February 2021 W.I.S.H. - Being your own Fabulous Self

Excellent question... while I was on furlough I walked around the neighborhood a couple times a day, and I would sit on the front porch and soak up the sun (when there was some) and get the fresh air. I worked thru the 'Super Attractor' book and did one of her meditation challenges. When I went back to work I stopped doing most of those good things, but that was also the time when outdoor recreation opened up, so I was able to start my mental health drives.

But I have to say the drives and the trips to the shore and PT are the only good things I've been doing for myself, the rest has been a steady slide downward landing me at the point where I realized something was really wrong. Now it's the long climb back. So far I've started following the MIND Diet plan, which is a combo of the Mediterranean and Dash diets... really balanced and straight forward. I'm doing it totally for my brain health, but did get on the scale this morning and I am 3 pounds lighter than the last time I got on a month ago, so that is a bonus. I've decided to limit my daily to-do list to just a few things that must get done, and then anything above that is a bonus, instead of having a long list that doesn't get done and feeling badly. Yesterday it was going to the store at the mall to return a few things I'd bought on-line, finishing the "Electricity..." book and cleaning up the kitchen counter (which is basically the entire kitchen). That all got done and I finished the laundry, so I get a gold star for the day. Today my to do's are getting my hair cut, cleaning the bathroom and reading some of the "Women with ADHD' book... totally do-able.

Hard one for me... I had so much more me time before than now... with all kids home - it has been a lot & I really have not carved time out for me. Ive started using a planner more diligently to not get overwhelmed w everyones needs... that might not sound like a me time thing but I struggle to sit & do it - however it does help me stay tasked a little better. I also start using Instacart which is a miracle worker for me... it cuts down on extra buys + makes meal planning & the time spent going to the store much nicer. I am trying to work on me time but unless I get out of the house it just doesn’t happen.

Hard one for me... I had so much more me time before than now... with all kids home - it has been a lot & I really have not carved time out for me. Ive started using a planner more diligently to not get overwhelmed w everyones needs... that might not sound like a me time thing but I struggle to sit & do it - however it does help me stay tasked a little better. I also start using Instacart which is a miracle worker for me... it cuts down on extra buys + makes meal planning & the time spent going to the store much nicer. I am trying to work on me time but unless I get out of the house it just doesn’t happen.
My daughter started using Instacart when the pandemic started and loves it. She’s going to continue using it at least during the school year. She loves spending that time with family instead of a grocery store. I think it’s money well spent.

Motivation Monday

It’s a new month & a new day... Are you starting or pursuing anything with a fresh page today? Or dialing something more precisely into your routine for an even finer outcome? Either way... it’s a beautiful day to start✨ Each day is a blessing & there is nothing magical about January 1... go to it and have an amazing day!

A little sunrise at the castle to start your day ☕💙✨

I’m going back to my January reset. I did wel in February, but allowed just a few too many treats. I mostly maintained my loss from January, but not much more was lost in February.

My goal will be to lose 5 pounds. I will do better to stick to my meal plan. I will only drink water, with a treat of a Bai on the weekends. This means no soda and no alcohol. I think that made a big difference in January. I will continue my workouts and daily walks outside unless it’s pouring. This month we transition from winter basketball (son) to spring baseball (son) & lacrosse (daughter). So I’m not exactly sure of that schedule yet or how it will effect my meal planning/snacking. Hopefully I can get enough notice so I can plan accordingly!

Feb was rough for our house. I’m going to start easy...

-waking up earlier for a little time to me ☕
-3 good walks in this week
-2 workouts
-more water

My youngest starts 5 days school this week so this should help. He’s been extra shy since he started in Jan, not talking w kids so I’m hoping this helps. He’s the biggest chatter box at home.

Tennis is starting for the bigs and I think that will be a welcome change to our world.

Maybe silly, but I need more time w my dog... he will be my walk partner. He needs more direction & deserves more too + he’s my favorite 🥰 as our fam jokes 🐾

64D38778-6833-4D40-BB4F-7DDB1D95A903.gif

It’s March! I am feeling motivated this month to finally get rid of these winter pounds. I bought a summer top last week and have hung it on the closet door so I see it every morning. It fits, but will look better after losing weight.

So...
Mindful about portion size
Cut out bread, potatoes, rice this month
Walking at least 5 days out 7
Use my weights every other days

March doesn't like so much like a fresh start, more of a continuation with the right information this time. There's new growth all around, in the last few days early daffodils, crocus and iris have started to pop up... I'm hopeful that the month will bring new growth for me as well. I am going to make it a Mindful March because I think mindfulness is the key to learning how to manage my life better.

I get a gold star for yesterday, my bonus points come from gassing up the car and running it thru the car wash (and not waiting until I was on the way to the ferry Weds to do so), and for stocking up on kitten food before we totally ran out. Today I start tackling the big chore - turning this room into a proper office. It starts with clearing out the closet, which is stacked high with stuff. If I can get half way thru it today I'll be happy. My other must-do is to read more in the ADHD book, I have another counseling appointment this afternoon and would like to get further into the book to talk about it. And I'm headed down to the beach for a walk, as more exercise is a goal for this week.

Reset:
Drinking enough water! I had a good streak going for a little bit during February, but have really fallen off during the last few days.

Maintain:
Exercise routine. I finished exactly on target for February, so I need to make sure I don't get bored/lazy.

New goal:
Start better monitoring the sweets. I've been picking at Valentine's candy a little too much, and Easter candy is looming just around the corner!

Topic Tuesday!

Do you have any interests or pursuits... whether hobby to career related that you have taken an interest in this past year? or have always wanted to pursue? I love seeing how excited my kids are when a new subject strikes their fancy at school... I also love when a subject sparks that flare for learning as an adult still today! How about y’all?​

Last edited:
I find I have been reading more nonfiction this past year-history, biographies (Clementine Churchill, Agatha Christie, Queen Victoria). I have also enjoyed taking virtual tours of museums online. This is something I wouldn’t have taken the time for in the past. And I have started to get interested in gardening again-I love being outside and our flower beds definitely need to be refreshed. We’re also going to try container gardening with tomatoes this summer.

I enjoy looking into history as well... delighted that they have these virtual tourism type of events online now. I saw a really interesting one on Mary Queen of Scots this past summer.

I enjoy getting caught up in Disney history... especially the artists through documentaries & just exploring other pieces of work. Mary Blair 💚💙💜

Reading through & studying up on adhd & dyslexia has really become fascinating... seeing through family connections where traits come from & how they can be slightly different is crazy interesting.

Considering one of the enneagram books 🤔 This is definitely a big thing currently!

I love that quote!!!

I've always been curious and read a wide variety of books. But one thing I've added during the pandemic is "American History TV" - which CSPAN3 switches over to on the weekends. They do college lectures, tours of historic places, author Q&As... It's great! I DVR a few things each weekend and watch them as the mood strikes.

Also a history buff here. Particularly interested when the history is being retold and reframed from the nonsense we were taught when I was in school... which was the white male version. I’ve been learning a lot about interior decorating from a few folks I follow on IG and am finally finding my true style. Thru all my Food TV watching I’ve become a much more discerning eater, still hoping that at some point it will translate into better cooking as well. And now it is digging into AHAD and getting to understand it.

I'm sorry that I have been MIA. It has been very stressful at school and home.

A lot has been piled on my plate at school which is pretty normal pre-pandemic, except that we were promised a more low-key year as far as demands, evals, etc. It really hasn't been the low-pressure year we were supposed to have. I have two new students, so now I have 15 in the room and 3 at home. It has just been frustrating trying to keep up with everything while staying safe...double-masking, wearing the face shield when I leave the safety of my plexiglass enclosed desk, windows open in my freezing cold classroom while others walk around with their noses out of their masks. Yet another good friend quit, which makes me really sad. So many of my friends have either retired or outright quit.

My DH was eligible for the vaccine as of yesterday, and unfortunately, he didn't try to register and schedule first thing in the morning. He was hoping his job would be setting up a clinic, and instead of checking with them last week, he waited until Monday. The company's doctor is retiring and decided not to set up a clinic. So by the time he got home from work, registered, took a break to eat dinner, and then started to set up an appointment, all of the appointments were full in every location within 20 miles up until May. (There's a reason why I'm in charge of getting our Fast Passes.) He was kind of freaked out...we all were. We know that more vaccines are coming, but this process is hard and stressful, especially because he's not proactive nor is he good with technology. I prayed about it last night and put it in God's hands. Then today, a parent of one of my students reached out to me to ask if I needed any help making a vaccine appointment. He works in the call center of an area hospital. I told him that I'm all set, but my DH needed help. When DH got home from work, the father of my student called my DH and scheduled his first and second appointments! I am so grateful for this gift. That one kind act of someone I have never met significantly lowered my stress levels and totally made my day...my week...my month.

Last edited:
Goal for March:

I would like to lose a minimum of 5 pounds, but would prefer more like 7-10 pounds. I have lost 11 pounds so far in 2021, averaging only 5.5 pounds a month. Sweets were the culprit. I have a bad habit of going too far on cheat days and holidays. I need to work on that.

Learning:

All work related. Technology, Distance Learning, teaching socially distanced Kindergarten during a pandemic after teaching Developmentally Appropriate (hands-on) PreK for 20 years.

I love that quote!!!

I've always been curious and read a wide variety of books. But one thing I've added during the pandemic is "American History TV" - which CSPAN3 switches over to on the weekends. They do college lectures, tours of historic places, author Q&As... It's great! I DVR a few things each weekend and watch them as the mood strikes.
Thank you for sharing this!

I'm sorry that I have been MIA. It has been very stressful at school and home.

A lot has been piled on my plate at school which is pretty normal pre-pandemic, except that we were promised a more low-key year as far as demands, evals, etc. It really hasn't been the low-pressure year we were supposed to have. I have two new students, so now I have 15 in the room and 3 at home. It has just been frustrating trying to keep up with everything while staying safe...double-masking, wearing the face shield when I leave the safety of my plexiglass enclosed desk, windows open in my freezing cold classroom while others walk around with their noses out of their masks. Yet another good friend quit, which makes me really sad. So many of my friends have either retired or outright quit.

My DH was eligible for the vaccine as of yesterday, and unfortunately, he didn't try to register and schedule first thing in the morning. He was hoping his job would be setting up a clinic, and instead of checking with them last week, he waited until Monday. The company's doctor is retiring and decided not to set up a clinic. So by the time he got home from work, registered, took a break to eat dinner, and then started to set up an appointment, all of the appointments were full in every location within 20 miles up until May. (There's a reason why I'm in charge of getting our Fast Passes.) He was kind of freaked out...we all were. We know that more vaccines are coming, but this process is hard and stressful, especially because he's not proactive nor is he good with technology. I prayed about it last night and put it in God's hands. Then today, a parent of one of my students reached out to me to ask if I needed any help making a vaccine appointment. He works in the call center of an area hospital. I told him that I'm all set, but my DH needed help. When DH got home from work, the father of my student called my DH and scheduled his first and second appointments! I am so grateful for this gift. That one kind act of someone I have never met significantly lowered my stress levels and totally made my day...my week...my month.
That’s wonderful! How relieved you must be! Hoping things at school become less stressful, though.

I love history too. For a long time I read everything on the Kennedy's. Right now it is England and the Queen

For March my goal is to lose another 2 pounds and get at least an average of 60 minutes of activity a day

I understand your frustration. Thursday opens up 60+ in the area and I have been trying to get my step dad set up with an appointment. We just have to go each place to find a spot. He is being difficult and if it wasn't for me would not even look. I am so glad you were able to have a parent help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter