the regular menu that they wanted, would they be allowed to order from that? I know that may be a dumb question but I'm just curious.
::MinnieMo

The waiter's automatically bring a kid's menu to the table. I almost always order something for my daughter off the adult menu. Also, if you request in advance (the night before) they will make you a "special" simple entre like broiled chicken or fish.

Also, it depends on the waiter, but some automatically bring out a kid dessert after every meal unless you indicate otherwise. I tell them not to bring unless I request it. I then usually order her off the adult menu. The kid's menus tend to be very high in sugar, fat, and carbs. If DD eats like that she will be bouncing off the walls.

The waiters automatically bring kid menus to the younger set as they have crayons and activities on the menu. The kids can order off either the children's or adult menu for any meal...or both! The adult menu lists in small print that they have grilled chicken, sirloin steak, and something else always available. They will also mix and match veges, etc. For instance, if my daughter wants the grilled salmon, but wants it with mashed potatoes from the kid menu instead of the rice it normally comes with, that's no problem. Also, she told the server that her favorite vege was broccoli, so every night he brought her a dish of broccoli! They also learned her request for "no sprinkles" on her Mickey bar.

Our favorite server told us that he was hoping to leave the ship at the end of his contract, so not be there for us this trip. He has 2 young children at home, but really needed to work on the ship for financial reasons. So...we will miss him terribly, but know he will be happier at home, if not wealthier!

The servers work for tips. They receive a VERY small stipend from Disney Cruise LInes (because the ship is registered in the Bahamas, they do not have to follow US minimum wage laws). Most servers will share a little of their life at home. They seem to fall into 2 categories--either they are young and doing this to see something of the world (in which case, they have a good time on their days off if they happen to be port days),or they are supporting families "back home," in which case they sleep and do laundry on days off. DIsney takes care of uniforms, but they still do personal things. Suggested tips on the ship run about $75 per traveller, which can be put on a credit card at guest services. The servers have told me that it makes no difference to them whether you put the tip on a credit card or give it in cash--they still get the full amount. I usually put the suggested on the card, then enclose some extra cash in the envelope (don't know if there are tax consequences for them or not). What I'm trying to say with all of this is my personal opinion that if I can afford a trip on DCL, I can afford to properly recognize those people who work their tails off to make my trip pleasant. I've never been refused anything I requested in a dining room.
Kathryn
Kathryn

Annie,
Thanks for putting the list together. Unfortunately my mom and sister have cancelled their cruise, so it will be just Erin and I.
Kathryn,
Do you prefer one itinerary to the other?

Just think only 9 more weeks!

Enjoy your weekend,
Dawn Hope

You know, one itinerary over the other is strictly personal opinion...and remember that you don't always go where the ship is scheduled to sail. We've been on 2 cruises (both in the fall, which is hurricane season) when they re-routed things due to weather. However, the short answer to your question is that I prefer the Eastern route. It has one more sea day, and they have an extra adult programming series. It features someone with Disney connections who does 3 one hour lectures/demonstrations/whatever is appropriate to his/her postion....kind of an "inside Disney from his/her perspective" feature. My 2 favorites were the guy who played Gaston on Broadway and the VP of Imagineering.

This series is different each Eastern cruise, and you never know who/what it is going to be till you sail. My daughter has even recommended certain cast members to be considered for the series. This is listed as "adults only," but in each case the speaker said it was ok to bring older kids--they just didn't want younger ones who might disrupt the presentation. The imagineering guy talked about development of park attractions, what was new and upcoming at the parks, etc. "Gaston" talked about his background, how he got the job, what he had done at Disney, did a demo of how they quickly learned and recorded music for the movies, etc. It was all great.

In addition, both routes have a 3 part cooking/drinking series featuring a guest chef and the Magic wine people, and entertaining series, and a series about the ship.

My ultimate feeling is that no matter where you go or what happens, there's no such thing as a bad time on the Magic! Travelling during hurricane season was a little creative (the first time, I didn't realize that September was a little problem in that part of the world), but even when they changed our routing, they found other safe ports and hustled to put together shore excursions for us. There were some pretty grumpy passengers, but those of us willing to "go with the flow" had a wonderful time.

We've also been on 2 cruises where they couldn't get us to the Cayman islands (Western) because of high waves that were unsafe for the tenders. Again, oh well....they just adjusted things and we had a good cruise.

This sounds like things change a lot, which isn't true. Normally, you do exactly what your schedule says. However, the fine print is that the itenerary is subject to change without notice, and it does happen.

Any more teens out there sailing? I'm looking for a friend for my "soon to be 13" year old.
Kathryn

Thanks Kathryn,
We've sailed 2- 3 day and 2- 4 day itineraries mostly during the fall/spring. Last January we sailed the Western and missed Grand Cayman, but loved the extra sea day - that's why we opted for the Eastern this year. I am anxious to take advantage of more of the adult programming/behind the scenes offerings as well as the wine tasting. It seems as though time enters warp speed once you pass through the giant mouse ears at the Port and it is impossible to take it all in - probably why we are sailing with DCL as often as we do.

Dawn

It is cold, rainy and snowy....our final payments have been made....is anyone else just wishing it was time for the ship?

Has anyone rec'd their excursion info? I have gone on the website etc - but would like more detailed info - like how long do you actually get at the beach or snorkeling etc and how long are the bus/taxi rides etc. I did call DCL last week Tues and they said the documents were mailed via Disney mail on 11/19...

We did book the Pinel Island snorkeling for the adults - hoping our kids are going to LOVE the labs...(maybe I am too trusting) It is too bad we aren't in St. thomas first - we aren't sure if we are going to do an exc there or not and then we could give the kids an option of coming with or staying on the boat first. Now we are just saying - "will be back in 3.5 hrs, hope nothing goes wrong..."

The excursion info usually comes a month or 6 weeks ahead of time. Despite their warnings that things fill up quickly, we've not had a problem getting what we want.

As to your kids....since they are in the lab, they are old enough to understand that you are going to be "busy" and are available for emergencies only during that time. THe counsellors understand that too, and are good about it. You do need to decide whether your kids will be allowed to sign themselves in and out of the lab, and make whatever rules you decide upon while you are off the ship.

My rule (for when I am ON the ship) was always that if DD told me she was going to the lab, she had to be either in the lab or in the cabin. She could not sign herself out and run around the ship. We would also make meeting arrangements--sign yourself out of the lab and meet me outside of Parrot Cay for lunch..or whatever. I also tried to tell her what I had planned. We did take a set of walkie-talkies, but really didn't use them. The best thing was for me to take one, (but not to the spa) and leave the second one in the cabin. That way, if someone wanted the Mom, they could go to the cabin and call me on the walkie talkie. Alternatively, the counsellors in the lab will page you if your child asks.

Although it is neither cold nor snowy here in the Sunshine State, it is a bit rainy. I am trying to stay in the moment and enjoy the holidays, knowing that the cruise awaits on the other side of tree trimming (and taking down), my daughter Meagan's semester break (and return to school) and the self imposed madness that sometimes insues at this time of the year. Come January, I will be beside myself with excitement.

Dawn

Hello everyone!! Are you there?? Our thread was buried so I thought I'd bump it up... hope all is well with everyone....
Annie

I'm here too! I can't even tell you how excited I'm getting since I know that I only have a little more than a week before I get to tell my girls about the cruise! I have a friend that is great at writing silly little poems so I asked her to put together something to break the news to them on Christmas morning and what she came up with was just so perfect! I also got them new swimsuits as one of their gifts. I just know they're going to think that I've lost my mind giving them swimsuits in Dec. LOL

Swimsuits are good. I got a Land's End on their clearance section for $10! Since my suits from last summer are too big, I thought it was a great deal. I tried it on, and my DD suggested that I should wear something with a longer skirt or "do something about your legs. You know, mom, they have surgery now where they take out the fat or skin or whatever the problem is!" Somehow, teenaged daughters are a little rough on their 50ish mothers.

SO, I'll be the one with the bad looking legs in the size 10 swimsuit. My DD will be in THe Stack, busily not associating with me (hee hee).
Kathryn

Kathryn, that's funny, kids are just too honest... I hear the same thing from my daughter...

Hi Jen - what a great idea... your kids will be sooooo excited!!!

I was on another board and heard about a cool looking thing in St. Maarten... here's the website...

http://www.caribbeanducktours.com

We're considering checking this out for something different...

Our weather has been so phenomenal here, I can't believe it... the snow is almost all melted.. it sure makes the countdown to cruisetime easier...

Have a Disney Day,
Ann

Originally posted by kcashner
Swimsuits are good. I got a Land's End on their clearance section for $10! Since my suits from last summer are too big, I thought it was a great deal. I tried it on, and my DD suggested that I should wear something with a longer skirt or "do something about your legs.
Kathryn

Oh I just can't wait until my girls get to that age! NOT! Mine are sassy enough as it is, I can't imagine what they'll be like at that age. And I wish my swimsuit was too big for me so I'd have to go buy a new one! I guess if I'd make use of that health club membership we have, that could be possible. LOL

Originally posted by Annie12345
[I was on another board and heard about a cool looking thing in St. Maarten... here's the website...

http://www.caribbeanducktours.com

We're considering checking this out for something different...

Our weather has been so phenomenal here, I can't believe it... the snow is almost all melted.. it sure makes the countdown to cruisetime easier...

Have a Disney Day,
Ann [/B]

That looks like lots of fun! They have something like that in Wisconsin in the Wisconsin Dells. They're called Ducks. Usually the guys that do all the talking make lots of goofy jokes.

And the weather here in MN is COLD! I can't wait until Feb. so I can finally be warm. I think I must be getting old because every winter bothers me more than the year before. And I used to be the type that would run around in the winter with Keds and no socks! LOL

I haven't done much with the excursions yet. Maybe next week. The Ducks thing looks interesting. It is pricey. I hope its worth it. Last time we did the butterfly farm. I would lilke to go there again but not definately NOT with Disney. I need to take some family poles.

-- Jami

I went to the cruise chat last night and "met" a teen friend who will be on our cruise. The really cool thing is that they live less than a 30 minute drive from us, and we plan to get the kids together to meet before the cruise (safe, neutral place, etc.). It sounds like the kids share a lot of interests...and having a friend on the cruise makes it MUCH better. Join us on chat any Friday nite at 9 pm EST. The link is on the "chat " at the top of the cruise posts.
Kathryn
mother of a very happy soon to be 13 year old

I just wanted to see if my countdown timer is working. I can't believe we're getting so close to cruise time!

Hi Everyone - I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very festive holiday season and safe travels to all! Once the holidays are over, we'll have to start planning our Dis meet. It's getting close... we should be getting our docs next week!!

- Ann

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter