February 2017 Wish Lifestyle / Weight Challenge: Beat the Sugar Rush and Earn Your Hero Medal!

February 2 -- Celebrate Your Inner Hero
giphy.gif

Let's Focus on the Positivity Today!
Fix it Felix Jr is a compassionate hero in "Wreck it Ralph". He's a stand-up guy who is loved by the townsfolk of Niceland. His programming is to wield his golden hammer and fix all of the havoc that Ralph causes during the game. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the one pictured in today's .gif -- Felix realizing that sometimes he has too much positivity ;)

I feel that we can never have too much positivity in our lives. Often, we are our harshest critic. So today is a celebration of YOU. We are going to highlight some AWESOME things about you and your life.

Question of the Day:

Let's grab our golden hammers and fix our opinions about ourselves. Let's embrace Felix's
positivity and share some AWESOME things about yourself. List between 3-5 things you
like about yourself. It can be physical appearance, hobbies, material possessions, accomplishments
or anything you can think of. Let's embrace our inner hero and share things that make you happy!

1. I love my job. I still get to work with kids (now it is the big kids and not the babies) and help them through college. My job is also very flexible and family comes first. Oh and my boss is the best.

2. I am very kind and caring.

3. I am really liking the direction I am headed with the way I look. I am finally understanding how to do my hair. It only took 37 years! I am proud that I have kept off the 10 pounds that I lost and continuing to lose. Normally after a few months I start to gain it back. I am starting to feel more confident in how I look.

++++++++++

Yesterday was woohoo Wednesday and with the start of the month I forgot to say one. So here it is. Yesterday I got a new second monitor for work. It is a lot newer and much bigger then the one I had. I love it.

Also, I have had this goal for awhile now where I wanted to hit 5 miles walking. I did it yesterday. I walked a little over 13,000 steps. I know I can't do this every day as i just don't have the time but I am going to continue to try. The next goal is to have 5 miles and hit the calorie goal on the fit bit. I think it 2,000 calories burned. I am close but have never hit it yet. On the dashboard for the fitbit I want all the goals to be green including getting 250+every hour. I will get there one day. Just something to challenge myself to keep going.

I missed my opportunity to check in here yesterday at work. Busy morning that led to a busy afternoon! So I'm definitely in this month.

A tiny intro - I'm Paige. I'm 24 and live in KCMO. I have an adorable cat child that you can see on Instagram. I'm "paigevader" on there. Last year I went through a divorce so this year is a dedication and focus solely on me and what makes me happy. Unfortunately, food makes me happy lol. Or I should say, it fills a void when I feel emotional or like I just "need to relax". So my goal is to figure out how to bring balance to that so I don't feel deprived but also don't over indulge. I lost almost 60 pounds over the last couple of years and gained about 20 back.

That said, I'm shifting my focus away from the scale! I weighed this morning and I won't be weighing again until May 1st. Reason being, I'm shifting my focus away from cardio and focusing on my nutrition and weight lifting. I would like to be more focused on the way I look and feel about myself versus what a number on the scale says. I know that if I focus on the right things then fat will melt off and that's really my overall goal. Plus I follow so many people that say that they'll lose like 5 pounds but so many inches and they look great. Or you see people that show their before and after with focusing on muscle building and they weigh more but are leaner.

GOAL: I will get up at 5am and work out 15/20 week days for this month! Those work outs will consist of a little cardio (15-20 minutes) and then focus on weight lifting.

PLAN: Set an alarm for 5am every day. Give myself 2 minutes if I feel tempted to go back to sleep. If I still want to sleep then I'll do it.

OBSTACLES: Me? Laziness? Haha.

QOTD

1. My wit
2. My love for Disney
3. The initiative I take at work.

Unfortunately I can say the same thing, I guess it is a reflection of what kind of society we live in:sad1: I hope I am able to keep my daughters from feeling the same way.

I'm constantly saying that I wish I was as skinny as I was back in high school when I thought I was fat. In junior high I was probably 40 pounds lighter than I am now and still couldn't get thin enough! It's so sad. I hope that we're all making a change for future kids to realize that weight and body isn't the end all, be all. I love the BoPo movement. I'm not there yet with myself. That said, I love following along and reading their nuggets of wisdom and encouragement.

giphy.gif

Fix it Felix Jr is a compassionate hero in "Wreck it Ralph". He's a stand-up guy who is loved by the townsfolk of Niceland. His programming is to wield his golden hammer and fix all of the havoc that Ralph causes during the game. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the one pictured in today's .gif -- Felix realizing that sometimes he has too much positivity ;)

I feel that we can never have too much positivity in our lives. Often, we are our harshest critic. So today is a celebration of YOU. We are going to highlight some AWESOME things about you and your life.

Question of the Day:

Let's grab our golden hammers and fix our opinions about ourselves. Let's embrace Felix's
positivity and share some AWESOME things about yourself. List between 3-5 things you
like about yourself. It can be physical appearance, hobbies, material possessions, accomplishments
or anything you can think of. Let's embrace our inner hero and share things that make you happy!
Some awesome things about me:
I'm really creative, compulsively creative... can't stop myself creative. I'm a big crafter, and as y'all already know I'm currently obsessed with yarn and knitting and have been taking classes to up my skill level. I'm feeling really good about the socks currently on my needles, and my next project, which is also currently on needles (there's no such thing as too many WIP's) is color work. But I also apply creativity to problem solving and everyday life stuff.

I've recently had two people who used to work for me say I was their best/favorite manager, which felt really good because I constantly doubted myself. Granted the steady flow of treats and regular team potlucks might have something to do with it, but heck, why shouldn't work be fun? Now that I'm not managing people and I have someone who is actually trying to manage me, I can look back and see where I was stronger than I thought at the time.... very similar to having been skinnier than thought...

On to other stuff:
I've been supper crabby the past few days, and have had at least one anger flash each day, ok, maybe more than one... good thing my bosses have been ooo. I'm in a better frame of mind so far this morning, but it's still early so we shall see. I've been bringing my sock knitting to work with me and whenever I get frazzled I knit a row... it's really helping me to re-group... and get my sock done.

upload_2017-2-2_8-17-32.png

Last edited:

Things I like about me? I'll do all five! ;P

-Like Oneanne, I'm pathologically creative. I truly can't look at something without thinking how I could mess with it.
- I'm scary smart... After three years staying home with a special needs child, I haven't gotten to "flex" that for a while, but being back in school is showing me that I've still got it. It's rusty, but it's there.
-Put those two together, and I'm a really great teacher... not like a school teacher, although I used to volunteer-tutor on the weekends before my kids were born but I am very good at figuring out how people think and explaining things in ways they can "get." I used to want to be a "real" teacher, but then I saw all the nonsense and bureaucracy they have to deal with and said, umm, no... (because again... scary smart...)
-I'm different
-I'm genuine

List between 3-5 things you

Not that I hate myself or anything, but it really is kind of hard to name things I like about myself. Don't know if it's because it feels like bragging or what, but I'll try:

I'm a hard worker. At my job, I put everything into it and really enjoy what I do and the people I work with.

I'm a good mom. I love my kids and would do anything for them - they are turning out to be really great people, so I must be doing something ok!

I'm honest. If I tell someone I'll do something, I'm going to do it.

Some of the other things I thought of made me wonder why I'm not good at losing weight! I feel like I'm dedicated and a planner. It seems like if I'm dedicated to a task and like to plan, I'd be good at meal planning and following through with it, but that seems to be a problem of mine!

Question of the Day:

Not that I hate myself or anything, but it really is kind of hard to name things I like about myself. Don't know if it's because it feels like bragging or what, but I'll try:

I totally agree with you... I have been putting off answering this all day! Haha!

Ok----

1) I'm book smart. But also good with critical and creative thinking. Not common sense smart though-- that's what DH is for! He's the balance to me being the dreamer!
2) Super good at planning trips. In my next life I will be a travel agent. I give myself major props for planning a successful trip to Japan. Not having any romance language/latin alphabet to rely on at times was intimidating for sure, but I managed just fine!
3) I'm compassionate. And selfishly love how I feel when I give to others. My Thursday nights volunteering with the shelter kitties bring me so much joy.
4) Material possessions--that's not usually included! Usually it's only personality traits. I'm somewhat materialistic so this is a category I can get behind! Haha! I hate to sound so shallow, but my engagement ring is my favorite thing I own probably. Fun story-- the first night I met DH, we were talking about rings (don't even know why!) and he basically guessed exactly what my dream ring would be. He was dead on and 3 years later bought it for me.

Some of the other things I thought of made me wonder why I'm not good at losing weight! I feel like I'm dedicated and a planner. It seems like if I'm dedicated to a task and like to plan, I'd be good at meal planning and following through with it, but that seems to be a problem of mine!

I hear ya! I love planning but have such a time applying it to my weight loss!

Ok, I will give this a try despite feeling rather lousy due to some kind of digestive tract issue (you don't want to know specifics). Not sure if I have a bug or ate something that was off...

1) I am a very good cook. Or, as my sister would phrase it: When I cook something, it will be very tasty. I am not good at keeping the kitchen clean in the process, it tends to look rather like a huge big chaos afterwards.

2) I am a critical thinker. I am good at analyzing situations and problems, getting quickly down to the real underlying issues.

3) I am a very loyal person. If you have earned my friendship and trust I will defend you against everyone and help you as much as I can.

4) I have really beautiful natural curls. I used to hate my hair, but thanks to learning how to manage it, I have now embraced my curls. I never straighten it myself, but when I go to the hairdresser for a cut, I always have her make it straight afterwards and admire myself in the mirror all day long. Next morning it is gone. My friends hate those hair dresser days as they say that I do not look like myself.

5) I have a really nice condo in a refurbished Art Nouveau apartment building. The whole building was redone about 10 years ago (and converted into condos)and is kept very much in the original style, I still have the original stucco ornaments in all the rooms around where the light is installed for example. I absolutely love my place!

This was hard for me too but I think I finally came up with some:

-I am determined and won't back down from a challenge
-I am a great chef/baker
-I always see the best in everyone
-I love my blue eyes
-I am a very spontaneous person and am always up for a new adventure

First of all I managed 22 laps in my 14 minutes of walk time and added 3 minutes with a 2 pound weighted ball and some resistance bands.

QOTD

I love various quotes and even have a few on my pintrest ( if you wish to follow me please PM me and I will link you)
I come up with what some might call interesting combinations for my nails. The single accent nail is not enough for me.
I have exactly what 2 times I can get a flight from my home airport memorized in order to get to WDW in time for dinner using my airline of choice.
When I decide I want to do something for me not because others expect me to I go for it.
I am a champion sneak when it comes to buying gifts for my kids often when they are right with me. ( A mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do and when your kid spots a necklace they have to have days before Christmas you wait till they are off looking at something else have the cashier at the thrift shop wrap it and then sneak it and the ring up in with your other purchases later. Bring it home and about 13 months later when it was all forgotten about give it as a birthday gift)

February 3 - Motivation for Improvement
giphy.gif

The... "Ah Ha!" Moment
While at a Bad Guy Support Group, Ralph reaches his breaking point and decides that he no longer wants to be the bad guy. He's tired of being disrespected by the citizens of Niceland; wants to be included on the top of the cake; and maybe move into the tower he destroys as part of his programming. It's time for change... he's going to do something about it.

Question of the Day:
Let's talk about your "ah ha" moment. When do you recognize that you needed to make a change?
Do you have something motivating you to reach the finish line?

Bonus Question: name your favorite video game 'bad guy'.

Thursday's QOTD -

Thinking about this question made me realize what a negative spiral I am in. I know that I have many great qualities but I'm just so stuck on all of the things I don't like!

OK! Positive thoughts!!

1. I have really nice eyes. Big, bluish-green, and framed with a full set of long curly eyelashes.

2. I'm smart, analytical, logical, and determined. I can puzzle out a solution to most problems and once I get past my initial sloth/procrastination/inertia, I won't give up until I find my answer.

3. I'm kind of like a mallomar - a little hard on the outside but really soft and sweet at the core. I'm a genuinely kind person with a strong commitment to civility in our chaotic world.

4. I'm intellectually curious. I really like to learn new things and sometimes wish I could officially be a student forever. I'm currently trying to simultaneously refresh my college French and teach myself Japanese, Calculus, and how to play the piano. I have very little free time beyond my train commute so my progress is minimal but it makes me happy. :)

5. I make fabulous bakery quality sourdough bread. Some part of my kitchen is nearly always covered in flour because I am also a messy cook (happy to read I'm not the only one) and I feed my starter every day but it is so worth it.

teach myself Japanese

Oh!! I need to hear more about it! I was thinking that I need to try to pick up some Japanese before we go there this summer. And I have no clue where to start and how to find something to teach me without having to go to any lessons (which are too expensive if it is one to one tuition and too boring for me if it is a group course as I am usually quite quick at picking up languages).

And wanted to say that your bread sounds amazing!!

giphy.gif

The... "Ah Ha!" Moment
While at a Bad Guy Support Group, Ralph reaches his breaking point and decides that he no longer wants to be the bad guy. He's tired of being disrespected by the citizens of Niceland; wants to be included on the top of the cake; and maybe move into the tower he destroys as part of his programming. It's time for change... he's going to do something about it.

Question of the Day:
Let's talk about your "ah ha" moment. When do you recognize that you needed to make a change?

After years of slowly increasing angst over my ever expanding girth and declining healthy, my aha moment was a nasty experience with a woman who fat shamed me on a train last year. I can't say that she put me on the fast track to success but it was a much needed wake up call that I am in control of my health and I absolutely have control over what I eat and how much I move my body. I'm still in the process of baby-stepping my way into a sustainable healthy lifestyle (sudden drastic changes are an absolute no-go for me) but I can feel that I am making progress in my bones.

I don't have a specific finish line motivator. I've got a lot of travel planned in 2018 and the subsequent few years and I know that I will be a significantly more comfortable globe trotter if I have no worries regarding whether my rear end will fit in an airplane seat. But really, I just want to get to good health. And a new wardrobe. :)

Bonus QOTD - I'm not really a gamer beyond my secret addiction to Disney Emoji Blitz. Ursula would have to be my favorite bad guy there because she is by far my strongest emoji.

My ah-ha moment would probably just be seeing myself in recent photos. In my mind I never thought I was getting much bigger even as my weight started to climb but with the photos it was right there in front of me. While I had time off work over the holidays I began reading all the Disney Run stories and training logs and they inspired me to get moving again. Once I set a specific goal I'm good about sticking to the plan so once I developed a training plan and signed up for a race it was a done deal. Now I just stick to the plan until it becomes routine. Getting up at 4:50 am to exercise before work gets easier everyday.

Oh!! I need to hear more about it! I was thinking that I need to try to pick up some Japanese before we go there this summer. And I have no clue where to start and how to find something to teach me without having to go to any lessons (which are too expensive if it is one to one tuition and too boring for me if it is a group course as I am usually quite quick at picking up languages).

And wanted to say that your bread sounds amazing!!

I taught myself hiragana and katakana with this book:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0824831640/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_0824831640

I've also been going through Pimsleur Japanese with a set of CDs I bought at a used book store. Old school and kind of sexist but my grandfather traveled constantly for work and it was his company's language learning method of choice. I am able to have hello/how are you conversations with the servers at our neighborhood sushi restaurant and I'm not more than ten lessons in.

I've got the Genki textbook/CDs (also used) but I haven't actually opened them.

I also sometimes fall asleep listening to Japanese podcasts, specifically one by a woman with a very soothing voice called Japanese Classical Literature at Bedtime. I can't really make out more than one word every few minutes but it puts me to sleep and maybe my brain subconsciously picks out a few things.

Question of the Day:

Tough one for me.... I am always ready to tell you my flaws though! Anyhow....

1. Nice hair.... natural blonde (with some grey that is pretty well disguised with the blonde).... fairly strong and straight.

2. I'm generally well organized and a good planner.... which I think definitely benefits my weight loss/weight maintenance journey.

3. I've got some mad typing skills.... both speed and accuracy (although I'll be the first to admit sometimes the speed takes over!) and that helps me in many aspects of life!

4. I think I'm pretty good as a WW leader and really good as a 24/7 Expert Chat coach.

5. I'm a good.... GREAT Mom.... and I've got two outstanding adult children to prove it!

Hey all.... sorry I got behind schedule so early in the month! And I've got a class in 7 minutes, so no time for today's QOTD yet. Thursday has turned out to be my busiest day of the month with an early a.m. 24/7 shift, then (usually) work at school, and then a 4:30 pm WW meeting, and then a late evening 24/7 shift! So obviously no Disboard time!

On a good note.... I'm teaching music yesterday and today so we get to watch Disney sing-along videos! Yeah! ................P

I use the Human Japanese app. I don't remember if I paid for it or not, if I did it was only a couple of dollars.

giphy.gif

The... "Ah Ha!" Moment

Question of the Day:

Well, how timely is this question... I ended up working a half day yesterday because I got to feeling really crappy and just didn't want to be here. So it was kind of rock bottom for me. I really need to do a 21 or 30 cleanse/detox to reset but have been dragging my feet putting it off because it's such a challenge to do - but no more. With the trip to the beach later this month, where eating at the good restaurants is a major component, I can't get in either 21 or 30 days prior to the trip, so I'm going to at least do a transition period where I cut out a couple of the things that are really bothering me. Then after the beach I'll do an actual program. I'm going to contact the Nutritionist I've worked with in the past to see if she's got any programs going, as I really liked doing it in a group, but either way major changes are on the way.

As off as I've been feeling, I've decided not to go snowshoeing this weekend... instead I'm going to stick close to home and do some serious purging, and also some sewing as I've run out of things to wear. It's supposed to be pretty rainy, so possibly a movie might be nice.

Hope all have a happy and healthful weekend!

giphy.gif

The... "Ah Ha!" Moment

Question of the Day:

I have know for awhile that I needed to lose weight and every year I would try lose up to 10 pounds in a few months, gain it back plus some. I didn't realize how bad it was though until last year (Christmas of 2015). Up until them I didn't see myself as big. But about this time though I did start feeling uncomfortable in the car and laying bed. I had decided in early December that I was going to lose weight. Really this is the time every year that I said this. Every year I start Jan 1. My grandfather is a photographer so every get together we have to have a ton of pictures taken. Thankfully he hasn't put all us grandkids in row first by age then by height. Since my sister does not go to see this side of the family I am the oldest and I am the shortest except for a few much young cousins that are quickly passing me. Ok back on topic. One of the pictures he took and posted to facebook I looked big. I got on the scale after that and I was 150 pounds. I needed to make the change. I started like other years this this time I found this group. Thought I will just try it out not thinking it would last. Well it has and it has been the first year I have kept the weight off.

For a long time I did not have a motivational end goal. A few weeks ago I remembered a dress that i love and only got to wear it once before I started having kids and gaining weight. This is my goal. I want to fit into it again. I want to do this by the time we go on a cruise in summer of 2018. This gives me plenty of time.

Bonus questions. I only play the Wii sports and those type of games.

Some part of my kitchen is nearly always covered in flour because I am also a messy cook (happy to read I'm not the only one)

I am a messy cook as well. My husband hates it. he is the complete opposite. I have gotten better though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts