• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***** February 2022 Thread *****

So those that fly in, what are you thinking as far as getting from the airport to your resort? I'm waiting to see how the Mears bus service is before I decide if I want to reserve that.
We are planning on using the Mears bus service. One of our favorite things about a WDW trip is that we don't have to drive. :)

So those that fly in, what are you thinking as far as getting from the airport to your resort? I'm waiting to see how the Mears bus service is before I decide if I want to reserve that.

I booked Mears for our family of 4. I looked into renting a car, but I don't want to own half of it I just want to drive it. Too pricey for me.

I’m planning to use the Mears service, I just haven’t booked it yet
I usually use Lyft. Quick and convenient.
We will use Uber or Lyft. I looked into Mears and the prices for just 2 people round trip was more than what we previously have paid for Uber or Lyft. If they did the luggage transfers that used to be part of magical express I would consider changing my mind but they don’t.
Since we knew Magical Express will be gone, we decided to fly into Sanford since the prices were WAY cheaper! We'll probably either uber or order a Mears van from Sanford. Anyone else every fly into Sanford? We've only ever flown into MCO.
I will probably use Mears too. Looked into renting a car but between rental and parking it was over $800 for our trip.

Nope. No thank you!

Update: Just looked at Mears and it will be $64 round-trip for the 2 of us. Pretty sure I will be choosing that option I believe as it's about the same as Uber/Lyft though so I may still change my mind. Have never used Uber or Lyft. Really must give them a try.
We are planning on using the Mears bus service. One of our favorite things about a WDW trip is that we don't have to drive. :)
I booked Mears for our family of 4. I looked into renting a car, but I don't want to own half of it I just want to drive it. Too pricey for me.

Thanks everyone. I have never used Uber nor Lyft. We live in rural Alabama and have never really had the need to use either service. We basically live half an hour from most things (except Dollar Generals because they are everywhere here and smaller local grocery stores, gas stations and restaurants). Maybe this trip will be our first Uber/Lyft experience if the prices aren't surging then (I can't imagine February would be a surge season for them).

Since we knew Magical Express will be gone, we decided to fly into Sanford since the prices were WAY cheaper! We'll probably either uber or order a Mears van from Sanford. Anyone else every fly into Sanford? We've only ever flown into MCO.

It never even crossed my mind to check other airports since our flights weren't that bad price wise.

Thanks everyone. I have never used Uber nor Lyft. We live in rural Alabama and have never really had the need to use either service. We basically live half an hour from most things (except Dollar Generals because they are everywhere here and smaller local grocery stores, gas stations and restaurants). Maybe this trip will be our first Uber/Lyft experience if the prices aren't surging then (I can't imagine February would be a surge season for them).
The only time I have ever used either ride share is in disney. I too live in an extremely rural area and there are no ride shares, taxis or buses for that matter. I put the Lyft app on my phone and tried it one night when waiting for a bus at the end of the night was excruciating. Since then I think I use it more than most transportation on property.

The only time I have ever used either ride share is in disney. I too live in an extremely rural area and there are no ride shares, taxis or buses for that matter. I put the Lyft app on my phone and tried it one night when waiting for a bus at the end of the night was excruciating. Since then I think I use it more than most transportation on property.

Yeah on our 2019 trip I had both Uber and Lyft apps on my phone but never used them. I'll probably download the apps this trip too and be prepared in case we want to try them or need to in a time crunch depending on ADR and such.

We leave in a suburb of Chicago and have never used Lyft or Uber. We have been able to get a Mears taxi at our resort whenever we needed one. We haven't tried it for Disney Springs, though, just mostly for resort to resort transportation to go to restaurants.

New question...Who carries a bag and who goes bagless?

I've done both and prefer bagless but with bag check so easy now I did carry one a couple days on our March trip. Then quit because I really prefer not having anything to carry around. This trip I may have to carry something because we don't really do mid day breaks and I may need to charge my phone some if I'm using it for Genie+ (still not sure if we will even purchase it any or not but know I won't get it for every day) so may need the bag for my external charger. I figure I'll need a jacket in the mornings and evenings and inside restaurants but can tie that around my wait if need be. I did order a small fanny pack that can be carried as a crossbody that would hold my battery charger and cord and a poncho just in case I need one.

For our Jan/Feb trip we will have a backpack for sure as we dress in layers and remove/replace as needed throughout the day.

I've done both and prefer bagless but with bag check so easy now I did carry one a couple days on our March trip. Then quit because I really prefer not having anything to carry around. This trip I may have to carry something because we don't really do mid day breaks and I may need to charge my phone some if I'm using it for Genie+ (still not sure if we will even purchase it any or not but know I won't get it for every day) so may need the bag for my external charger. I figure I'll need a jacket in the mornings and evenings and inside restaurants but can tie that around my wait if need be. I did order a small fanny pack that can be carried as a crossbody that would hold my battery charger and cord and a poncho just in case I need one.
I’m bagless whenever possible, but I have a small wrist bag that I use when necessary (like earlier this month at Disneyland when my phone case wallet kept killing my hotel keycard 🙄😡) I do have a small sling backpack that I bring with me on Disney trips in case I think I’ll need to carry more stuff.

We take a bag because with kids well have layers to change in/out of and of course snacks!

What are you guys hoping will be back in time for our trips that is currently not available?

I am constantly checking on and wishing for a Victoria & Albert's reopening date :rolleyes1:rolleyes1:love:

What are you guys hoping will be back in time for our trips that is currently not available?

I am constantly checking on and wishing for a Victoria & Albert's reopening date :rolleyes1:rolleyes1:love:
Earlier park hopping! And earlier Epcot opening.

Epcot is my least favorite park (mainly because I find it a bit boring and I'm not a foodie and don't drink) but we still go every trip so I hope some of the "entertainment" extras are there by the time we go. I did love the Acrobats in Japan. Maybe with some international travel restrictions being eased in the next couple months there will be some hope for some of those things to return.

I know it's not for everyone but personally, I'm hoping for a return of the Dining Plan.

Please don't try to convince me I'll save money otherwise. I've run all the numbers. I just know it's a huge relief when I don't have to look at the cost of food during our trip and worth paying for dining in advance.

Back to the uber/lyft/mears/rental discussion for a sec.

Has anyone have a rule of thumb on if you've got X number of people for X number of nights which method makes more sense. We've used Uber/Lyft tons (not in Orlando). We'll have 6 adults for 3 nights. For certain, 4 will arrive at MCO on the same flights, not yet sure of the other 2. I was able to reserve a minivan for ~$270 and then we'll have 3 days of parking. I'm just trying to figure out if an uber/lyft for potentially 6 people would compare. I guess just typing this, even if were $100 each direction, it's still notably cheaper, lol. And an uber/lyft would make a stop at a store for a few drinks to keep in the room w/o much add'l cost.

Who carries a bag and who goes bagless?
You have to carry a Smart phone now with everything on MDE, so I've started to use a small purse that hangs off one shoulder rather than stick my phone in a pocket. I also like to use a string bag when I need to carry things like water, a hat, and raingear. Backpacks are too heavy and the string bag is easy to use.

Back to the uber/lyft/mears/rental discussion for a sec.

Has anyone have a rule of thumb on if you've got X number of people for X number of nights which method makes more sense. We've used Uber/Lyft tons (not in Orlando). We'll have 6 adults for 3 nights. For certain, 4 will arrive at MCO on the same flights, not yet sure of the other 2. I was able to reserve a minivan for ~$270 and then we'll have 3 days of parking. I'm just trying to figure out if an uber/lyft for potentially 6 people would compare. I guess just typing this, even if were $100 each direction, it's still notably cheaper, lol. And an uber/lyft would make a stop at a store for a few drinks to keep in the room w/o much add'l cost.

LOL I am like you and do the detail math. I know for hubby and I it will be better to use Mears or Uber/Lyft rather than rent a vehicle but I'm not sure which one we will choose yet. I am holding out to see reviews of the newer Mears bus service compared to ME.

You have to carry a Smart phone now with everything on MDE, so I've started to use a small purse that hangs off one shoulder rather than stick my phone in a pocket. I also like to use a string bag when I need to carry things like water, a hat, and raingear. Backpacks are too heavy and the string bag is easy to use.

Yeah, that's why I am anticipating needing to charge my phone. I did order a fanny pack to test out so I am hoping that I'll like that because it can be worn as a sling across the chest as well. I just need to test out the straps to make sure I can stand them for longer periods of time. If not I may just resort back to my Disney crossbody and just make sure I keep it light on what I take so it doesn't bother me by the end of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter